Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is bupa run feasible for a newbie?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Hiya. I'm kind of new to this. Did the Couch-to-5k programme last summer, and by autumn was able to run 3 miles in just about 30 mins. Running has been erratic since then, and hoping that setting goal of running the Bupa Phoenix Park run will help me focus.
    At the moment, my 5k time is about 35-36 mins. I've bookmarked Hal Higdon's 10k race programme, but am I going to make a fool of myself if I horse along to the Phoenix Park in April with my rank amateur status?
    Any input appreciated.
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Don't be daft :) If you can already run 5k now you're miles (literally) ahead of a large proportion of this years future entrants. You'd be fine at any Irish 10k fun-run, but you'll be especially fine at one that attracts such a large proportion of people who don't run very much. Plus it'll provide some motivation for your running for the next couple of months - it's a really good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Exactly what Quozl said..

I went from heavy smoker to Bupa 10k, with about the same amount of preparation time as you have. It is more likely that you will find that many participants will slow you down during the race..

Based on last years results, and your 5k time, you should finish right in the middle of the field (pardon the pun).. Happy running!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yep you'll be fine. Myself and the gf did a 10k in london 2 years ago. I was pretty unfit and she was completely new to running. Did 2-3 nights training a week for a month beforehand and even then she had never done over 5k prior to the race. Finished with a rather respectable 1hr 3mins along with most of the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just agreeing with the above posts you will be fine, if you can already do 5k it should not be a problem. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Quozl, Krusty_Clown, JimoSlimos and Odysseus,

Thanks very much for the encouragement. It was just what I needed.
    Feel all motivated now...

Cheers again,

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No probs, maybe you would keep us updated on how your getting on.

Will do. Suppose this means I'm committed now.
    If there are any other newbies out there in the same boat, it'd be interesting to hear about their progress too...
    Thanks again Odysseus

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Last year myself and a friend did the Bupa run coming from much the same level as yourself (if not worse!). We decided on new years eve that our resolution for last year would be to start running and do that 10k. We also used Hal Higdons programme and found it great. Neither of us had ever really run before (and both our boyfriends were very into running!) so we found the programme a great place to start as well as a great motivator (because you knew exactly how much to do and what days, so there was no 'will i, won't i' about whether to go for a run in the evenings. Plus on the rest days u never felt any guilt about not going out!).

So we both completed the Bupa run anyway - she was slightly faster than me at 59 mins and i was 1hr 9 mins - definitely not setting any records but still delighted just to finish! But then over the summer and autumn because we had no other major runs planned and the running slipped by the wayside.

So come 1st of Jan this year we decided to go for it again, unfortunately after giving it up for a while (even though we both do other sports) we found that we were almost back to where we started! so we're I think its 4 weeeks into a new programme,and just completd 2.8 miles tonight. Found it very tough but still glad we did it. This time we're just hoping to improve the times for hte Bupa run and are already thinking of other things we can have lined up for after it to keep us motivated to keep going and not to pack in all the hard work again!

That's very encouraging, socks. Those times seem kinda attainable. Only started Hal Higdon last week, so I'm just back from my 2.5 miles. I'm really liking the fact that it's not all about running, and that I have an excuse to go to justify my gym membership. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the longer running distances are like...
    M

That's very encouraging, socks. Those times seem kinda attainable. Only started Hal Higdon last week, so I'm just back from my 2.5 miles. I'm really liking the fact that it's not all about running, and that I have an excuse to go to justify my gym membership. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the longer running distances are like...
    M

• Advertisement
Advertisement