Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire phone extension directly into box?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,
    In order to stop the letters and phone calls from Sky, I've decided to finally connect up my second Sky box to the phone line! I have bought an extension cable and had been running it to another socket and using a double adapter to connect it there. However I want to wire it permanently so want to confirm that I can do this into the junction box (not sure of the correct term) which is just inside our front door. This seems to be where the Eircom line comes into the house before going to the sockets.

So first question: is it ok to do this?

Assuming it is OK, second question is how do I wire it up. I see a few similar threads but I'm still not clear on it. The junction box contains a connection block with 8 connections lined up as follows:

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8

The Eircom line coming into the house seems to have a green wire and a black wire not connected to anything, plus an orange wire connected to 1 and a white wire connected to 4.

Then 2 blue/white wires connected to 5 and 2 orange/white wires connected to 8 (I presume these go onto the 2 sockets in the house?). So do I simply connect the extension cable wires to 5 and 8??

Hope that makes some sense - any advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Ok Just connect the blue wires from your extension (the middle 2 wires) to connections that say L1 and L2 or connect to where all the other internal wires are connected on to the block.

If you have eircom broadband then you will have to use a filter

hop ethis helps

garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The Wires connecting to 1 and 4 are the "A" and "B" wires from the exchange. The wires connected to 5 and 8 are going to your sockets. Their is no colour code associated, the wires are just a version of Cat5 used by ethernet, only with just the orange/white and blue/white pairs. The engineer probably used the blue/white and orange/white wires to make it easier to tell which was A and which was B. Older devices were sensitive to this, as are some modems, but modern equipment doesnt care. The easiest thing to do is ignore the junction box altogether. Buy some round (as opposed to that cheap flat extension stuff) telephone cable, long enough to reach from the socket box where your digibox is currently plugged in to your digibox and a telephone point.

Open your telephone socket, and where its says L1 and L2, wire any two of the wires on your phone cable to them. E.G. Blue/White to L1 and White/Blue to L2 or Blue/White to L1 and Orange/White to L2. Connect these same wires to the Red and Green wires on the socket you bought. Plug in your digibox and test it.
    Services > System Setup > System Test. If you have broadband over the phone, connect a filter to the digibox at the socket the digibox is plugged in to as ^ suggested.

Advertisement