Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Style - Cut or follow

Options
  • 05-02-2007 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Was in the country side over the weekend and as I pushed on a bit I notice how many drivers remain stedfastly to their own side of the road even on open bends where you can clearly see there is no oncoming cars.

Surely this is wasting time, and petrol over the lifetime of a car and most definately the tyres get an unecessary scrubbing in corners that need not exist?

Am I alone in my thinking on this ?

Comments

Meh, its not a big deal.

But I'm pretty sure people call you the son of satan for daring to mention driving over the centre line.

ooops Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

On bends like that you can ssometimes see further ahead by keeping out a bit.

Sometimes it's safer to drive in the centre of the road, straddling the line.

One example would be Leeson Park in Ranelagh when it's quiet. There's cars parked down either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

RobAMerc wrote:
    Surely this is wasting time, and petrol over the lifetime of a car

So does stopping at red lights at empty junctions.

Driving the back roads in North Clare on Sunday, I came across 3 cars that came at me on the wrong side of the road at corners. I'm sure they 'd all swear blind that the road was clear for them do do it - but evidently they were wrong.

The point of the rules of the road isn't to save you time or money, it's to have a standard set of practices that, if everyone adheres to, minimises the chances of accidents and "but I thought there was nothing coming" scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

phutyle wrote:

Driving the back roads in North Clare on Sunday, I came across 3 cars that came at me on the wrong side of the road at corners. I'm sure they 'd all swear blind that the road was clear for them do do it - but evidently they were wrong.

The point of the rules of the road isn't to save you time or money, it's to have a standard set of practices that, if everyone adheres to, minimises the chances of accidents and "but I thought there was nothing coming" scenarios.

I think you miss read the name of this forum, its the Motors forum not the Mothers forum.
    There are people on this forum who flashe oncoming overtaking drivers if they are 2kms ahead beacuse they dared to venture onto the other side of the road - those lunatics !

ronoc mate your dead right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I know what you mean, but the biggest problem I see is giving our boys in blue an excuse to stop you. The road might not be as clear as you first thought either, and legally you'd be putting yourself out on a limb if you're on the wrong side of the road for no good reason in the event of an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

phutyle wrote:

Fair enough, but I personally find that if it's a case of "I thought there was nothing coming" I won't do anything dangerous. However there are bends out there that one can say with 100% certainty "I know there is nothing coming", and on those ones I take the straightest line through. I'm sure the OP also means the same bends and isn't one of the plonkers that you met on your side of the road (and we all meet them).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I drove to Bessington from Bray over the SallyGap last week. Its been a few years since I did that trip and the road just felt a lot more dangerous than I remembered so I didn't press on. I didn't remember my wheels being so close to the ditches at the side the last time.

Twas only when my mother who was in the car with my asked me why I was sticking to my own side of the road even though there was no on-coming traffic that I realised I was sticking to my side and driving slowly for the very fact that she was in the car! Subconciously taking it easy.

Last time I was up there with my mate I probably drove down the middle the whole time and thats why the road seemed less dangerous and wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

phutyle wrote:
    Driving the back roads in North Clare on Sunday, I came across 3 cars that came at me on the wrong side of the road at corners. I'm sure they'd all swear blind that the road was clear for them do do it - but evidently they were wrong.

I am lucky enough to live in the country, not in cursed Dublin, and each day on the way to work I come to a blind leftward bend. It is equally blind when I come back in the evening. After a couple of frights when I moved here nine years ago, I always blow the horn whichever side I come from. It is remarkable how many vehicles, usually Hiace or Transit vans driven by the self-employed but occasionally a startled senior citizen, swerve back into their own side and avoid running into me.

Advertisement