Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Assault is almost here

Options
  • 05-02-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Just found out that this is released in a couple of weeks. It's from the makers of Operation Flashpoint, boasting over 30 different weapons, over 30 different vehicles, 400 square kilometers to piss about in, a map editor and online support with NO limit to how many can play on each map!

http://www.armedassault.com/

Anybody else excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

humanji wrote:
    NO limit to how many can play on each map!

There is a good reason why pop caps are put into online games. Its call hardware and software limitation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you liked Flashpoint, which i really didnt as getting killed from pretty much everywhere really annoyed me, then you'll like this.

If only real war was like UT :rolleyes:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Has anyone played the demo? Opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

I bought the German version off Ebay as soon as I found out that there were patches available to translate it to English. Multiplayer is quite good and theres a fantastic mission where you have to take out a full convoy (5 trucks and 2 tanks) with only 1 satchel charge and 2 rpg rockets :D But as a whole so far I think Operation Flashpoint was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Beecher wrote:
    I bought the German version off Ebay as soon as I found out that there were patches available to translate it to English. Multiplayer is quite good and theres a fantastic mission where you have to take out a full convoy (5 trucks and 2 tanks) with only 1 satchel charge and 2 rpg rockets :D But as a whole so far I think Operation Flashpoint was better.
    Aparently the English release has more stuff in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have the Czech version, runs nicely on my pc. Finding it just as tough as op Flash was. Going straight to veteran may be a bad idea. That convoy mission is a complete bitch.

I dont think its better or worse than Op flash only played it about 3 hours now.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

whats the map editor like in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I was HUGELY let down by the demo. The MP is just as crap as it ever was. You have to wait about an hour between games as one guy leaves his pc and everyone has to wait as seagulls until the game restarts. Brutal. Especially seeing as how easy it is to die.

The old game I loved, and would have embraced a modernised, touched up version. Unfortunately this was not it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I hope the English translations are generally better than in this screenshot.

I managed to get a copy, but unfortunately it's the German one. The patch does change the language, but as Maximilian points out, some of the transaltions are a bit dodgy. But it's not that bad a problem.

But I really like it. It's bloody hard, and some times you haven't got a clue what you;re doing, but I think I have masochistic tendencies since I love that sort of thing.
    magick wrote:
    whats the map editor like in it ?

The editor is almost identical to OFP. And in case you've never used that one, it's one of the best I've ever used. It's a little tricky at first to get some of the niggly bits down, but once you get into it you'll be setting out full scale battles in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

being my 1st time playing a game like this I was blown away by it. Looking forward to playing this version coming out. Less buggy and more servers run by people that know what they are doing.

I'm sick of bf2 but I'm still not into the whole 100% totally real thing.

I found alot of multiplayer games lost momentum as even though they let you respawn when you died. vehicles didnt. Do after an intence and fun 1st 10 mins, the game turns into a big massive walking for miles till sniped bore fest....

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

This only got a 5/10 in edge...hmmmm. Think i shall be avoiding it so

0ubliette wrote:
    Play the demo and make your own mind up. You might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Thank you Mistress, May I have another!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Played the demo. Oooh this makes me wanna reinstall flashpoint and I think I may just do that. Rough edges, dodgy sound, dodgy everything but nevertheless oodles of fun.

In saying this however after playing the demo I can't help but feel that putting out another rough game just isn't very smart. Also, why the **** can't they copy battlefields way of controlling choppers???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

0ubliette wrote:

Oh well if Edge didn't like it....

8/10 from Eurogamer btw.

Played the demo. Oooh this makes me wanna reinstall flashpoint and I think I may just do that. Rough edges, dodgy sound, dodgy everything but nevertheless oodles of fun.

In saying this however after playing the demo I can't help but feel that putting out another rough game just isn't very smart. Also, why the **** can't they copy battlefields way of controlling choppers???

Count yourself lucky. They were going to make all the flight controls as realistic as possible but then decided that would alienate too many people. I just try and get team members to fly and point them in the right direction. It's the only way I can survive a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's daft like.... I remember being able to fly the choppers in OpFlash so I'm sure I'll learn here as well but in all fairness it's a terrible control system for the chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

saw this in game yesterday when buying supreme commander. didn't know much about it but the "made by the team behind OpFlash" made me a little moist i must say. as i said, didn't know much about it so i popped onto teh internets to see what it's like, then went off to youtube to get some in-game footage. looks like it's right up my alley, especially since i've been letting bf2142 gather dust.

koneko wrote:
    Oh well if Edge didn't like it....

8/10 from Eurogamer btw.
    EG give everything an 8. Terrible website for reviews.
    7/10 from PCG, said avoid it like the plague til the first patches arrive, as the game is completely broken in its release state. It never ceases to amaze me how games can be released in such a shoddy state.

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote:
    7/10 from PCG, said avoid it like the plague til the first patches arrive, as the game is completely broken in its release state. It never ceases to amaze me how games can be released in such a shoddy state.

Works grand for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

0ubliette wrote:

Maximum PC gave its spiritual predecessor (Operation Flashpoint) 5/10 and it was still one of the best games Ive ever played. I have played the Czech version with the ropey translations, but thought it better to wait for the proper English release. Im sure patches will make it far better too, but the core of the game is again excellent. Then there is the mod potiential..

humanji wrote:
    Works grand for me :D
    Considering it gave the reviewers XP machine 3 bluescreens, i think ill wait for those patches before buying ;) Ive never had XP crash to a BSOD, ever....so it is a tad worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

0ubliette wrote:
    Considering it gave the reviewers XP machine 3 bluescreens, i think ill wait for those patches before buying ;) Ive never had XP crash to a BSOD, ever....so it is a tad worrying.

? Is auto restart on system failure disabled?

lol, then you're missing out. I'd be worried if windows didn't crash out :D

Is there a patch for the english version of this game yet? Cause GOD DAMN this game is f*cked beyond belief.
    Some missions wont trigger key points like sniping a convoy, the soldiers never arrived to get sniped. When they did arrive (after i restarted the mission) i was looking at trucks with square wheels. Textures refuse to load. At all. Soldiers just look like base models for 90% of the time. Houses are just big cubes, terrain is flat and glitchy looking. And despite the fact that its basically drawing a completely textureless, objectless world for the most part, it still manages to run like a 3 legged dog, on an amd 64 3400, 1gb ram, 7800GS. Im not even going to bother playing it again til some kind of a patch is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

0ubliette wrote:
    Is there a patch for the english version of this game yet? Cause GOD DAMN this game is f*cked beyond belief.
    Some missions wont trigger key points like sniping a convoy, the soldiers never arrived to get sniped. When they did arrive (after i restarted the mission) i was looking at trucks with square wheels. Textures refuse to load. At all. Soldiers just look like base models for 90% of the time. Houses are just big cubes, terrain is flat and glitchy looking. And despite the fact that its basically drawing a completely textureless, objectless world for the most part, it still manages to run like a 3 legged dog, on an amd 64 3400, 1gb ram, 7800GS. Im not even going to bother playing it again til some kind of a patch is out.

i'm in the same boat as you, somewhat. textures appear as they wish, but the FPS is fine, but key moments just don't happen, and for some reason the first bit when the convoy rolls through town showed me a black screen with text (if i paused the game i got to see what was actually going on though).

i'd wait for things to happen and then, maybe a few minutes later, they'll happen. i bought this 2 days after supreme commander. i refuse to play this now until they patch the living crap out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I am also on the same boat...
    Bought supreme commander and armed assault from play.com but ofcouse armed assault arrived first. I LOVED ofp and was more then prepared for a few bugs in the early version but this game is a complete joke!
    The opening intro was very entertaining considering it had no textures and in the part where the 2 hummers drive through the town I was still there when they passed, not in one! Most objects don't seem to load correctly or have no textures. I havnt had any actually complete crashes yet but the game is still unplayable.
    I'm running v1.05 on near lowest settings, 1024*768 on a A64 3400+, 1gig ram, 6800gt 256meg; which is a joke as that meets the recommended requirements. I have checked the official board and it seems we are really not the only ones and people with far greater systems (core duo's, 8800gts's) are also having the same problem. I still cant believe that a game can get released in such a shocking state! like did they ever hear of QA or testing ?

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    like did they ever hear of QA or testing ?
    I think we ARE the QA testers im afraid :rolleyes:
    It takes the piss tho, i dont think ive ever come across a game this badly borked on release. Any idea at all when we can expect a patch? I mean the czech and polish patches are out there, how long does it take to convert to english??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I haven't had much time to play it, but i haven't been seeing these problems. There has been some draw-in on textures where sometimes at the start of a level some buildings would have a very low detail texture which would quickly get replaced.

Some points that may be working in my favour, I have 2GB of ram and this game loves memory (other specs:A64 3200, 7800GS 512MB). I had just done a clean install of XP before installing this. I updated all drivers, video card, mobo, sound etc. I also downloaded the latest directx build.

Patch 1.05 is available now, you can download it here, some mirrors listed here (the one we had in shops here was 1.04 so we can download the 'small' patch). I haven't tried it yet myself and I've only seen one or two quick impressions of it but they seem good.

Advertisement