Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touchscreen project (old epos till)

Options
  • 05-02-2007 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine just gave me an old 15" touchscreen epos system (or more accurately a P.O.S. MMX 200 with 3Gb 2.5" drive running W98)
    smdc0349pk7.th.jpg
    I'd like to hang it (and preferably recase it into something more 'picture frame' size) on the wall in the living room to give me a touchscreen to access or control my main PC. The idea is that it would allow me to play mp3s/internet radio.

There are a few challenges to this.

1. No sound card :D
    2. Only ethernet ports (8 of em!!) and 2 PS/2 ports plus vga and parrallel port - NO USB/PCMCIA on anything else of use.
    3. It's noisy as hell
    4. No slots on the motherboard
    5. 5v going to the 200Mhz chip so not too many upgrade options

Plus points, 64MB of Ram onboard, nice big touchscreen, CDrom and floppy drives.

Any ideas for either salvaging the touchscreen and modding my old P111 laptop, or getting and external soundcard of some description to work with this? Or is it skipbound?

smdc0355se0.th.jpg
    Box standard noisy processor fan - any ideas for silent solution ??
    smdc0354on3.th.jpg
    Subassembly showing ethernet ports
    smdc0350dv4.th.jpg
    Touch screen plugs into motherboard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

For undergoing a project like this, all i can say is you have cahones the size of watermellons...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

i'd say the only thing salvagable from that is the touchscreen and maybe the HDD (I personally wouldn't keep it) Might make an interesting miniITX rebuild.

Advertisement