Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Calculus is the reason I actually like paper one, that cant be said for paper 2 though:(
    Kinda hard to believe when I looked through the marking scheme last year that some part a questions were allocated 15 marks in a few questions:eek:
    I hope this happens this year:)
    Has anyone noticed the C(i) and (ii) parts are quite do-able but sometimes the C(iii) parts are a little confusing in wording terms?
    Also does anyone reckon its a bad idea just studying maths(ordinary) from the exam papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

One week down, one to go babeh! So far I sense a fail in maths and economics.

English paper 2 was alright, English paper 1 was sort of...so handy that I must have screwed it up, if you get me?

History was alright, probably scraped a pass but I made half of it up.

French was grand, ordinary level ftw.

I predict a crash and burn in Irish paper 2 and Home-ec, oh yes, roll on Tuesday, the scent of failure will be over-powering.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Thanks for all the tips, good to know what might be a good idea to revise. I do Early European History (Bismarck, Wilhelm II,WWIetc.) any tips on that from anyone here?

Our teacher gave us two questions on the board, one of them happened to be Lady Macbeth and Macbeth, comparisons basically. So I'll probably do a bit of extra work on that and Kingship, (which I need for a class test anyway!) We still have to revise Kavanagh, was hoping Forst and Donne would come up. I can talk for ages about their imagery!

English and History are the two exams I am stressing most for! My personal essay is about a concert. From what any of you remember is it likely I can use the pictures to my advantage, or can you give me an idea of them?

I'll go over dictatorship for Mussolini and Hitler, our teacher was talking about option questions: "If they give you a question that says do... well Mussolini or Hitler for example, you can do both. But it would be better not to..." ;)

So much information for for History, also if there are any tips on the Maths would be kindly appreciated, heard that 1 over X was the differentiation proof!

does anyone reckon its a bad idea just studying maths(ordinary) from the exam papers

Well no, that is what will bst prepare you from they type of questions that come up. I am not sure about the differences between Honours and Ordinary, but generally I find that by doing the questions you are going to have to look back ast your book anyway if you are stuck and in that way it will help you spot weak areas of your maths, rather than revising everything in the book! :)

If you've been told that Kingship and the Macbeth/Lady M question might be coming up, then I'd revise Plath, Frost, Kavanagh and Elliot. Also, maybe your general vision/viewpoint or theme ;)

• Advertisement

Heh thanks, I hope the Comparative goes well for me, I was hoping for Cultural Context, but I'll have to adapt. I plan on revising both anyway. But since I know Cultural Context better I can concetrate more on vision/viewpoint!

I don't like the theme question, it can be very, what's the word, oh yeah finicky. I probably be doing the single question of either anyway, we haven't done the broken down parts as of yet.

One thing I like about Kingship is that it could show up in character studies aswell, you could be ask to compare Malcolm with Macbeth etc.

You're probably more likely to get Duncan with Macbeth, or say....Contrasting styles of Kingship? Cough, cough.

Ehe, I won't read to much into anything. Could just be the teacher trying to cover as much as possible before the mocks anyway!

But was there a spin on the theme question can you remember? I hate angle questions, though we were told you can deal with angle in the last paragraph.

The way we did Kingship as to contrast the three kings (Duncan, Malcolm, and to a lesser extent Edward) to Macbeth. We also did each seperately (except Edward) in comparison to macbeth, as well as Macduff. Though that appears unlikely to come up now it seems! ;) Course, that is what I know best, curse my luck!

The theme one was how a theme treated can heighten the reader's experience of a text or something along those lines.

The usual crap, lol. Perfect. very simialr to the 2006 question. "presentation of a theme of issue, aded to the impact of the texts."

"The treatment of the theme of moral choice in these texts is an interesting one, all authors seem to suggest that other factors influence our moral judgement and that no choice is entirely altruistic. Most are based on prejudice, social stigma and self-interest. However, all texts seem to have at least one character who stands against this idea. In SM it is Epie, who chooses Silas over a life if Luxury. In “TAM” it is Juror 8 who stands his ground to allow the boy a fair trial and, perhaps, Biff, who risks everything he is brought up to value in a desperate attempt to save his father from a deluded dream."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

for the b part in the comprehensions i did the diary with bertie. basically 3 pages of taking the mick out of every politician i could think of.

3 pages for a diary entry? I did less than one for mine....O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

maybe it wasnt quite 3 but i know it was more than 2. oh its so fuzzy now. thats how it always is for me. i do the exam and then a few hours later i can barely remember what i wrote!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rozabeez wrote:

If it's perfect you'll be grand..

That sections about quality not quantity ;)

I counted over 250 words, and iirc that's just about right from the other papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Rozabeez wrote:
    My "short talk" to the kids about my ideal career just ended up at around a page, so I'm hoping I'll be okay. I will lose a few marks because it was structured atrociously - opening paragraph was 3 lines, second was about 30 lines and third was about 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have Biology tomorrow. Seriously unprepaired.

I spent the whole weekend and last week preparing for my art practicals. The amount of time art takes up is mad.
    All the exams put together last around 8 1/2 hours altogether :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neado-luz-ye

Spank wrote:
    Anyone start their mocks today? I had English one and two, I totally blew one, waffled my way through it. Paper two was gold though :)

ye i ad mine...taut paper 1 was alri bu made a mess a paper 2 xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

DEB papers. (Or you actually are screwed).

Paper 1-Theme-Lifestyles- First comp- greedy Ireland, unhealthy/fat nation blah blah blah. Question B on it is a letter to the editor

Second comp- modern life of a geisha (nearly died, it's my hist topic). questions were quite hard, so i avoided it..and i disagreed with it :). Question B on it was 'You've been asked by your guidance counseller to give a talk on a job you love (something like that)'

Third comp- visuals, various pictures of different lifestyles...celebrity, criminal, the goof life, cosmpolitan etc. Never looked at the questions, but did the question B on it. 'Write a detailed diary entry of ONE of the people in the pictures opposite'. Picture os someone in jail. SO easy.

Essays- Eh, something on materialism in our society, an article on the importance ofarts and tradition, speech on worries in your life...short story inspired by one of the images, etc.

Paper 2-Macbeth- Differences and similarities between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth OR Kingship. Kingship is actually easy, good kings duncan/malcolm, bad king Macbeth etc.

Comparative- how did the treatment of a theme add to the reading experience? didn't read general vision.

Poetry- Eliot, Plath, Kavanagh, Frost.

Unseen- 'After a Reading', the differences between ordinary life and the life of a poet, basically.

Anyone NOT have this paper?? ie the examcraft ones? Can anyone tell me what Macbeth question and poets came up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cathy07

Has ne1 done the DEB Physics paper yet??? hav it 2moro and need help!!

• Advertisement

Anyone NOT have this paper?? ie the examcraft ones? Can anyone tell me what Macbeth question and poets came up?

Yeah. Don't know which company it was though.
    Not sure if it is too late...

Macbeth: Study Lady Macbeth and the theme of betrayal.
    Poets: Plath, Montague, Kavanagh and Eliot.

My paper one was the one about neat and sloppy people.

:)

Anyone had Home-Ec yet? Or Art History?

I had Irish paper 2 today. Very easy. Well I'm doing pass so you would expect it to be easy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

ya badly neeedin physics help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Lia_lia wrote:
    Yeah. Don't know which company it was though.
    Not sure if it is too late...

Macbeth: Study Lady Macbeth and the theme of betrayal.
    Poets: Plath, Montague, Kavanagh and Eliot.

My paper one was the one about neat and sloppy people.

:)

Anyone had Home-Ec yet? Or Art History?

I had Irish paper 2 today. Very easy. Well I'm doing pass so you would expect it to be easy :rolleyes:
    Lol bit late now, just did it today haha. Didnt get betrayal though.. just the lady macbeth Q and appearances being deceptive.. Failed fairly badly haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

Anybody willing to give me a few tips on Business. All our teacher has told us is to know our abbreviations, Any help would be great.........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Roney89

Could anyone tell me about the constrution studies mock paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Check the physics topic... i just posted what come up on it.

Lol bit late now, just did it today haha. Didnt get betrayal though.. just the lady macbeth Q and appearances being deceptive.. Failed fairly badly haha

Any chance you could give me a couple of the essay titles from you English Paper 1, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Exam Craft paper.............

Didnt get appearances being deceptive..

Oh yeah, thats what it was...oops.

Has anyone done Art History...please :confused:

Or does anyone know what is on the pass Irish paper 1...the paper two had Nil Aon Ni, Gealt and Bimse Buan ar Buairt Gach Lo.

Anyone??!

K, I just discovered through vairous means that one of the comparative's coming up in my DEB English Mocks is "Cultural Context". So if anyone else happened to get this paper, most of the hints here I think are for the paper with theme. Also one of the essay questions [the seven options incl. Personal Essay], was a letter to the taoiseach if that makes it more specific.

• Advertisement

Could anyone who has done the examcraft english paper tell me what came up in paper 2? i.e. Poets, Macbeth Q, The Comparitives......

Paper 1 was about neat and sloppy people, stereotypes, and body language.

Advertisement