Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband Providers

Options
  • 05-02-2007 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I'm looking to get wireless broadband in the house.The problems I'm having with eircom is unreal. I was wondering who else provides wirless broadband to greystones? I have a phone line with eircom but to be honest the with the problems I've had with them recently I don't mind cancelling my line with them and using someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Perty wrote:
    I'm looking to get wireless broadband in the house.The problems I'm having with eircom is unreal. I was wondering who else provides wirless broadband to greystones? I have a phone line with eircom but to be honest the with the problems I've had with them recently I don't mind cancelling my line with them and using someone else.

I use Irish broadband and it's fairly ok. Two of my neighbours are using my bandwidth too and still no significant problems. I also have a dublin landline number over the wireless connection (VOIP) and my ordinary phone connected to it via a converter. Works ok, not as reliable as ordinary land line but for emergency there's always mobile phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

That's strange because Irish Broadband told me that Charlesland wasn't within their coverage. I'm in the Park. I wonder do they only service certain parts of Charlesland?

Perty wrote:
    That's strange because Irish Broadband told me that Charlesland wasn't within their coverage. I'm in the Park. I wonder do they only service certain parts of Charlesland?

that's legendary irish broad band customer service for you.
    charlesland is fully covered, as you can see from many IBB aerials on the roofs. I'm in park too. Ring them and SHOUT at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Shouting at people never gets you anywhere...except maybe 6 months in prison for road rage (different topic). If you are having trouble with Eircom Retail...change to someone else like UTV Talk/Clicksilver...very good customer service (I think its very good cause either they haven't got many customers to deal with or else they have enough staff to deal with problems or maybe they don't have many problems with their service cause they are so good in the first place)...others like BT you could go with but I think their customer service lets them down. I'm not a fan of wireless...just don't think it can connect as well as a wire!

Good luck with it though!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CD_GD

Hi, we have BT and find it great. I agree that their customer service could be a lot better as it takes a very long time to order and to get assistance with the install but once it's in there is no problems with it at all. They also bundle it with a very good phone package. Their broadband and landline package is cheaper than Eircom and includes UK calls (for free!!) as well as your national and local calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Rainy

Why don't you join Perlico. My parents have switched hassle free and a saving a fortune on both phone & broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered the Irish Broadband online despite them telling me that we're not within their coverage. I'm willing to take the chance considering lots of other people in the area are using them. I'll let you know how we get on. The funny thing was last night eircom rang to see how we were getting on with their broadband service.....what a joke!! I preceded to tell them that we have had no service since we joined up two months ago and that I've spoken to at least 30 people in eircom over the last three weeks to see what the story was and I continuously got shoved from one person to another and all giving me different answers. I gave them an earful and told them that we are changing over to a competitor. They didn't put up much of a fight! As usual they don't really give a damn about their customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

Hi All,

Received this email recently from DigiWeb

Hi,

I am pleased to advise you that our new Metro base station in Greystones is in the final stages of testing and that we will be starting installations in your area in February.

Our Metro service delivers very high speed Internet access and crystal clear Digital voice solutions to homes and Businesses throughout Ireland without the need for a standard phone line. We offer FREE line rental and FREE phone calls between all Digiweb Customers, day or night, residential or business and shortly to other Digital Voice providers and all our Phone call rates are guaranteed lower than Eircom rates.

Over the coming months we will also be introducing a full Digital TV package and Video on Demand services along with exciting home security solutions.

The key message behind the product innovation is simplicity - our products are simple to understand and have simple pricing structures with no hidden catches or gimmicks.

Please find attached some more information about the New Metro Wireless Broadband services and get Broadband + a phone line for as little as €19.95 a month for unlimited access!

With Eircom's standard phone line rental costing just under EUR20 per month ex VAT, Metro represents a massive shake-up in the Irish telecoms market.

If you wish me to place you on the pre-order list for installation of Metro please just reply to this email or call me on 1800 28 58 28

Kind regards

Suzanne

My only question is whether this 'METRO' product requires a direct line of sight to bray head. Apparently this product is based on Radio Frequency technology and simply requires a small alarm sized box to be mounted on your back wall. I replied to this email and the response was... "eh, we're not sure". Needless to say, after a response like that from their sales people I wont be scrambling to switch. Although with the current poor customer service and over charging from BT I may think about it.

has anyone else heard about this product coming to greystones and whether it requires a direct line of sight to bray head?

TnJ wrote:

My only question is whether this 'METRO' product requires a direct line of sight to bray head. Apparently this product is based on Radio Frequency technology and simply requires a small alarm sized box to be mounted on your back wall. I replied to this email and the response was... "eh, we're not sure". Needless to say, after a response like that from their sales people I wont be scrambling to switch. Although with the current poor customer service and over charging from BT I may think about it.

has anyone else heard about this product coming to greystones and whether it requires a direct line of sight to bray head?

Don't know about digiweb but I would assume it should work in Charlesland. I'm with Irish Broadband and it works fine. I actually rang Digiweb on Friday to explore the possibility of switching to them but they said they charge you €90 for installation which I think it's outrageous considering the amount of money they'd be extracting from you over years so I told them I won't switch! They didn't seem to particularly care anyway :)

Advertisement