Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we ever learn?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ballooba wrote:
    You're not giving any reasons as to why you think that this is a bad idea. Other than of course that it would mean change.

Why lump the defence forces with the job of 'rehabilitating' young offenders just because it's a hot potato that others don't want to deal with? Why are they always the sweeper-uppers of last resort (sometimes literally, i.e. bin strike?) I'll tell you why, because the PDF can't go on strike and can't speak out. If they could I'm pretty sure they'd tell Enda where to stick it in short order.
    They're is no reason why the Defence Forces should not be involved in the rehabilitation of young offenders.
    It's NOT THEIR JOB. They do not wish and are not qualified to do it. Isn't that a pretty good reason?
    Keeping young people locked up is a waste of money. It's obviously not having any effect in breaking the cycle of crime either as these young people continue to re-offend.
    That's as maybe but shunting the problem into the lap of the defence forces isn't the answer.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There is another thread on this. I have since learned that the army are unlikely to be involved.

If they were however to be involved, how do you know they wouldn't want to do so. Are you the head of PDF or something? Has there been a huge outcry from the Defence forces against this?

Fine Gael is however proposing community involvement for the Defence Forces. Infrastructural projects etc. We are a neutral country so we don't really need a military force. The primary work of the Defence Forces that I as a member of the public am aware of is overseas.

Other than that it's Garda Helicopter, Ministerial Transport, Air Sea Rescue, Fisheries Patrol and Cash/Explosives in transit. Are any of these traditional military roles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ballooba wrote:
    Fine Gael is however proposing community involvement for the Defence Forces. Infrastructural projects etc. We are a neutral country so we don't really need a military force. The primary work of the Defence Forces that I as a member of the public am aware of is overseas.

I love the way people think the army is some big labour reserve to be used to build stuff and discipline youngsters.

Neutral means you wont attack anyone , or side with one side against the other. So you should maintain the means to defend yourself if attacked.

Neutrality = Ch*ckensh*t policy to me but thats another debate.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Guys, this thread is about the Garda Reserve, not the Defence Forces or putative boot camps - let's keep it on topic, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I personally am not in favour of a garda reserve. Maybe it’s something in my Irish DNA that is uneasy with anything which reminds me of the B specials. Ok, maybe I’m being silly and old fashioned, but it’s my opinion. But, I certainly do not approve of the garda representative body questioning the authority of the Dail to pass legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

I personally am not in favour of a garda reserve. Maybe it’s something in my Irish DNA that is uneasy with anything which reminds me of the B specials. Ok, maybe I’m being silly and old fashioned, but it’s my opinion. But, I certainly do not approve of the garda representative body questioning the authority of the Dail to pass legislation.

Ok, you are entited to your opinion, as are all of us, but equating the Garda Reserve to the B specials is a bit of a stretch, get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

wex wrote:
    Ok, you are entited to your opinion, as are all of us, but equating the Garda Reserve to the B specials is a bit of a stretch, get a grip.

Yes the B specials had the sense to get paid.

Community officers in london can earn up to 21,000 sterling a year.

This is blatent capitalisation by the goverment on the large lists of people trying to get into the Gardai.

Advertisement