Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Sabbatical Elections

Options
  • 05-02-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

The official list of whos running. Deadlines for nomination are closed, this is the official list, not rumour

President

COLFER, Barry (Welfare VP / BBLS)

Deputy President Vice President

BOND, Chris (2nd Arts)
    BRENNAN, Ciara (Final BCL)

Education Vice President

LYNAM, Paul (2nd Social Science)
    REGAN, John (3rd Arts)
    SHANAHAN, Ronan (3rd BBLS)

Welfare Vice President

BYRNE, Colm (3rd Medicine)
    RATH, Vivian (4th Science)
    RUSHE, Carol-Anne (2nd Arts International)

Entertainments Vice President

GREENE, Laura (3rd Arts)
    MALLON, Peter (3rd Arts)
    Ó DUINN, Eoghan (3rd Commerce)
    QUINLIVAN, Stephen (BBLS)

Best of luck to all who are running, anybody know who Laura Greene or Peter
    MALLON are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Laura Greene, iirc, is an Entsy type who's really good friends with Holly I believe.

Cad a tharla to your own personal aspirations, Kaptain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

why did you pull out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Because he knew he would have lost..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Chakar wrote:
    Because he knew he would have lost..
    Now that is bang out of order until he gets a chance to explain first and you know it.

Now that is bang out of order until he gets a chance to explain first and you know it.

Just my two cents

Okay sorry I know I shouldn't have said it but it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

so this barry colfer chap wins by default due to no opposition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Actually, its not bang out of order.

If you were asking a personal question to Kaptain Redeye, the proper forum is Private Messages. By asking in a public forum you are opening it up to discussion.

With all respect to Kaptain Redeye, Chakar is right. Colfer was an easy win against anybody. JHJ was planning on running afaik and didn't and I'm sure plenty of electable candidates were put off by Colfer's overwhelming support.

While Kaptain Redeye may have personal reasons for not running, it is fair for Chakar to make that comment. Tasteless yes, out of order, I don't think so.

And so ends my rather pointless argument...
    so this barry colfer chap wins by default due to no opposition?

DE FAULT ....the two greatest words in the English language!!

But seriously....you can vote RON?

Yeah you can vote RON for ReOpen Nominations.

Barry has pretty much won President all he'll have to do is put up his posters and make lecture addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Chalker - feel free to ask anybody that I ever talked to in real life about my planned campaign. I said all the way back at class rep training that if I ran it would be a two horse race between me and Colfer. I never for a second believed he wouldn't run. the opposition or fear of losing wasnt a deciding factor.

I didnt accidentally forget to mention that I wasnt running, but since people are going to draw their own conclusions whether I comment or not I might as well share with the class.

To answer the question why Im not running I think Id first have to explain why I wanted to run.

A)That I disliked the way the union was run.
    • I never thought it represented my views on issues,
    • I felt there is a definite clique about it,
    • and that the actual running of it is ineffective, inefficient and often the president as Dan Hayden put it about himself at one council last year hasnt a clue how to run an organisation of its scale.

This is my first year to ever get involved in the SU (I couldnt have even named the pres last year) and after the few months I have attended council etc I can see that I wouldnt enjoy the job. I really hate the political ambitions, the superiority complex, the bitterness and pettyness.

Im a jazz society playa, dutch soc mofo, and frisbee muppet. I dont the SU atmosphere, its a STUDENTS union for crying out loud.

B) I really really liked college life. And I wanted any excuse to stay here.

Thats changed.

A death close to home made me re-evaluate my life style and goals.
    Im in a serious relationship at the moment, one I couldnt compare to anything previous.
    Ive a job offer I never expected to have in Geneva
    All my friends will by next year have graduated or be abroad on erasmus.

I really dont have a lot of motivation to stay in college. I didnt want to position to help my career and I dont think it would.

I think Ive gotten the college experience.
    Drink, drugs, sex, parties, travel, poverty, idealism, cynicism, laziness, the list goes on.
    Richard Butler says he thinks Ive some sort of record for the amount of society events I go to.

But Im tired of the Dutch Society, I dont go out just to get drunk any more, and was never really into drugs.
    Im tired of my flat being messy, of not getting any sleep, of my elevator smelling like puke.
    Im tired of being poor. Im 7 grand in debt and without trying to be arrogant, I can do a lot better than a sabbats salary.

Ive enjoyed my time in college, but over the xmas break it slowly dawned on me that its time I venture out into the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

he doesnt even have to do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

To be honest, its a dissapointing day when Presidential Elections are uncontested. Nobody should just be ceded the presidency on the grounds that he/she is "going to win anyway". A good campaign could always cause trouble provided that the incumbent sabbatt is slightly complacent. Its a sad day when people feel the need a year in another position to become president

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Chakar wrote:
    Just my two cents

Okay sorry I know I shouldn't have said it but it is true.
    You actually put a smile on my face Chalker, your attempt at humour backfired slightly - and what I find funny is that you appologise for being tastless in such a tasteless way.
    Het Field wrote:
    To be honest, its a dissapointing day when Presidential Elections are uncontested. Nobody should just be ceded the presidency on the grounds that he/she is "going to win anyway"
    Ive said many times I have no respect for the likes of Brian Doyle (and many others) who said that they wouldnt run for pres against barry for that reason.

I think that Barry has some fatal flaws (though Im not a begrudger and wont be running any RON campaign :p ) that a lot of students would find unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Trinity's elections are highly contested, and as a result the likes of David Quinn, John Mannion, and Francis Kiernan have proved quite popular. This year im sure it is going to be highly contested. Personality and prestiege should not necessairly prevail. Just because somebody is a sabbatt does not mean give them the divine right to hold onto that position or move up to the presidency.

Christian Hughes was unable to retain his position as deputy president in 2002, while Abey didnt prevail in the election of 2003 in spite of his election to the Education suite in 2002. Nowdays it seems people just have to get elected to a lesser office to guarantee the presidency a year later. However, this may bite a union in the ass someday. This meaning that a terribly inept sabbat will run for the union presidency and run it into the ground.

Options are key, and it really isnt a good enough to assume that people will win

Het-Field wrote:
    Trinity's elections are highly contested, and as a result the likes of David Quinn, John Mannion, and Francis Kiernan have proved quite popular. This year im sure it is going to be highly contested.

Last year, in fact, was probably the least contested in the past while. There were 3 races which only had one person running a 'proper' election campaign (Deputy President, Education, Welfare). President and Ents was quite contested, but I'd hardly use Trinity as a benchmark when talking about elections.

And I find it strange to hear speak of David Quinn as popular, but that's an idea for another thread.

Remember, sometimes if there's contested elections you might have the option of voting for a turd sandwich or a giant douche, nothing more, nothing less*. Well, and RON.

South Park reference, if some people don't get it.

Well the best of luck with the old exams Paddy.

Geneva will be nice I've been there a few times its a lovely city especially the towns outside Geneva.

Obviously I wasn't privy to the information that Paddy posted on this thread before I made my post.I admit it was very insensitive of me.

Oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

Het-Field wrote:
    To be honest, its a dissapointing day when Presidential Elections are uncontested. Nobody should just be ceded the presidency on the grounds that he/she is "going to win anyway". A good campaign could always cause trouble provided that the incumbent sabbatt is slightly complacent. Its a sad day when people feel the need a year in another position to become president

Remember the President of Ireland was elected that way. A slightly more important position than that of UCD SU President... although the way so one these boards go about it;)

What I find amazing is that the someone could be regarded as being that popular and that much of a shoe-in when much of the student body couldn't name a member of this year exec. never mind name an incidence when the SU made a direct and positive impact on their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Waste of time me thinks. Everyone goes into it thinking "I don't like the way the union is run, I'm gonna change it" and do they NO. All I can say is it'll be a more peaceful council next year with so many lefties graduating!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry to hear that Podge.

Chakar strikes again, eh. :o

Het-Field, I'm sorry, but I find myself unable to understand what Trinity has to do with this year's UCDSU Sabbatical elections. Then again, lots of things seem to have little to do with the realities of the job involved, as far as I can see. As for it being a sad day when people need a year in another position before they feel they'll be eligible to run for Presidency of the Union, that by no means guarantees them the position (unless they're Colfer, as I can't see anyone mounting a strong enough RON campaign against him for it to win), does it?

Laura Greene, afaik, was a "journo/hack" for the Trib as a fresher and accused me and mine of stealing her stapler. :p Said stapler was never recovered. Nor did she. She also edited the B&L Mag last year, iirc. I think that's who she is anyway. As for Mallon, the name sounds familiar, but then again there's a brand of sausages called Mallons. (You can leave the job, but it never leaves you. :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Laura Greene. Holly Irivine mark II?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Blush_01 wrote:
    As for Mallon, the name sounds familiar, but then again there's a brand of sausages called Mallons. (You can leave the job, but it never leaves you. :( )

I know that name. Think he used to be a friend of a friend. Was he in Clongowes or somewhere like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Pythia wrote:
    Was he in Clongowes or somewhere like that?

I'm sure I heard someone mention something to that effect alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Yea Mallon was in Clongowes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Panda's voting

President
    Barry should do a good job for pres.
    Deputy
    Ciara Brennan will do excellent job as deputy. Girl power!
    Welfare
    Colm Byrne without a doubt.Excellent pro and has huge experience from his course and union involvment. But I serioulsy doubt wether he will run due to his course.
    If Colm doesnt run then I hope Vivian Rath wins as he is the best candidate for the job
    Education
    I cant comment on Ronan Shanahan as I dont know anything about him. I really like the two other candidates and think they'll both do a great job. I would vote Paul Lynam over John Regan though as I feel he has more experience from his position as arts pro,he's very approachable and has a good head on his shoulders
    Ents
    Stephen Quinlivan ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Vote....................

104058446_43fa7f8a1b_o.jpg
    RON
    for Everything!

as this bunch will be another lot who will lie, cheat and steal with bullshit manifestos like all the candidates before them have done in every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ill keep mine secret... im not stupid enough to post my allegiences on a public forum :p

Byrne is gone

valor wrote:
    Byrne is gone

Do elaborate.

He is not running anymore

valor wrote:
    He is not running anymore

Are you sure because just the other day I saw the SU designer doing up his manifesto.

Are you in the Students Union? Give me a hint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's true Conor. Deal with it.

Advertisement