Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I mad to avoid Vista?

• 04-02-2007 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Picking up Laptop and have found an Acer, Intel dual core T5500 with XP professional. Just think new Vista is

a) likely to be riddled with bugs
    b) likely to be the no 1 target for every enterprising hacker/virus composer accross the world right now
    c) ikely to be full of annoying gimmicks (like the clock and 'click for news' thing) and more difficult to get used to than the tried and tested XP prof platform.

Any thoughts? Am I Victor Meldew?

PS is the marketing of this processor as ideal for multi-tasking, which I'm always at, just hype or will it make a difference.

And does anyone know if the Word and Outlook in the basic Office edition are good versions or are they crap?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Well I dont intend on getting Vista for a few months, the whole idea of bugs and stuff, and compatability issues is putting me off. Maybe im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, I will be holding off buying Vista for a long while. It's not so much the Victor Meldrew Syndrome, more the Why Bother Syndrome. I use my laptop for general stuff, I have no need for Vista. My HTPC is trundling along nicely running XP, no need for it there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

To be honest I'd be slow to put vista on a laptop with anything less than 2 gigs of ram. Don't think bugs are a major issue with vista, been using it on and off regularly for a month now and bugs haven't been an issue so far.

However I'd be in the why bother boat when it comes to upgrading. XP is more than fine at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

a)been using vista for two months, no bug in vista, some software hasn't been updated for vista and won't work, some manufacturers haven't updated drivers. Most stuff i've tried has worked, been impressed with lack of problems, wouldn't worry about bugs as such

b)vista security is better than xp, less likely to get scripts executing, system more locked down. xp being the more popular os will still be targetted much more for the moment, might be some security holes, but microsoft should react quickly to fix problems as with xp

c)vistas better than xp. more user friendly, looks better, a few new handy features.

really depend on what you'll be using the pc for. Mostly email, word processing, office, vista probably better. Gaming, better to wait till you need to switch. If you think you need xp for certain software then stick with it, it's still fine for a year or two yet, but vista is better i think, even with 1gig ram.

if you don't need to upgrade from xp wait a while. if your buying a new pc consider vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eolhc wrote:
    a
    c)vistas better than xp. more user friendly, looks better, a few new handy features.
    like what eolhc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭alancool

This is a bit of a geek story....

Me: "Im thinking about getting one of these ibooks" as I show a colleague the spec at my desk.

Colleague: "Really?"

IT Director: Enters the room silently, approches my desk, no doubt expecting to catch me looking at something I shouldn't. "Oh Sony are the best!"

Me: I quickly browse to sony.ie and look at an ugly Viao, "Really?"

IT Director: "Yeah they're good except when something goes wrong. You have to go looking for parts."

Me: I browse back to the ibook spec

IT Director: "Do they come with windows?"

Me: I turn and look at him, "No, Mac OSx"

IT Director: Tuts and lets out sharp sigh as to suggest he wouldn't go for that rubbish.

Me: I exclaimed, "but they look great!!" and they do.

My question is not is he ignorant or ill informed (maybe I'll put that on another post) but with the release of Vista is there not an opportunity for Mr Jobs to capitalise on the sceptism surrounding Vista?

Alan:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'd be inclined to hold off Vista for a while but...

Part of the problem with holding off is that if you are planning on any major upgrades to newer software within the next six months or so you'll find it increasingly difficult to get any that isn't specifically designed for Vista.

Of course lots of the software will be 'backwards compatible' but probably made so by turning off or reducing the abilities of many of the newer features that you wanted to use in the first place!

That could just be my scepticism but that's how I see things right now. As I say, I'd be tempted to hold off but if I was buying a completely new system right now I'd buy one with Vista installed.

Very mixed message but there you go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

New pc = get vista but I'd rather spend my money on Beer than upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

alancool wrote:
    This is a bit of a geek story....

Me: "Im thinking about getting one of these ibooks" as I show a colleague the spec at my desk.

Colleague: "Really?"

IT Director: Enters the room silently, approches my desk, no doubt expecting to catch me looking at something I shouldn't. "Oh Sony are the best!"

Me: I quickly browse to sony.ie and look at an ugly Viao, "Really?"

IT Director: "Yeah they're good except when something goes wrong. You have to go looking for parts."

Me: I browse back to the ibook spec

IT Director: "Do they come with windows?"

Me: I turn and look at him, "No, Mac OSx"

IT Director: Tuts and lets out sharp sigh as to suggest he wouldn't go for that rubbish.

Me: I exclaimed, "but they look great!!" and they do.

My question is not is he ignorant or ill informed (maybe I'll put that on another post) but with the release of Vista is there not an opportunity for Mr Jobs to capitalise on the sceptism surrounding Vista?

Apple computers now use Intel processors so you could just install XP now anyway.

I'd take Vista if I had a gig of ram and met the other specs. Might end up adding memory afterwards though.

I think Vista has good enough security features, I'd be more worried about incompatible drivers/software tbh. I'd probably go for it and end up regretting it but its up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Bugs and all that other stuff aside. I'm a bit more concerned with the fancy new active desktop they have. I've its very, very memory hungry like. And for what, just so u can have a slightly nicer looking desktop?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

alancool wrote:

Sorry to go OT, but if you check out the latest "I'm a mac, I'm a PC" ads you'll see that that's exactly what he's trying to do... problem being that those ads have done little other than patronise PC owners and make Mac users look like smug gits.

Back on topic, I've not intention of upgrading to Vista, but as I'm on the lookout for a new PC in the coming months I won't go out of my way to avoid it either.
    Basically there's nothing about it that I "need" and the whole incompatability issue is a bit put off, but as was pointed out, sticking with XP for too long may make you feel somewhat neglected as MS purposely try to make anything new Vista-only (quick example - Halo 2 on PC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would hold of on buying it but if I was buying a new laptop or desktop right now, it would certainly save you money in the long term to go with Vista now - certainly if you plan to in the next year anyway. There will be bugs but you shouldn't have any annoying drivers issues.

Advertisement