Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a motherboard....

Options
  • 05-02-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm probably getting an e6600. I'll be looking to overclock, but I have a limited budget for the motherboard. I'm specifically looking for a cheap socket 775 motherboard that's good for an overclock.

Anyone care to make a recommendation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I believe this is supposed to be quite good http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323508

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Some very nice reviews there. Cheers. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The ASUS P5N-E is supposed to be awesome, lots of great reviews...

Komplett dont have it yet but Overclockers.co.uk have it and tehy are generally cheaper and have a better selection of components

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Do not go cheap on the mobo if you wanna overclock. Save the money on hdds and the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

if the PSU is the blood of your system, the mainboard is the backbone. Do not skimp on it. Like was said, save money by cutting back on other components that a stable overclock does not depend on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It's obvious that a good mainboard is hugely important to a system but whether he gets a good reasonable priced mainboard ( i wouldn't really call 130 euro cheap) or a top of the line overclocking board would really depend on why he wants to overclock.

I think that if he wants to overclock so that he can get the most value for money by buying cheaper components and pushing them so that they perform as well as components at twice their price then a reasonable, stable and non finicky mainboard should suffice (along with other choice components and a bit of good old fashioned tweaking).

If he wants to push limits and bench the arse out of his machine then the more expensive and extravagant mainboards and components are justified and he should go for that.

But those are two different things and if he just wants to economise and get the most for his money then buying top of the range mainboards, ram and cpus defeats the purpose of overclocking, he could just as well buy a non-clocking mainboard, cheap ram and flaccus's quad core (or an x6800 if theyare still available)

Yeah, I was hoping to keep it in the €130-150 region. I'm not looking to get every last drop out of it, and I think that price range should buy me a reasonable quality motherboard.

Thanks for that link Conzy, I'll have a closer look at it (edit: have done so....very nice....gets up to 475fsb stable). I must say though, I've generally found komplett to be slightly cheaper than overclockers (and I hate the way they state non-vat prices first).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I ordered the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe WIFI-AP with my PC
    http://www.techspot.com/review/12-asus-p5wdh-deluxe/
    Not sure how much, i paid an upgrade price of €155 though. Its a top board from what i can make out.

Saruman wrote:
    Its a top board from what i can make out.

It is the top board. :)

What do you mean by an upgrade price? How did you trade in your old board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

na he bought it on ankerman in a whole pc and the way that starts is with a set price and then u upgrade like the upgrade of 166 for the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,354 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is the best motherboard out there that I won't need to sell a kidney for? Hopefully looking for something that will be able to make use of nVidia SLI...

Advertisement