Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMC 2.x snap-in non-fatal runtime warning on Vista (MMC 3.x)

Options
  • 05-02-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I'm maintaining a MMC (Microsoft Management Console) snap-in that has worked on 2000, XP and 2003. Now it needs wings on Vista. For the most part it's ok except for a warning that pops up when I click anywhere on the result (right-hand side) pane:
    MMC has detected an error in a span-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC.

Then you have options to bail out, continue and ignore the warning for this session or continue and ignore the warning forever.

If you continue, everything runs fine.

The results pane in this case is hosting a dialog window with a few controls so it's your typical OnInitDialog() and regular MFC message handers. I've put some debug at the top of the BEGIN_MSG_MAP and, as far as I can tell, this warning is getting displayed before I receive an event. For example, if I left click on the dialog, I'll get the dialog presented before I get the NM_CLICK notification.

I've tried rebuilding with the Vista SDK and it didn't make any difference. Even MS have a couple of knowledgebase articles on this warning but they say that it's safe to ignore these warnings. However, it doesn't give a warm fuzzy feeling to the end user so if anyone knows anything about the origin of this warning it'd help loads.

Cheers.

Advertisement