Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scart through wall

Options
  • 05-02-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right section, if not mods please move it.

I have set up a 20" LCD in the playroom for the kids. To keep thing neat and away from small fingers I have the LCD on the wall and the cabling passing through the wall to the pantry and back into an alcove in the original room.

I have Sky from the sitting room via RF2 using a magic eye and working perfectly. For the DVD player I am using 3 phono cables to the DVD (5m length) and it is working fine too. The one thing that I would love would be to regain scart switching capabilities so that the DVD comes on screen automatically when turned on rather than having to select AV2 on the TV remote.

So my question is, rather than making a huge hole in each wall to pass a scart through is there any alternative way to get scart switching using either the 3 phono or a mix of others cabling? Or is there a scart cable that has a multiplug connection that can be passed through a small opening? (Ive searched and cant find such a thing)

The TV has S-Video, Scart and 3 phono. The DVD has just scart and component connections.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Haven't seen such a cable.

One option you might consider would be a SCART - S-video cable (with the 3 connectors). The S-Video end would fit through the smaller hole. Then slap an S-Video to SCART on that before it goes into the TV....

Or just design a 2 piece SCART cable which can screw together, patent it, make a mint, give me a cut, get a builder in and get the job done....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Those wireless scarts seem great, but a bit too pricey for this job.

I like the idea of the S-Video - Scart converter. But will that provide the switching like a regular scart to automatically change the TV to AV1 to when the DVD is turned on?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

A lot of those wireless yokes only seem to do composite video, and the cheaper ones (like those) apparently just send analogue video over the 2.4GHz band, which means a lot of interference if there's a nearby wireless LAN, bluetooth stuff, microwave oven, etc. I've seen some people using these (probably even cheaper units though) and the picture was awful :(

S-video doesn't have any switching signals of its own.

One alternative I can think of would be to dismantle the SCART plug, pull out the relevant pins, cut off the ones you don't need (like video and audio going the other way), and then re-assemble the plug on the other side. It's quite easy to do this with cheaper generic SCART plugs anyway - you just have to bend in a small piece of metal on each pin for them to come out of the housing.

^ that sounds like the plan, I think I will give that a go. I will go and find one of my many spare scart leads and see how to hack it up, then I will get a similar 5m one. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I may be missing the point but are we simply looking for a scart plug that will accept 3 phono plugs ie 1 video and 2 audio? They can be got anywhere.maybe even in your local newsagents. They are that common.

What I was doing was setting up the system so that when the DVD comes on it switches the input on the TV to show the DVD automatically, this doesn't happen with a scart adapter, it needs actual scart.

I haven't had time to get back to the install yet, but I have a 5m scart that I have opened up and it seems easy enough to de-pin the scart to get it through the wall. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

what kind of wall is it.
    If we are talking plasterboard then you could make a large hole and use plasterboard back boxes with blanking plates or even scart plates.

Or you could chop a smart scart cable in half, route it through the wall and re connect it.

Or as already mentioned dismantle one end of the scart lead and re solder the wires back on after routing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Phoenix3 wrote:
    I may be missing the point but are we simply looking for a scart plug that will accept 3 phono plugs ie 1 video and 2 audio? They can be got anywhere.maybe even in your local newsagents. They are that common.
    Us athe above and then why not add an extra cable yourself? Open up both of the adapters and connect the pin that carriers the switching signal (pin 8 I think) in both by soldering a single core cable between them. Should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread as I did researching something similar: They have cables for this now with a detachable scart head.
    I googled scart through wall and this was one of the first results:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/5m-through-wall-scart.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxav

Advertisement