Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XPS Problems...

• 05-02-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Ok, i have a dell xps for the past month or more, not exactly blown away by it, its actually kind of slow, i've defragmented the hard drive as i've filled it with music and stuff, i have 70 gb filled of a 160gb hard drive. the computer is slow to start up and slow to shut down, when i go to open applications, its the same, a delay of 5-10 seconds maybe more before anything happens, surely 2gigs of ram would make it quicker than this? its really annoying but maybe no fault of the machine and maybe somethin i'm missing. i have up to date virus software etc so its prob not a virus

also i'm getting vista as a free upgrade and dont want to lose all my music and stuff, is there any way of installing without wiping everything??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ok, i have a dell xps for the past month or more, not exactly blown away by it, its actually kind of slow, i've defragmented the hard drive as i've filled it with music and stuff, i have 70 gb filled of a 160gb hard drive. the computer is slow to start up and slow to shut down, when i go to open applications, its the same, a delay of 5-10 seconds maybe more before anything happens, surely 2gigs of ram would make it quicker than this? its really annoying but maybe no fault of the machine and maybe somethin i'm missing. i have up to date virus software etc so its prob not a virus
    have you deleted all the dell ****e on the laptop

i unistalled mcafee and installed avg and my laptop is very qiuck

it also has 2 gigs of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Ye i uninstalled mcafee but bought Norton, does that pose a similar problem? i hear alot of people on about avg, seems to be very popular, might it be an idea to install this ahead of the norton equivalent? there's also a dell network assistant yoke that i'm not sure to keep or not, dunno if its actually heping or hindering the situation. i wanna limit the amount of things coming up on start-up, how does one stop all those random pieces of software starting when i start up the machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Ye i uninstalled mcafee but bought Norton

Norton is worse, your laptop should be running like a dream, remove all the crap that dell install, update all your drivers to the latest ones, install AVG Free edition

that is gold, you were exactly like me so, very annoying tho! thought it was just me bein stoopid but on that subject, where does one find that msconfig? :confused:
    i reckon i might buy that avg so, dont mind buyin it as long as its good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

that is gold, you were exactly like me so, very annoying tho! thought it was just me bein stoopid but on that subject, where does one find that msconfig? :confused:
    i reckon i might buy that avg so, dont mind buyin it as long as its good!

Msconfig is under:

Start=>run

type msconfig.

For the rest of the other shite use the dell decrapifier.

WOW, ye guys know your stuff, thats very helpful, thanks a million, might keep the norton for the time being, that link was dead helpful headshot, i'll get on the case this evening and get the laptop's act cleaned up, its a sad state of affairs that we have to do this!

Ok, so in msconig, i went into startup and turned off the likes of itunes on startup etc. Now i was reading in a previous thread about some fetch folder in your windows file and delete all of that, i found it but didnt go through with deleting anything, is there any files i need in there or what do they do? the startup is still taking 45 seconds, i have all my music (about 70gig) in the my music folder, could this be a factor? or where's the best place to put it?

also i have 1mb eircom broadband and connect wirelessly to my laptop, the max speed i get is 54mb according to the message on screen, is there anyway of speeding this up or is this as fast as the card transfers info?

really appreaciate any help on any of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you still running Norton? That will cripple a super computer :D
    Oh and AVG is free! Well there is a free version that is.

really? that bad? its hard to believe its causing all the problems but then again i dont know a whole pile about this. might keep it seein as i was stupid enought to pay for it! does avg have a firewall, spam blocker etc?

• Advertisement

does avg have a firewall, spam blocker etc?
    no

i use windows firewall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Norton is a pile of poo. I use mcafee and its not too bad. Its the corporate version. If I was going to use something else it would be avg. Check the sticky in Computers/Technology for free software for spam blocking/firewall etc.

Still can't believe that its causing you that much hassle though. I'd say yours is fairly similar to mine in terms of spec.

awh ye, they'd def be similar alright, gonna try out a few things and keep ye posted on it all, bit annoying really, but i'm sure i'll sort it, thanks tho!

Advertisement