Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] Sky Plus or 3 DVD Recorders????

• 05-02-2007 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have Sky Plus at present and love the facility being able to simultaneously record at least one programme while watching another. I’m now moving into an apartment where I’m only allowed cable, but would like to continue something similar to the Sky Plus record facility.

Can anyone tell me is there anyway that 3 DVD recorders could be set up to allow the following facility:

DVD Recorder 1:
    You record all programming on timer

DVD Recorder 2:
    You can view stuff recorded on DVD recorder 1, while DVD recorder 1 can
    simultaneously record something off a channel.
    (Obviously, you have to physically transfer DVD from 1 to 2 and replace DVD in recorder 1)

DVD Recorder 3:
    You can record what’s been shown on DVD Recorder 2 (ie something already recorded),
    but this time you can manually take the ads out. (for the purposes of permanent storage)

Ultimately, I’m thinking of a scenario where
    • a scart lead comes from the TV into DVD recorder 1,
    • another scart lead goes from DVD recorder 1 to DVD recorder 2,
    • another scart lead goes to DVD recorder 2 to DVD recorder 3,
    • a final scart lead from DVD recorder 3 back to the TV.

Does anyone know if this will work? If not, can anyone recommend an alternative set up that might allow me to do this?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

just get a DVD recorder with a hdd and DVD RAM, it should allow you to do most of what you're looking for in one package. Your PC would probably be your best bet for content editing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

just get a DVD recorder with a hdd and DVD RAM, it should allow you to do most of what you're looking for in one package. Your PC would probably be your best bet for content editing though

Thanks for your reply. I’m not very technical. What exactly does HDD mean and what does it allow you to do. Likewise, while I know RAM stands for Random Access Memory, I don’t know what DVD RAM allows you to do? Can you give me a bit more info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

HDD is Hard Disk Drive, like your PC has. It would allow you to watch a record like you did with Sky Plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Sorry, i should have explained better.

You can buy a DVD Recorder that has a hard drive (HDD) built, so that you can use it in a similar way to sky plus.

DVD Ram is a type of DVD disk that can be accessed and written in a similar way to a hard disk, meaning you can pause live tv with it like sky plus. it's more restrictive than a dvd recorder with a hard disk. I acutally meant HDD or DVD Ram in my post yesterday, sorry.

I think a DVD recorder with a hard disk built into it would probably be the best option for you.

I think a DVD recorder with a hard disk built into it would probably be the best option for you.

Thanks for that. It sounds like a viable solution. All I want to do is watch what I’ve recorded when I want without worrying about it clashing with something set to record on the timer. I’m not worried about a live pause. How exactly do HDD recorders work? Can the hard drive record off a channel while I’m watching something already stored on the hard drive?

If anyone knows good places to buy HDD Recorders, I’m all ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

FrCrilly wrote:
    Can the hard drive record off a channel while I’m watching something already stored on the hard drive?

Yes

Currys etc., try 160Gb HDD.

gipo2 wrote:
    Yes

Currys etc., try 160Gb HDD.

Thanks Gipo2.

Does anyone know how many hours of programming 160 GB will allow me to record? Does anyone know an approximate scale, so I can decide, for example, between 160 GB and 320 GB?

Thanks in Advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Depends on brand but about 35Hrs in best quality.
    Next size up would be 250Gb.

Advertisement