Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64-bit vs 128-bit

Options
  • 05-02-2007 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

How much of a difference does this really make? I bought a vanilla 6600 today for my second computer, but it's only the 64-bit model as they didn't have the 128-bit one.

I'm constantly hearing 'the 64-bit will cripple performance', but I'm not sure to what extent - I have a Go7400 in my laptop, also 64-bit, but have no problems whatsoever running games more or less then same as equivilent 128-bit cards....

Same again with the 7600gt....people whining the 128-bit bus was disasterous, when it actually impacted very little on performance...

Opinions? Obviously I know a 64-bit bus would matter in a high end card, but keep in mind we're talking about a vanilla 6600 here....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

At low resolutions it wont make much of a difference but as you crank details and resolution with AA it really will which is about a straight forward as I can put it.

The 6600GT and 7600GT where finely balanced parts as that's where NVIDIA makes it's money so they hone those models well but for instance their where some 6800's with a 128 bit bus which where crippled no better than mid-range parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah thanks 8t8. I have it paired with a Celeron D and 768mb of ram, still cranking out Battlefield 2 at 50fps at medium settings, it's pretty much the cpu and ram limiting me more so then the 6600, so I don't think I've anything to worry about playing on a 15" monitor...:)

Advertisement