Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Ramps/Rampaí" signs - the most pointless signs in the world?

• 04-02-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any idea what the point is of those signs indicating that there are ramps in a sidestreet?

Fair enough if I've turned into the sidestreet and am approaching these ramps (or more precisely, speed bumps), then a "ramps ahead for 200m" or similar sign is appropriate.

However if I'm going straight on, what's the point in telling me that there are ramps down a street I've no intention of turning into? There's enough distracting clutter on the roadside without adding to it (and wasting taxpayers' money in the process).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Because if they weren't there people would claim off the local council claiming for damages to their car because they didn't know the ramp was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

bennyx_o wrote:
    Because if they weren't there people would claim off the local council claiming for damages to their car because they didn't know the ramp was there.

That makes no sense. Could the councils not just put the signs on the road where the ramps are, rather than on the main road outside, pointing into an estate. That's useless information - motorists don't care that there are ramps down a sidestreet or in an estate. The time to tell them about the ramps is once they've turned into the sidestreet, surely?

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I suppose you do have a point, but I don't see what the problem with the signs is. It's not like they're oversized or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The reason for informing motorists about ramps on a side street is to deter motorists from using than street as a short cut. Many residential streets in cities are used as "rat runs" to get from one arterial route to another, much to the annoyance of those living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Hey the driver of a 30ton low loader may need this info before committing to the turn?

• Advertisement

The reason for informing motorists about ramps on a side street is to deter motorists from using than street as a short cut. Many residential streets in cities are used as "rat runs" to get from one arterial route to another, much to the annoyance of those living there.
    The road I live on is like that, and the council wont put ramps on it. It takes longer to take the "shortcut" down me road than to continue along the Howth Road, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hmmm...Checkout the company that makes the signposts and the signs themselves...........Go back into the mists of time and look for contributions to the party etc....:confused:
    Talk about conspiracy theories..!!!!! :D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

"Stealth-Ramps" are a pet hate of mine. The ones with no markings on them, due to dirt or resurfacing. They drive me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

The biggest offender here is the entire village of Kilcoole, the signs lasted a few months and the paint is washed with field mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Rampaí is the Irish for bumpy shortcut. This sign let's you know that the turn-off leads somewhere useful. I like this sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

OTK wrote:
    Rampaí is the Irish for bumpy shortcut. This sign let's you know that the turn-off leads somewhere useful. I like this sign.

Yes, I've often followed signs like this around the city while looking for the quickest way around. Talk about a counter-productive solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Royal Lion

is it just me or are there too many street signs in general. i mean take a look at Rathmines road! we only need half of the amount of unnecessary street clutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The sign is to inform drivers before they turn that there's ramps there, which should reduce the level of traffic using the road. If you've a low slung car, then you are stuck, as you can't go on and can't reverse back onto the main road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you've a low slung car, then you are stuck, as you can't go on and can't reverse back onto the main road

If the ramps were such that a car could not get over them then some cars could not visit the street in question. Legal ramps are supposed to slow you down not prevent you driving over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ardmacha wrote: »
    If the ramps were such that a car could not get over them then some cars could not visit the street in question. Legal ramps are supposed to slow you down not prevent you driving over them.

And you think we fit legal ramps everywhere?

Actually, does anyone have the required spec for ramps here? There are three in Maynooth which are dangerous to take at anything above 20km/h in my car despite the road being posted for 50km/h!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ardmacha wrote: »
    Legal ramps are supposed to slow you down not prevent you driving over them.
    I don't understand the point you are making. Some exclusive sports cars are fitted with a facility to raise the front of the car to enable them to get over some ramps without damaging the car. Otherwise they would be unable to enter that particular street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i can hardly get my car into the drive let alone over a ramp....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't understand the point you are making.

I am agreeing with you, the signs have to do with discouraging people from using the road rather than warning people that they may have to turn back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

A lot of ramps are designed not to slow down the emergency services so you can drive over them without slowing down if you know the right way to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A lot of ramps are designed not to slow down the emergency services so you can drive over them without slowing down if you know the right way to do it!

Unlike the ones on Nutley Lane, en route to St. Vincents hospital in Dublin4....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Unlike the ones on Nutley Lane, en route to St. Vincents hospital in Dublin4....

Did you ever see them on the East Wall Road, up by Annesley Bridge?

Absolutely no height to them whatsoever yet people still slow down.

A friend of mine who is a cop says the best thing to do is line the bump up with the middle of the car in line with the middle of the bump. Then drive over at 50km/h.

Works fine for me.

Did you ever see them on the East Wall Road, up by Annesley Bridge?

Absolutely no height to them whatsoever yet people still slow down.

They've achieved their aim then without wrecking your car, when I was at college, there were some small speed bumps, like half a telegraph pole in profile.
    Hit them at anything less than 35mph and they'd shake the car, over fine. Kill the suspension after a while though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For some reason, in England they same contraptions are called "Humps".

I can understand the rationale for them in housing estates. On the Strawberry Beds Road they are just plain annoying though - this is a main road, for goodness sake.

icdg wrote: »
    For some reason, in England they same contraptions are called "Humps".

They give you the hump having to drive over the damned things! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wasn't there something about 400 people extra dying a year in london because of delays to ambulances after taking into account those saved by reducing joy riders.

there are some places where every second ramp can be done at 50km/hr and the others you have to slow right down - it's so inconsistent :mad::mad::mad:
    the problem is that ramps here are so different to each other , even on the same stretch of road, and don't get me started on the ones made from bricks at 45 degree angle like in palmerston rd area.

there is a design of rubber ramp like a belows if a car drives ovee it , it stays inflated , if a bigger thing like a fire engine or ambulance hits it at speed the pressure is enough to open the valve and vent all the air so it delates, after wards it returns to it's orignal shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A friend of mine who is a cop says the best thing to do is line the bump up with the middle of the car in line with the middle of the bump. Then drive over at 50km/h.

Works fine for me.

Due to bad design, most of SDCC's speed humps are so narrow I can do this in my very narrow car - they're designed to be wide enough for an ambulance or bus to not get bounced around, not a Fiat Panda!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MYOB wrote: »
    Due to bad design, most of SDCC's speed humps are so narrow I can do this in my very narrow car - they're designed to be wide enough for an ambulance or bus to not get bounced around, not a Fiat Panda!
    SDCC have lots that extend the full width of the road , not cyclist friendly and yes those ones tend to be the most inconsistent ones, the ones with gaps are great as they don't slow you down at all unless there is some other reason to slow down.

Advertisement