Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV or Virgin in Waterford

• 05-02-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Anyone know if this will ever happen?
    What's the story, lack of space, market too small etc.
    I know downloads etc are making a difference now but it's still great
    buying real cds and real packages, I'm tiring of the downlaod thing and want real product in my hand again :-)
    Are BPM and Rotate the only music shops in waterford now? Sinnotts is not much anymore.

J Power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

JLemmon wrote:
    Anyone know if this will ever happen?
    What's the story, lack of space, market too small etc.
    I know downloads etc are making a difference now but it's still great
    buying real cds and real packages, I'm tiring of the downlaod thing and want real product in my hand again :-)
    Are BPM and Rotate the only music shops in waterford now? Sinnotts is not much anymore.

J Power

The market is there all right, no doubt. The problem at the moment in Waterford that there are very few unoccupied large units. (Which is why we need a large shopping centre in the city centre.)

There is also possibly a worry from HMV/Virgin's point of view that shop sales are decreasing in the face of competition over the internet. Despite that, I think there is still a lot of money to be made by a large music shop in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I thought one was supposed to go into the City Arms space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

HMV were looking to move in there a few months before Christmas, the Cork manager was up enquiring about premises in the city centre, Michael St. to be precise. Not sure what the story is now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Roen wrote:
    HMV were looking to move in there a few months before Christmas, the Cork manager was up enquiring about premises in the city centre, Michael St. to be precise. Not sure what the story is now though.

There's an article in this week's News & Star that says that the former City Arms is being converted for shop use. According to the manager of City Square, nothing is finalised yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can imagine that when they finally do sort out a place, the owners of Sinnotts and BPM will probably hold up proceedings by saying something about the presence of HMV being bad for competition :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

They probably will, but tough ****, if they can't compete get outta the business.
    BPM is a good shop, good deals and a good selection at times but too small and pokey,
    maybe they should move into the city arms!!!!!
    Sinnotts, well forget them, are they still even a music shop?
    Competion is good for the consumer, i.e. you and me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I can imagine that when they finally do sort out a place, the owners of Sinnotts and BPM will probably hold up proceedings by saying something about the presence of HMV being bad for competition :(

Do you seriously think that this would happen?

Besides, there will always be a place for the likes of BPM who can focus on niches. (Just like the way there is a place for Tall Tales despite the existence of the Book Centre.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

merlante wrote:
    Do you seriously think that this would happen?

Besides, there will always be a place for the likes of BPM who can focus on niches. (Just like the way there is a place for Tall Tales despite the existence of the Book Centre.)

They wont directly cite competition as being the problem. It would be on the basis of it being damaging to the enviroment, or the infrastructure not being able to cope. If they give out a few backhanders I'm sure they can appeal planning permission.

Or maybe they will be happy to get a large music store in the town, It would get people interested in buying cd's again, and when people are looking for a more diverse range of music than would be stocked in HMV or Virgin, that's when they would check out other music stores.

Downloading can be convnient, but it doesn't feel like you actually own an album unless it's on cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Downloading can be convnient, but it doesn't feel like you actually own an album unless it's on cd

Good Point;)

Thats the purpose of the ipod to solve that

Even though I never buy a cd

Anyways whichever is cheaper
    Latest albums in BPM are 17-20

Even though I got some good enough money
    There is no way in hell im going to pay that for 3+cd's maybe a week

I download everything for free

But I f the cd's were = to their actual value of a bit of plastic with their lyrics
    I would gladly pay for my music!

Advertisement