Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying used car - private sale

Options
  • 04-02-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey, sorry this question has prob been asked a load here but here i go. Buying a new car privately and i'm just wondering what should i be looking for documentation wise. I know i will get fsh but what do i need to do about tax (car is taxed for a few more months. Also is there anything else i should get when i buy the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You'll also need the Vehicle Registration Cert - there's a part of that you need to fill in and the seller sends off when you get the car to transfer the ownership/tax/blah.

Also, if the stereo has some sort of security code, make sure you get that off the previous owners too otherwise you won't be able to use it if the battery goes or gets disconnected for whatever reason. I didn't get any code with my car, and had to pay €15 at a Ford dealer to get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You'll also need the Vehicle Registration Cert - there's a part of that you need to fill in and send off when you get the car to transfer the ownership/tax/blah.

The change of ownership section on back of the Vehicle Registration Cert is filled in with the name and address of the new owner. The seller of the car then posts this to the DOE in Shannon. About 2 or 3 weeks later the new owner receives the new Vehicle Registration Cert with his/her name and address on it. This means you are now the new registered owner of the car. You can then tax the car if needed.

Advertisement