Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

sorry, quick NCT/Tax question...

Options
  • 05-02-2007 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

....iirc, you don't actually need and NCT cert to tax a car - is this correct?

I need to tax the car, but can't get a short-term date for the NCT, don't want to drive without the tax. IIRC, the NCT is not an actual legal requirement.

Comments?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

NCT is not required when taxing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

NCT is a legal requirement. You need it to tax the car but it's unlikely that you'll actually be asked for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You dont need it. i taxed my car last week and the nct is due. I'll do the NCT later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You definitely do not need NCT to tax a car.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You don't need it but it is still a legal requrement. It hasn't been requested as part of tax renewal since the strike within the NCTS a while back.
    Taxing online does not request NCT details but this info may already be available to the motor tax office anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Incidently, I was stopped at a garda check point Friday night. Garda checked the usual tax and insurance discs. He then looked at my reg and then asked me where my NCT disc was? :confused:

I politely pointed out to him my car was not 4 years old until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

nct is a regulation not legestation as have been pointed out in this forum, also once the nct is 29 days old no responsibility will be accepted by them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

old boy wrote:
    nct is a regulation not legestation as have been pointed out in this forum, also once the nct is 29 days old no responsibility will be accepted by them

Responsibility for what??

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    You don't need it but it is still a legal requrement. It hasn't been requested as part of tax renewal since the strike within the NCTS a while back

Exactly. I was caught up in this with my NCT date while the strike was ongoing and I could not tax my car for ages until the "Irish solution": ah sure we'll tax it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

old boy wrote:

Not sure what you're saying here????

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

old boy wrote:

??

Regulations are legislation. Read the AnCO case, or ask any first year law student.

No idea where you got the 29 days.

Advertisement