Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Sabbatical Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Chakar wrote:
    I understand your point but I don't agree with John.John hasn't even met him! :confused:
    Seriously, who is John?

Stop using people's real names, especially if you're not directly quoting them. Its ridiculously cliquey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

me, me, me, me I'm John. Though panda even calls me humbert in in real life so I was surprised!!

not that I mind :)

Does exclude everyone that doesn't know my name though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Has anybody else noticed how much obvious photoshopping of the candidates posters there is?
    Theres definite teeth whitening, mole removing, blemish removal, eye size increased [15% if my sourses are correct] and all sorts going on [and then of course theres the blatant photo recycling form last years elections] you'd swear it was some sort of shallow popularity contest or something.
    I think I'm going to vote for whoever is the hottest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Scraggs wrote:
    I think I'm going to vote for whoever is the hottest...

So your voting RON then?

John Regans teeth blind me everytime I walk down the concourse....go easy on the colgate whitening man. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Here's the link to all the sabbatical election candidates manifestoes.

http://www.ucdsu.net/manifestos.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

at the end of the day is a paid year out of college to sit around and do F*uck all!!
    is it possible to get manifestos from last year and see did any of the hackers actually deliver on them....

tintinr35 wrote:
    at the end of the day is a paid year out of college to sit around and do F*uck all!!
    is it possible to get manifestos from last year and see did any of the hackers actually deliver on them....

That would be interesting, I think they should have to give some of the wage back if they've done fuck all they said they would :)

I notice we're still being screwed on the price of sauce and butter and jam in the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

earlie before i said i dont who to vote for.
    also i said i didnt have involvement in interviewing people.
    all of which have changed today.

havent interviewed viv yet but prob vote him.

ents prob the the guy stating with Q. cause he sounds like he has experience. allthough laura is very nice so who knows?

education. that shanahon(sp?) talks about helping deslexia. so thats a pro. put paul seems like a guy who can deviler what he says. so i dont yet. so far paul cause he gets extra points for honesty. but if that other guy can actually get support for people with deslexia, that would be better, but i'm doubtfull.
    no offence to john regan, but to qoute the great and legandary paddy carrol(even though not in YFG) auditor of young PD'S, "John Regan seems like a stereotypical Fianna Fail doush".

i would say ciara can do the job. barry deffo can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

tintinr35 wrote:

No they did sweet f all

Here's a link to them that I (big lose bag that I am) stuck up

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/ucdsu06manifestos/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Dontico wrote:
    education that shanahon(sp?) talks about helping deslexia. so thats a pro... but if that other guy can actually get support for people with deslexia, that would be better, but i'm doubtfull.
    If you had dyslexia do you think it would be hard or easy to read his manifesto? I'm sorry but the way he says that I think is just so humurous. Firstly he insists on a particular size font for UCD internet sites, but UCD don't control the font size-its something you can set on the computer when you turn it on (hit Ctrl and roll the ball in the middle of the mouse//use the scroll up and down button on the laptop). Then secondly he uses a TINY font in his manifesto which is surrounded by a lot of black. I find this hard to read and I've perfect vision and ain't dyslexic. And he insists on a particular font (something beginning with a T) because its easier for dyslexic people to read but then uses the comic style

If he can't make his own manifesto legible to dyslexic people then what chance does he have in fulfilling these obligations and promises?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

gubbie wrote:
    No they did sweet f all

Here's a link to them that I (big lose bag that I am) stuck up

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/ucdsu06manifestos/

LOL at some of those manifestos. In a couple of cases, I literally couldn't find a single promise that has been followed through on. I'll leave ya to figure out which ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Probably something for another thread, but what was actually followed through on in those manifestoes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Vainglory wrote:
    LOL at some of those manifestos. In a couple of cases, I literally couldn't find a single promise that has been followed through on. I'll leave ya to figure out which ones.

I proper LOLZD big time a few weeks ago when I found Dan Hayden's manifesto buried in a pile of magazines and stuff in my room. Its such a fantastic read ;)

I'd like to see something along the lines of that elected candidates must have implemented and acted on at least 75% of their promises or they lose their annual wage. Don't ask me how on earth that can be implemented but it might detract the bull****ters and CV chasers.... we can always dream :)

Anyway, does anyone know why the manifestos have vanished from the lecture theatres in the Orts block? There were loads on Tuesday and now they seem to be nowhere?

has annyone read john regans idea of the plasma screens? plain silly.

has annyone read john regans idea of the plasma screens? plain silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Johnny Arson, just to answer your question, Arts Services are not allowing manifestos to be put in the Arts lecture theatres anymore.

They never really did allow it, but we usually got around it somehow.

You just need someone from your campaign team watching the lecture theatres like a hawk to see if they start cleaning them, and then run in and grab up all your manifestos before they are binned.

No stands until today, no manifestos in lecture theatres, two unopposed elections, unopposed presidency, reading week for loads of people next week....My prediction is for the lowest turnout in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Vainglory wrote:
    My prediction is for the lowest turnout in years.

Yeah it will be, an underactive union, and a general lack of buzz + Barry being uncontested, I'm gonna guess between 3200 and 3600 of a turnout

dajaffa wrote:
    Yeah it will be, an underactive union, and a general lack of buzz + Barry being uncontested, I'm gonna guess between 3200 and 3600 of a turnout

Yep, maybe it's because I've been fully involved in every sabbatical election since I arrived in college and this is the first time I'm 100% uninvolved - but there definitely seemed to me that there was more of a buzz around the elections in previous years.

Maybe someone who has never been involved in any of them could give their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Vainglory wrote:
    Yep, maybe it's because I've been fully involved in every sabbatical election since I arrived in college and this is the first time I'm 100% uninvolved - but there definitely seemed to me that there was more of a buzz around the elections in previous years.

Maybe someone who has never been involved in any of them could give their opinion.

Ive never been involved and yes there is a definite decrease in the buzz about the place. I think its because they dont have their desks by Th L anymore, its a much more central location. There used to be a lot more hype.

Was talking Paul Lyman today, final year so I dont really care who wins but he seems nice enough. We had a good chat with him, we told him straight off we're final years probably wont vote but he still sat down to chat and we had a good discussion bout things. If Im around the day of voting whenever it is I may just vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Villaricos wrote:
    Ive never been involved and yes there is a definite decrease in the buzz about the place. I think its because they dont have their desks by Th L anymore, its a much more central location. There used to be a lot more hype.

Personally I never saw it as a 'buzz' .Just a load of noise,nuisance and mayhem. I think the lack of 'buzz' is a good thing as hopefully genuinly good people will get elected and not those who have the loudest/largest campaign team.
    Vainglory wrote:

Couldnt imagine being involved in sabbatical elections all throughout college.Im glad I only got invoved recently. I think I would have got a real bad image of univeristy life as the eletions are just full of careerist,backstabbing people who id rather stay well away from. Some of those people who hang around the union for too long espscially the lads need to go play a sport or something and get out of their union/political bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

panda100 wrote:
    Personally I never saw it as a 'buzz' .Just a load of noise,nuisance and mayhem. I think the lack of 'buzz' is a good thing as hopefully genuinly good people will get elected and not those who have the loudest/largest campaign team.

well yes have to agree with you there. I didnt mean 'buzz' as a good thing really. tbh I lost interest in the SU elections when that dude running in my first year promised a swimming pool, then confessed there was no way he could it... I became very disillusioned with it all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

It looks like there WILL be hospital polling stations in Vincents + the Mater, Wootage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

YAY! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah finally, must go inform the masses....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dontico wrote:
    earlie before i said i dont who to vote for.
    also i said i didnt have involvement in interviewing people.
    all of which have changed today.

havent interviewed viv yet but prob vote him.

ents prob the the guy stating with Q. cause he sounds like he has experience. allthough laura is very nice so who knows?

education. that shanahon(sp?) talks about helping deslexia. so thats a pro. put paul seems like a guy who can deviler what he says. so i dont yet. so far paul cause he gets extra points for honesty. but if that other guy can actually get support for people with deslexia, that would be better, but i'm doubtfull.
    no offence to john regan, but to qoute the great and legandary paddy carrol(even though not in YFG) auditor of young PD'S, "John Regan seems like a stereotypical Fianna Fail doush".

i would say ciara can do the job. barry deffo can.

I would like to point out that I do not use the word douche. Furthermore, I would like you to refresh my memory as to when I ever said that ? I think somebody is making something up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Johnny Arson, just to answer your question, Arts Services are not allowing manifestos to be put in the Arts lecture theatres anymore.

thats a bit of a sucker for the candidates alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Yeah its a royal pain in the ass, and theres no harm in it IMO. All the campaign teams put them out early in the morning and collect them in the evening, and we're very thorough with collecting them all, as all teams only have a certain number of them allowed- so we need to recycle all of them for use the next day. Also, littering the campus is frowned upon!

Youd be surprised how many people have a look through the manifestos when theyre in a lecture, so the fact that we cant put them in Arts theaters is a bit of a blow to all concerned!

Also, thats great news about the polling stations in the hospitals, not having them would be an absolute farce!!!

Youd be surprised how many people have a look through the manifestos when theyre in a lecture

May have answered your own question there. Multicoloured posters all over the walls of a lecture theatre is at the very least an unnecessary distraction. Besides I'm sick to death have to look at these peoples faces all around campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

all I have to say is that the photo I took of Ronan Shanahan for his poster and manifesto is much better than the photos of the other guys... I can't remember one guys name but when you see his poster all you think of is TEETH

Advertisement