Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Forester 2.0 XT

Options
  • 05-02-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a Subaru Forester, the old shape 2litre turbo.
    I have the non-turbo version and get 30-32mpg. I am told the turbo is a bit thirstier, depending on how much welly you give it. Anybody here drive one and what mpg do you get driving it easy or with gusto?

Also is the All Weather Pack standard on the turbo model or was it an extra (Sunroof, fog lights, cruise control, heated seats).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

LIGHTNING wrote:
    Well a friend of mine has a legacy turbo and he struggles to get over 30mpg. That said its a fantastic car well built,quick and a great drivers car.If you can afford the petrol then Id say go for it!

Thanks for that.
    Must be the older 2litre model he has, I heard the new 2.5l drinks fuel. I am pretty sure that shares the same engine as the Subaru. If he can get 30mpg that is good news to me, don't want something that is in the low 20s!
    Nice car the legacy, would be on my list if I was getting a saloon. Need a hatchback and legacy outback a bit big for me/impreza hatchback a bit small :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I used have one.

2.0 S Turbo. Fine machine. Got around 25mpg with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

The 2.0 Turbo was the best car I ever had and I still regret selling it, in a foolish trade-in for a Nissan Patrol. I can't afford another Forester now. I do a lot of long journeys so I got about 28 mpg with mine. But the car is so beautiful that the mpg doesn't matter. Buy one, and keep it, and then buy another and be thankful for your good fortune.

I am a civil servant, and if I live to retirement age I will get a lot of money as a tax-free retirement lump sum (I know it's unfair, and you should burn down Leinster House about it, but I've got it and I'm keeping it). With my retirement lump sum I will buy another Forester, and I hope it will be the 2.5 turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Brother had a 2.0 turbo and it drank petrol. He drives easy enough and could never crack 25mpg. A turbo Subaru is not what you want if you good mpg!

Thanks guys for the feedback. 25mpg sounds about right so. Was thinking there would be a price (5-6mpg!) for the extra 60bhp!
    Test drove one and was really impressed, car was indentical to mine, except for the turbo. Made such a difference to how the car moved. Mine takes a little while to build up momentum, where as the turbo just goes and keeps going.
    My head says what happens if petrol jumps up again, my heart says just get one. At least now I have a good idea of how often I will be visiting the pumps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I have a 2000 turbo s, consumption aint great, about 25mpg, but hay, you will be a long time dead and you dont want to be the richest man in the graveyard!!!!

Seriously, really depends how you drive, anything over 3500 revs and you are suckin fuel. Drive it easy and its fine. I dont have a long commute so it doesnt really bother me.

Thinking of selling mine, but am stuck to find options, as the forester is so feckin enjoyable to own. Great on mountain roads, even better off-road. Looking at getting a 2.5 forester turbo, 230bhp!!

Check this thread out, drooolllll.
    http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12685

Joe

joemc99 wrote:
    I have a 2000 turbo s, consumption aint great, about 25mpg, but hay, you will be a long time dead and you dont want to be the richest man in the graveyard!!!!

Seriously, really depends how you drive, anything over 3500 revs and you are suckin fuel. Drive it easy and its fine. I dont have a long commute so it doesnt really bother me.

Thinking of selling mine, but am stuck to find options, as the forester is so feckin enjoyable to own. Great on mountain roads, even better off-road. Looking at getting a 2.5 forester turbo, 230bhp!!

Check this thread out, drooolllll.
    http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12685

Joe

I hear the 2.5 legacy turbo is a serious driving machine (same engine I guess).
    Foresters have a bit more practicality and great fun around a field or bumpy track.

Yeah, thinking along those lines. If getting a petrol car may as well get something with a bit of go. Sure else I should be looking at diesels :rolleyes: ....not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 line-o-sight

Hey there ,
    new addition to family and need to move from Nissan 200SX to something more family friendly. Looking at Forester S for some time now but fear on loosing the 'drive factor'. What's the bhp on the '00' model. Got to make the move sometime.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

power is ~ 175 bhp, no sure on the torque. It'll do 0-100km in about 8. A bit of roll, but lots of grip. Great boxer noise, and, as its the same engine as the impreza (de-tuned), it can be tuned to a lot more power (if you are into that kind of thing). Same chassis as the impreza too btw. Turbo kicks in at about 3-3.5k revs, and there is a good kick off it.

Wont drive like the Nissan 200SX, no where near as firm as that! But a great estate, not a car, not a 4X4, somewhere in between.

Advertisement