Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS external graphics for laptops

Options
  • 05-02-2007 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Thinking about upgrading to a dual/quad processor - spotted this from ASUS.

Anybody know anymore about it or got some opinions on it based on spec?

Had planned to go with a mod tower build - not so sure if I need to now.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SirCuddlesworth

It's bandwidth starved at pci-ex*1. Buy a desktop if you play games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well no-one has see any benchmarks yet so it remains to be seen how much the PCI-e x1 link will affect it.

Impressions from the conventions where it was demoed showed it to run fairly well though it has a draw back in that you need an external display you cannot use the laptops built in one.

It might never see the light of day either so I'd contemplate on alternate options.

The internals of it were a 7900GS so not bad but notebook with ExpressCard slot + external GPU + monitor don't make it very portable though the the no gas guzzling GPU in the notebook is a desirable feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

The potential bandwidth issue and external monitor requirement were news to me - sticking with a desktop for gaming - many thanks SirCuddlesworth and 8T8.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

exactly..pci-e*1 was designed for audio/network cards etc..definitely not enough bandwidth there for graphics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There are pci-e 1x cards out for desktops that can play games as well as their agp counterparts, although they are only released in the low end models, the x1300 and I think there's one or two others.

Point: Don't totally rule it out yet although at the same time it'd be stupid to bank on it right now as an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

HavoK wrote:
    There are pci-e 1x cards out for desktops that can play games as well as their agp counterparts, although they are only released in the low end models, the x1300 and I think there's one or two others.

Point: Don't totally rule it out yet although at the same time it'd be stupid to bank on it right now as an option

Yeah but a 7900GS is not a card that is put on a pci-ex*1 slot with ease. What I would hope to see is a revision of the slot with a *4 or *8 slot. Then I would find the concept hard to fault.

-Games at home
    -Work laptop for on the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Now this is interesting, the PCI-SIG which maintains PCI-e have just completed the specification for external PCI-e supporting all the way up to x16 connections.

That would be even more ideal with no x1 link issues to deal with like with Expresscard.

The only fly in the ointment is that look how long it took for eSATA to take hold or ExpressCard hopefully future laptops will come with the connector. As with out an install base the vendors wont go to the trouble of building an external PCI-e GPU.

Advertisement