Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Brake Result - does it need fixing?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A car that was recently tested for the NCT passed, but one of the values, namely the Brake Test, Rear Axle, Brake Effort was very cose at 29% imbalance to the failure limit of 30%. I dont know what values were like in previous NCT tests. The values in this test were:

Nearside 1.58 kN
    Offside 1.12 KN

Imbalance 29% (Passed)
    Limit 30%

Do the breaks need looking into, is this a worn brake pad or something and are the values quite low?

opinions, advice, welcome ....

Redspider

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have someone look at them then next time its serviced. The thing about the NCt is that a repeat test tomorrow may reveal better values (and also worse I guess).
    When were they last looked at? Do you notice anything when driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

kbannon wrote:
    Have someone look at them then next time its serviced. The thing about the NCt is that a repeat test tomorrow may reveal better values (and also worse I guess).
    When were they last looked at? Do you notice anything when driving?

I thought I got back to you yesterday on this but seems not.

Yes, getting them checked at the next service seems a reasonable idea.

You're right, NCT test results are variable. I dont know when they were last looked at or what the values were in the previous NCT. As far as I am aware, there is no noticeable effect when driving.

To me it just seems that 29% is very close to 30% to be insignificant so practically this aspect has failed. Whether it is a safety issue or not is another thing, as perhaps the tolerance level of 30% is well within danger limits. Maybe 50% it can be noticed etc.

I havent found a good source of the explanations of these values and what are good values to have. Mind you, I didnt read the NCT guidelines so they may have something on it.

thanks,

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would'nt be too concerned with rear brake imbalance at 29%, except to say that the next time (assuming no parts are renewed) it'll fail but thats in two years! New pads both sides would proberly fix it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Could be one of the rear calipers sticking. Dirt/grit and water can get past the rubber seals and form rust, making it stick. Removing, cleaning and regreasing the piston and guide pins would fix that if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If it was a sticky caliper you'd hope the NCT chappies would mention the wheel not turning freely.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

It can stick in a way that stops the caliper clamping properly as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

It is likely you may have rear drums and shoes rathar than a caliper and pads. if this is the case, the shoes will need to be adjusted, to compensate for wear, and should always be adjusted so they provide eqaul force.

it isnt something you need to worry about too much, possible as others have said at the next service.

Advertisement