Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with provisional licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Lessons can only teach you how to drive. They can't teach you how to react. Lessons got me started, but my driving myself taught me how to really drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I agree experience is essential to competant driving, I just wish they would hurry up and reform the system so that the inexperienced/unqualified aren't driving around by themselves- it is such a farcical situation that you can sit a "theory test" and get away with driving by yourself for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

chrislad wrote:
    Lessons can only teach you how to drive. They can't teach you how to react. Lessons got me started, but my driving myself taught me how to really drive.
    Pass rates for tests in large vehicles like trucks and buses are much higher than car rates yet very few candidates for those categories have their own vehicle to get experience in. The only experience they get is during lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Pass rates for tests in large vehicles like trucks and buses are much higher than car rates yet very few candidates for those categories have their own vehicle to get experience in. The only experience they get is during lessons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a full license for a a car before you're eligable to go for a truck or bus test?
    If I'm right, I would imagine the skills gained from learning to drive a car (and subsequently passing a test which claims you are fit to drive said car), while not giving direct experience to driving a larger vechicle, would make it even a bit easier to pass a test on a larger vechicle, even if you only had experience with the larger vechicle during lessons.
    If you hadn't ever driven a car before, and didn't have access to a car outside lessons, I would imagine it would take a fair number of lessons to become capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Waltons wrote:
    I would imagine the skills gained from learning to drive a car (and subsequently passing a test which claims you are fit to drive said car), while not giving direct experience to driving a larger vechicle, would make it even a bit easier to pass a test on a larger vechicle
    Yes indeed Waltons but the driving dynamics and characteristics are totally different in a large vehicle. I take your point though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Following a previous point, you can always argue that a person seeking a license for a truck or bus is doing so for the sake of a job, and therefore it is going to be a lot more important to them to pass, and taking that into account, testers will probably be a bit more lenient (this coming from a Taxi Driver who told me he hit a curb in his truck test, and still passed).

Advertisement