Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laurel hedging

Options
  • 05-02-2007 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just planted 120 laurels.. only another 200 to go! i've got them as a boundry hedge. i was wondering if anyone can advise on how i can trim them & when to trim them into a full boddied hedge rather than a tall thin hedge??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

If the mods don't mind, here is a link to a laurel hedging article from my site...
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/articles/article23.html
    It may be of some help to you stifz.
    If your laurel hedging has been spaced at 60cm (2 ft), this will quicken the formation of a thick hedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

If the mods don't mind, here is a link to a laurel hedging article from my site...
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/articles/article23.html
    It may be of some help to you stifz.
    If your laurel hedging has been spaced at 60cm (2 ft), this will quicken the formation of a thick hedge.

thanks for that link i'll have a peak.. I've spaced them every 18''..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

stifz wrote:
    thanks for that link i'll have a peak.. I've spaced them every 18''..
    Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I must take a photo of mine and post it for you ..... it's approx 30ft high and I love it .... :p

(and so do the birds ..... during the winter I bet there are a 100 or more roosting in the hedge every night )

would you advise using bark or gravel to stop the grass growing around it? Or leave it as is?

• Advertisement

stifz wrote:
    would you advise using bark or gravel to stop the grass growing around it? Or leave it as is?

In the early years I used anything I had .......

grass cuttings .....

Material from my mulcher .....

leaves ......

Bark over a membrane would be fine too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Thoiry

Hi, looking to buy some laurel hedging (around 4ft high) at the moment. Best quote I have got so far is €12 per tree. Is this about right?

Hi, looking to buy some laurel hedging (around 4ft high) at the moment. Best quote I have got so far is €12 per tree. Is this about right?

are you sure that 12.00 euro's is not for ten plants? ....:confused:
    (4ft high might be the reason they are so expensive)

I had a quick look at Buy and Sell .... see here ....

http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?quicksearch=laurel&textopt=all&ofr_wan=ofr_wan&priv_trade=priv_trade&area=0&s=30&g=00175&price1=&price2=&daysonline=0&bSearch=Search

i got a 120 bareroot for 150euro.. Woodstock nursery in derrinturn. I'd order local so you see what your getting..

stifz wrote:
    I got a 120 bareroot for 150euro.. Woodstock nursery in derrinturn. I'd order local so you see what your getting..

sounds like the going rate .....

can you imagine if you had paid 12.00 euro a plant :( ......

that would be 1440.00 euro total !!!!! ...... ouch :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

just adding another topic. I want to plant a wind breaker next to our house which is in the middle of a field and has not protection from wind.
    I do want to go for natural hedges as i planted horbeam hedges on the boundary of acre last year.

I called up to a local farmer who speciallises in local hedges and suggested Beach

he also mentioned Laurel, but is not a fan

he is selling 7 foot beach hedging for 20 euro
    and Laurel hedging for 14 euro a plant and the laurel is 4 foot tall, but would grow faster

can any one tell me which is better for a windbreaker and to look after

laurel or Beach and also the price, is it a fair price, he probably will give me a discount and should be 12 euro for laurel and not sure for the beach
    Thanks

Aidan

Advertisement