Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definition Of Lag...

Options
  • 04-02-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

ok, well i've been tryin to fix this myself for quiet some time but it's just not happening.

the problem: well i join a server on bf2/bf2142 and the lag is emmense to put it lightly, unplayable... (but i'd like to point out that i have made a long distance kill, my proudest achievement i think) its that whole one second delay thing like on a realy crapey cctv playback.

things you should know..i guess: i have an eircom wireless box, i hear they're pretty dodgy for gaming with but i'm not certain, i've already turned the voip off and it hasn't worked and i have reinstalled and updated punkbuster. of course i have my firewalls turned off and all other programs that don't need to be on.

i realy need help here, i haven't played in 4 monthes or so and in that time i've bought an xbox 360 and a good few games but none of them deliver what bf does.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is the lag constant or just at the beginning? PB updates sometimes and it causes lag at the start, i usually hide till it passes, if you have played in 4 months it may need a big update.

Does the 360 lag online or any other games?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭up'Chuck

well the lag is so bad i can't play for more than 3 mins tops... i'd say, cause it's so depressing getting killed every two seconds and not being able to do anything about it. and i haven't used the 360 online, but i might give that a check and get back to you. it's bit late now so i'll do it tomorow after school :(.. bf will be the downfall of my leaving cert. thanks tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Maybe it could be your pc? Not able to run bf2 very well? I play everything on low and its still a bit jittery :D

EDIT: lol.. google gave me this might want to take a look

http://bf2lag.com/top5tips.html

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is your wireless network secured?
    What is your signal strength?
    Who do you work for?

DEAFVISION: well my pc is very low on memory, only about 8 gb left of 150 gb. all that stuff on that website is a bit over my head, but i'll give it a shot if nothin else works..thanks

Krazy_8's:

>don't know how to check that or what it means
    >my signal varies, one minute it's excellent, the next its good then very good and then it's low for about a week.
    >EA, and i'm gonna f*ck up all your pc's and then charge you excessive amounts for cheaply made products.

kdjacl: i need to update my xbox before i can use it online but it can't download the update, it keeps telling me to check my network settings, thats gotta have something to do with my broadband box. thoughts?

• Advertisement

How much ram and what kind of graphics card you got?

intel(R)
    pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    2.99GHz, 1.00gb of ram

i have no idea what the name of my graphics card is but its standard one for a dell dimension 8400

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Open up a dos window/command prompt
    (Start-run-"cmd")
    then type
    ping -n 20 www.jolt.co.uk

Also, when you are joining a server, make sure you are ordering them by latency/ping and pick the lowest one (that is not 0)

Open up a dos window/command prompt
    (Start-run-"cmd")
    then type
    ping -n 20 www.jolt.co.uk
    and post us the results

Also, when you are joining a server, make sure you are ordering them by latency/ping and pick the lowest one (that is not 0)

i'm entering 'ping -n20' and it's saying 'value must be supplied for option -n20'.

all the other ways i entered it didn't work.

p.s i realy appreciate all the help guys, sorry for being so dense at computers :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

you have to type in www.jolt.co.uk after 'ping -n20'.

Which you probably did, but just checking.

Also, I'd definitely find out the type of gfx card you have, as that may be a contributing factor to jittery / laggy graphics, in a way.

mmmm, i wasn't and then when i did all this sh*te appeared so i took down what i thought was important, read on...

ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    packet: sent = 20, recieved = 20, lost = 0 (0% loss),
    approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
    minimum = 42ms, maximum = 65ms, average = 54ms

to me all that seems like its saying my pc did a good thing.. but i'm probably wrong.

ok, do you have the option of using a network cable to connect to your router/modem?
    Their should be a network port (a bit bigger than a phone socket) on the router/modem.
    This should give you better pings, I would have said that yours are quite slow...

Try posting in the broadband section aswell, people there will be able to give you their results to compare to...

Also, have you tried turning the graphics down to minimum?

you have a 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT so its not your graphics card anyway.. Its either internet or ram... more than likely internet cause its wireless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DeafVision wrote:
    you have a 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT so its not your graphics card anyway.

How do you know that?

guessing its the default card for your system (on the Dell site)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

His ping isnt that bad, its quite reasonable infact.

You think?
    'Id be looking for a ping of about half that to a uk server.

What are the pings of the servers you are trying to connect to?

Im usually happy with anything uder 80 ms

i'm never realy concious of the ping, the thing about it being the wireless thats confusing me is i played 2142 on a wireless connection for over a month with it and there were no problems. i might give it a shot using the ethernet wire as greebo suggested.

i restored all my graphics to default so it shouldn't be them.

• Advertisement

Im usually happy with anything uder 80 ms
    Thats in game though right?
    A direct ping from a command prompt should be quicker.

or right i see.

OP, do you have any problems playing single player?
    Or how about any other online games?

GreeBo wrote:
    OP, do you have any problems playing single player?
    Or how about any other online games?

sorry, didn't realise this was directed at me :p i don't go on alot of forums.

rite so i tried out my singleplayer and it was grand.. perfect infact.. well accept for the sh*tty AI but thats enither here nor there.

i have noticed something, when the game is trying to access my account it takes a good 2 - 3 mins to do so and when i update the servers it takes a good few mins, basically whenever the game has to access the internet it takes ages, this has to mean its my connection.

bf is the only online game i play, its the only one worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

If you have a wireless connection I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to "borrow" it :D

Check your Netopia web page as well. http://192.168.1.254/ and restart the connection. If that doesn't work there should be a small hole in the back of your router for a master reset, hold it for 5 seconds or so. That should clear up any errors.

Also while on the Netopia page disable the wireless connection. Also if you exceed your download allowance they will reduce your speed.

Another thing that happens with Eircom broadband is that it sometimes finds it hard to find the IP Address and this has fluctuating effects. So go to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Active Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Now when you get there you should manually input your details.

Also you could try repairing your connection (simple task but sometimes it helps) Basically by getting to where I described above but going to support and you should find your way from there.

Advertisement