Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am I missing anything?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭

just wondering if i have missed anything
    Please feel free to comment:)

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU £58.99
    Pioneer DVR-111BK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black) OEM £18.99
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM £42.99
    Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £111.99
    Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail £173.99
    GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400DC) £104.99
    HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ 3 TURBO SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI - Retail (H195PRQT256DD-R) £114.99
    Sub Total : £626.93
    Parcelforce Euro 48 Shipping : £22.00
    Vat : £113.56
    Total : £762.49

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Nope everything looks good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Looking good. Would that psu be powerful enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I presume it will be enough.(psu)
    as the dvd drive is oem will that mean there will be no screws and cable with it?

Usually there is even with OEM but screws will come with the case at least a cable should come in the motherboard box so I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Bigger hard drive/another one maybe? That motherboard have wireless and Ethernet and all that?

• Advertisement

Hopefully the gear will arrive monday.
    One Question(well a few):D
    The pc this lot is replacing got fried by lightning a few weeks back.
    went off for insurance and all i got back was the hard drive (took the other out before i sent it off)
    i have seen on another thread that it is possible to change motherboards without reinstalling windows.
    What i would like to know is can i get this drive to boot windows.
    If i hooked it up to my (pII 450 Gateway) as a slave could i roll back the drivers ? or do anything worthwhile.
    what is the best way of doing it?
    Should i just load XP onto the new hd and reinstall all my software?
    What about all the contacts in Outlook? and not to mention the rules for the mail accounts.
    I should have had them backed up i know (but i was going to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

if i was you i would reinstall on a new hdd(do you have 1)

then pop in the old 1 and take all ur stuf off it and then format it:D

No sign of it yet (at least i have a job which entails being at home all day):D

Put the drive into my old machine started up bios saw the drive so i thought everything was tickety boo.
    except when i opened my computer i couldn't see the drive.

so did some rechecking of connectors,etc.
    checked the system information .this showed the drive .

Then i remembered that older versions of windows (this pc is running ME) had limitations as to the size of partitions,
    looked it up and sure enough it has a limitation of 137GB.so that is my prob. 160GBwd

just have to build new rig. load up xp on to the new hd and hopefully all my data will come back.
    (87GB of music) among other things

dont want the hastle of re ripping all my cd collection.

As long as you didn't alter the file system or attempt to format the HD all your data will still be on it.

Nearly all delivered yesterday.
    have spent all day today and a few hours yesterday trying to find out what has happened to the case!!
    Verry unhappy camper!!!:mad:
    they say i will have to wait 21 days before they will issue a refund.
    Starting to calm down a bit now.:cool:
    (end of rant )for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I have the Sonata II, the psu is plenty powerfull enough as its a top quality 450W PSU. Im running 6600, 2GB 6400, X1950XTX, Raptor, 2nd Sata e.t.c. ...

However its a bit cramped for building in but that won't bother you too much when its all built. Its reasonably quiet with fair temps. I didn't bother with the supplied wind tunnel as my temps were OK.

All up and running smoothly.
    Overclockers came through in the end. so didnt have to wait the three weeks :D
    one thing i missed was only 1 ide connector on mobo.
    new one is not a prob as it is sata. (have clean install of xp on this)
    so now have 2 drives with nothing to plug into. ( have dvd going through ide )
    can i use the slave ide for one of the hard drives ? photos and stuff.

i have a ide to serial connector but with it attached the hard drive wont fit into the case.:(

Yes you can use the IDE drive with the slave IDE port.

As for the other issue you can tackle it in a variety of ways though the most simple & clean method to me would be to get a SATA DVD drive thereby freeing up the IDE connector so both spare IDE drives can be used on the built in IDE controller.

You also don't contribute to cable clutter and have just one cable for IDE devices.

Alternate methods are use a 5.25 mounting kit which should allow you to install the second HD in the case with the SATA adapter installed.

Or get a PCI IDE controller and plug the hard drives into that.

Advertisement