Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowie's biggest influence?

• 04-02-2007 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Was talking to a guy who considered himself a bit of a rock historian. I was saying I was a huge Bowie fan and he was telling me that I should be listening to Creme Brulee and that they were the band that Bowie aspired to. Tried finding out about them but no luck so far. Where should I start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Haven´t heard anything of that band. All I know that Bowie over the years was always saying that he would give an arm and a leg to play with Kraftwerk as he likes them very, very much. He even asked them to be his support band in 1976 but they declined because of difficulties with logistics.

No rock - but Kraftwerk would perhaps be a good way to start looking for quality music.

www.kraftwerk.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think Mr. Rock Historian was pulling your leg :)

Creme Brulee was a fictional glam-rock band in the League of Gentleman.

Some more info here -> http://www.lunacynet.com/league/char_brulee.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Goodshape wrote:
    I think Mr. Rock Historian was pulling your leg :)

Creme Brulee was a fictional glam-rock band in the League of Gentleman.

Some more info here -> http://www.lunacynet.com/league/char_brulee.html
    haha. The OP got PWN3D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

yeah I remember that band from League of Gentlemen OP

As for Bowies influences, I once heard he wrote a lot of his songs to parody Frank Sinatra, as he lost the chance to earn millions from a track he wrote that turned out to be re-written by Paul Anka for Sinatra as 'My Way' and he was a Sinatra fan to begin with.

You should also try Mott the Hoople, as he wrote a lot with them, and Queen (as they modelled themselves on him and he modelled some of his later acts on them). Alice in Chains were also big fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Creme Brulee were a sad never-ran fictional 70's Northern-English glam band from the League of Gentlemen series.

Consider your leg pulled, and how.

Bowie was quite big into Jazz early on and learnt to play the sax, but I think the only time he ever played sax on one of his own records was very late, around 92 in his "Black Tie White Noise" period.

Bowie's biggest influences were whomever were big at any particular time. He never set trends, but he always had the uncanny knack of being able to jump on the band wagon quick enough to be able to be labelled an innovator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement