Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband/DSL causing noise on my phone?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum, cos I think this is related to my broadband connection.
    My phone has been really acting up on me lately. It's making loads of static noise, sometimes no dialling tone at all.
    I have UTV broadband and I got them to do a line test, they said the line was grand. The broadband is running though a wireless router. I tested if there was a difference when I switched off and disconnected the router, but no difference.
    I bought a replacement cordless phone to see if it was the phone hardware, but it's the same as before.
    The noise isn't constant, it comes and goes.

The manual that came with the new phone suggests: "Noise from phone: If you have DSL, contact ISP and get a filter".

Anyone know what this 'filter' is, and where I can get one?
    Anyone else have a similar experience?

The setup I have is:
    Phone Connection 1: Cordless telephone
    Phone Connection 2: Wireless BT Router
    (i.e. the aren't both being fed from the same socket)

Ideas please!

Cheers
    BigBru

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i hope you have a dsl filter fitted to your cordless phone socket, it should have come with your info when you got UTV.

However you also said it was the same even when you disconnected your modem etc, which leads me to believe its a problem with the phoneline, and if so, you need to call eircom to get them to check it. This is different to UTV checking it as they were probably just checking to see if the broadband was ok on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eannakennedy

Unfortunately I have the same issue with cordless phones and broadband. I have a Motorola ME 4251 and everytime it rings it knocks off my broadband connection. This only happens with this cordless phone as I have another one that causes no issue. My advice is to check with your cordless phone as I know the Motoroal ME 4251 is the cause of the issue.
    Regards
    EoC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I'm also having a similar problem, however it's my landline that's causing the problem, and I'm with Eircom.

Any time I take a call on the landline, the DSL goes off and stays off until the receiver is put down again. Also, for the first ten or so seconds there is a loud hissing sound.
    The cordless phone causes the DSL to go off but it comes straight back on and there is no hissing.

This wouldn't have me so concerned but it only started a few months ago, and I had been using broadband since last summer with no problems. However, I did switch up to the 2 meg option and it was not long after this that it started to happen.
    SN margin is 10/6.50 dB, line attenuation is 63/31 dB, which shot up to that about the time this started happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dear me people you all need to use filters for your phone lines once you get BB on your line. A filter or two should have come with your modem/router once you ordered it from your ISP. Filters are little boxes that plug into the phone socket and are what you plug your phones into as opposed to directly into the socket which now carries a BB signal which your phone is not equipped to handle and therefore needs to be filtered out. Hence the name :)
    88422_big.gif
    Cheap to buy at any computer shop or electronics store like Maplins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I already have filters installed, and have had them installed since I first started using BB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement