Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male kitten Vs Female kitten

Options
  • 05-02-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm adoption a little girl and boy kitten next weekend.:) I had originally wanted to get two girls, but the cat assosciation which i've been intouch with have asked me to take a brother and sister who have been waiting in foster care for months. I said Yes... Now people are saying to me "oh no Boy cats wee everywhere" is this right. I'm planning on keeping them indoors as i work and the cat association has suggested they be "house cats"... Anyone advise me on Boy Cats... are they really that smelly :mad: ? ? ? ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

No they are not smelly at all. It appears to be a common misconception !
    The smell emitted by males is scent marking and it does smell but neutered male cats do not do this.

I would ask the cat rescue group if the cats are neutered as I would expect them to be if they have been waiting months for a home.

Please check this out as you are asking for disaster with a male and female if they are not.

If they are too young then arrange to have them done as early as possible to deter the male scent marking and to prevent the female having any more unwanted kitties !

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

totally agree with SuzyS I have a male indoor only cat (& 2 females) & he doesn't smell at all...... Now the dogs when they get wet - that's another story :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If they get into the habit of it any neutered cat will spray, they would might do this if theyre upset over a change ie moving furniture,new animal etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Trust me male cats don't smell I have had male cats in the past and have never encountered this as long as they are house trained you should have no problems. I have found though that female cats tend to be slightly more affectionate and good natured than males.

Do make sure that your female is neutered or you'll end up with more than two cats:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

7 indoor cats here, 3 of which are male. They certainly don't smell as they're neutered. Personally I find the males more affectionate. Everyone will have a different story though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Do agree males cats are def more affectionate, but like human men thats only cuz they want something.

As for Toms and spraying, would have to agree with Dr. Evil on this if they get into habit with spraying they will continue to do it, so help if they are neutered early as in 6 monhs. Before they feel they need to mark territory! Also as Suzy says coming from a adoption place they should of been done already especially if they are being housed together and have been there for months. Cats generally don't bother to find out how closely related they are before they get down to.. well ya know what i mean

Best of luck with your new family members. You should post a pic when ya get them.

http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets.asp

find they have good tips/advice here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I have a male and female cat, and while he is not smellier than the girl, he is more inclined to pee and poop wherever takes his fancy, I have caught him going to the toilet in my bath, sink, clothes basket, sofa, plant pots to name but a few places. Not sure if thats just the way he is as I never had a male pet before, but god he is so much bolder than the girl, and they are the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just another post to agree with "most" of whats above - I have a brother & sister cat I got from a rescue place when they were 12 weeks. The male cat is not at all smellier - he was neutered at 5 months and never ever sprayed anywhere.

They are both hyper fussy about their litter trays though - and occasionally poo in the bath if I'm not home in time to clean out their trays to their exacting standards!! But thats my fault really.

My boy cat is just fabulous though and would cuddle me to death if he could. He loves me to pick him up and carry him around like a baby - purrs like mad. He's lovely! :D

Brother & sister cats are supposed to get on better also btw.

Enjoy your two when you get them - you are in for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I have a male 3yr old he was a rescue too but not neutered when I got him but he never sprayed, even before being neutered.

Have heard that brother and sister cats live together best just make sure you get them spayed/neutered!!
    Enjoy!!

ps totally agree with the male cat being affectionate thing - yet only when hes looking for something!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

In my limited experience, I've found the boys to be much more cuddly and affectionate, too! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement