Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sylar [Spoilers US]

• 05-02-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Ok Sylar,
    I m presuming that he was a regular hero and his gift was to see how things work or where they were broken.
    But how is stealing other heros powers. Surely not something as simple as eating there brains?

And how was able to use his powers in the detention cell to attack Eden?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

well i wouldn't call him a hero now, we actually don't know what his goals are i doubt they are anything like word domination so it must be the
    personal accumulation of power that he seeks.

Maybe he just wants to absorb the powers of every single "hero" and live for a very long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

But how is he doing it?
    He wants to be important and special, thats why when Sharesh (i know wrong spelling) told him he had no power he freaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

maybe by looking at their brains he can figure out how the others powers work and then change his DNA so he also has the powers.

There is something strange about Claire's dad. I thought that others couldn't use their powers when him and the side kick were together but Nathan Petrelli flew away on them so that bust that theory.

So why was Sylar able to use his powers on Eden but not Claire's dad????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

its the hyshian that stops all mental powers from affecting clares dad.
    im not sure if the dad has a power or not im assuming he does and it will be some madd twist he had a power all along an dkept it from everyone including the hyiation

User45701 wrote:
    its the hyshian that stops all mental powers from affecting clares dad.
    im not sure if the dad has a power or not im assuming he does and it will be some madd twist he had a power all along an dkept it from everyone including the hyiation

but he's not always in the holding cell with mr. Bennet. In fact i don't think all three have ever been in the holding cell together (Mr. Bennet, Sylar and the Haitian)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 nightfox

The Haitian just needs to be in the general area, same happened at the police interview with claire and her dad. Matt could not read their minds coz the Haitian was down the hallway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Vegeta wrote:
    maybe by looking at their brains he can figure out how the others powers work and then change his DNA so he also has the powers.

There is something strange about Claire's dad. I thought that others couldn't use their powers when him and the side kick were together but Nathan Petrelli flew away on them so that bust that theory.

So why was Sylar able to use his powers on Eden but not Claire's dad????

Like people have said the Haitian just needs to be in the general area, but there seems to be limits to what he can dampen.
    For example when Matt was drugged in the bar and brought to the paper factory, he manages to break through the Haitians powers and ask Mr.Bennet "whos' claire?" before he gets wiped.

As for the thing with eden, maybe slyar has been exposed to the Haitian for long enough to overcome his powers.
    As far as i remember the very first time his powers kicked in he could see how the guys telekenisis worked before he caved in his skull, so maybe, if he's exposed to someones power for long enough he can figure out how it works, then given the arsenal of powers he has, he could probably manage a work around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sylar sees how things work (A Hero's brain for example) and replicates the behaviour - he seems to be able to mimic other things too (the Cocroach by playing dead in the 1x13 episode). In 1x14 Peter has discovered he can tap in to another Hero's powers by remembering how they made him feel. Sylar is the the anti-hero to Peter - the super hero dichotomy.

As for attacking Eden - telekinesis.

Talisman wrote:
    As for attacking Eden - telekinesis.

obviously, its just when Mr. Bennet was in the room he was fine. That's where the confusion arose.

Someone has already pointed out though that the Haitian only has to be in the general area to prevent others using their powers so this is why Mr. Bennet was safe but Eden was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Haitian has his own hidden agendas I think; or at least his own set of morals. He either let Nathan go or was not ready for him to access his flight power: most other powers you figure the guys going to stand there for a second: go invisble, try to freeze time etc. But the flight was like damn he went gone fast.

As for Sylar able to use his power in the cell; the Haitian wasnt present; and I think the Haitian has to focus his power like everyone else.

I doubt Claire's dad has any power but
    Her real parents sure as hell do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zindmin

Ya as the person above said the Hatian wasnt present at the time he killed eden in the cell and then she killed herself so he couldnt steal her power. I think he actually has to steal their power rather than just be around them to copy it.
    I dont think either that Claires father has any powers its just who he is working for and his connections that make him seem powerful as if he may have powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

but if he just needs to mimic their dna, why kill them? wants to be unique and special etc. i guess.. bit daft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He doesn't just copy dna though, he literally has to get into their heads and some particular part of their brain tissue to see what makes them tick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Vegeta wrote:
    obviously, its just when Mr. Bennet was in the room he was fine. That's where the confusion arose.

Someone has already pointed out though that the Haitian only has to be in the general area to prevent others using their powers so this is why Mr. Bennet was safe but Eden was not.

First of all: The Haitian's ability is to erase the memories of others, there's nothing to indicate that he can disable other people's powers - otherwise why did they try & use those tazer-type thingys on Peter & Claude on the roof??? Sylar was probably preoccupied with getting out of the compound and that's why he didn't finish Bennet off. Or else, Bennet could possibly be useful in future for leading him to more victims????

WRT Sylar's Abilities: I'm trying to puzzle that one out still. He seems to have to open their skulls and remove their brain (e.g. with the episode where Hiro goes to Isaac's place the day of the bomb, Isaac's brain has been removed) in order to obtain their superhuman ability.
    *What does he do with the brains?
    *What was his ability in the first place? :confused:
    I know he could just look at a watch & know what was wrong but being analytical is not really a superhuman ability.
    *How does he inherit the DNA characteristics required to obtain the various superhuman powers through removing the brain - no one seems to have found any of the brains yet?
    He might be eating them : Maybe he'll just get CJD in the end;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The Haitian can stop peoples abilities. That's why Sylar couldn't use his powers most of the time in the cell. You also see this when the cop tries to read claires mind. They tried to tazor them to stop them from just running away.

It's possible that this didn't happen to Peter because he has now inherited this ability. It will be interesting to see if this effects Peter's ability to inherit other heroes powers. If he now blocks their power, will he still inherit it.

when did he inherent the Haitian's ability?

From what I've seen so far, he has come in direct physical contact with everyone he has absorbed the power of. When did this happen with the Haitian??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Is there any reason to think Claire's Dad isn't the one that can disable powers? Since the Haitin definitly has the power to mess with memory, who's to say he has two powers? Two powers would kinda go against the trend of the show where each character develops one genetic power.
    The only time I can remember the Haitin blocking power with no Bennet around was the Sylar bit, but was Bennet definitly not around?

I reckon Sylar can simply see how things work and if you know how something works then you can use it. In one of the early episodes he says something to Saresh (sp?) about the powers being stored in the brain and Saresh agrees... then he goes and cuts telekinetic boy's head off and eats the brrrrrains. I'm sure it's something to do with the genetic traits being focused in the brain or something they'll no doubt think up to explain it. Brain eating is a most excellent trait for a baddie.

His power is manipulating the brain: he can disable the memory cortex or if he chooses he can nullify the area where powers are governed.

Its the same way that Hiro can go backwards, forwards and stop time; its not 3 seperate powers....but in his blog he says he'd like to learn Meteor; cos he can already caste Stop and Haste :p

back on Sylar: if you've read the comic things he has one other unmentioned power he must have stolen:
    Freeze ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Not so sure about the eating of the brain. I can't see how eating the brain would transfer the powers (almost highlander territory now).
    Why didn't he escape after breaking the glass instead of waiting around for Bennett? Not much sense it makes

As for the Haitan having 2 powers, as the poster above said, he probably has control of the brain, which is where the powers are stored, allowing him to wipe memories and keep others powers subdued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

sprinkles wrote:
    Why didn't he escape after breaking the glass instead of waiting around for Bennett? Not much sense it makes

Ah ha!

You must read the graphic novel for that little fact...

• Advertisement
Advertisement