Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax

Options
  • 05-02-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new car, gave my old one to girlfriend however tax is up on it since 31.01 , she received the ownership cert , does she have to wait for a letter from motor tax office to tax car or does she just go down with insurance details, ownership cert etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Taxation (as with insurance and NCT) is the responsibility of the registered owner.
    Assuming the car is in her name then she can tax it online @ www.motortax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

doesn't she need the pin no to tax it online, I'm nearly sure 1st tax on a car has to be done in a motor tax office, but just that she received no notification that the tax was up, or form to bring to tax office.

get her to call the motortax office on 1890 411 412 (during office hours) and they will give (by post?) her a PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

thanks kbannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

i think the pin is the last 6 digits of the chasis number

• Advertisement

No its not!
    I renewed my tax on Friday and the PIN was nothing like my VIN (which I know by heart!)

Advertisement