Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Sabbatical Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I just can't believe we put in so much ass of an effort into these things. Its only student politics. And look at how professional ours look compared to the good old UCC ones... at least the UCC one's are somewhat inventive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

mloc wrote:
    all I have to say is that the photo I took of Ronan Shanahan for his poster and manifesto is much better than the photos of the other guys... I can't remember one guys name but when you see his poster all you think of is TEETH

Yeah you did a good job with the photo.I think that you're talking about John Regan's poster.

gubbie wrote:
    I just can't believe we put in so much ass of an effort into these things. Its only student politics. And look at how professional ours look compared to the good old UCC ones... at least the UCC one's are somewhat inventive

This years TCD ones are here: http://www.tcdsulive.org/elections. Clicking on the posters will bring you to the manifestoes, but watch out as they are quite large in size (i.e. some are 2MB or so). Better to right click and down 'em.

Having examined the manifestoes of the candidates and if I was a Trinity student I would vote for..

President: Andrew Byrne
    Deputy President: Neasa McGarrigle
    Education: Neil McGough
    Welfare: Una Faulkner
    Ents: Barry Keane

And Yes to the Coca-Cola referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

gubbie wrote:

You know what's odd about those, I know Aidan Healy...... and welfare????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

Het-Field wrote:
    I would like to point out that I do not use the word douche. Furthermore, I would like you to refresh my memory as to when I ever said that ? I think somebody is making something up

at the gay pride march going through the science block, when we were walking by the john regan stand.

And of course I would vote for the Irish Flag referendum, its a great initiative by TCDSU.

I hope Trinity agree to fly the flag, it would be great to come into town and see it flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

As of now, I intend to vote:

President:
    RON
    Colfer

Deputy President
    Ciara Brennan

Education
    Lynham
    Regan
    RON
    Shanahan

Welfare:
    Rushe
    Rath
    (Tempted to RON them both)

Entertainments:
    Greene
    Quinlivan
    Mallon

These are all subject to change, especially Ents. I have to say, I am deeply unimpressed with the crop of candidates this year. Out of the four contenders that have dropped out, 3 would have secured my vote. In both Welfare, and Entertainments, we have been left with the dregs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'll be voting Rath, Quinlivan and Shanahan.

I know Viv (Rath) personally, and he's my class rep, I genuinely doubt anyone could do a better job of actually getting things done and pushing things through. The guy has balls to burn and is exactly what's needed in welfare at the moment.

Steve (Quinlivan) seems to me to be miles ahead of the other candidates. He's the only one with any real experience in the entertainment world, and poor Laura Greene is doing herself no favours, in my opinion, by associating herself with the utter disaster of an Ents officer we had this year. As for Mallon, his ideas on his manifesto sound great. Pity they're generally totally unrealistic and seeing as he's more or less unheard of, lacks the essential connections in the ents world to get stuff done.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I'll be voting RON in pretty much everything primarily because most of the candidates are members or are ex-members of the KBC or some other Fianna Fail organisation. It's just one of my principles not to vote for anything or anyone that is linked to Fianna Fail. It really shows the lack of choice this year, which is saddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

from me;

President:
    Colfer

Deputy President
    Ciara Brennan

Education
    Regan

Welfare:
    Rath

Entertainments:
    Quinlivan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'll vote for whoever will make my dreams of getting my MRS. easier to attain.

Looks like that's none of them.:D

Boo for them, eh? ;)

mloc wrote:

I know Viv (Rath) personally, and he's my class rep, I genuinely doubt anyone could do a better job of actually getting things done and pushing things through. The guy has balls to burn and is exactly what's needed in welfare at the moment.

Steve (Quinlivan) seems to me to be miles ahead of the other candidates. He's the only one with any real experience in the entertainment world, and poor Laura Greene is doing herself no favours, in my opinion, by associating herself with the utter disaster of an Ents officer we had this year. As for Mallon, his ideas on his manifesto sound great. Pity they're generally totally unrealistic and seeing as he's more or less unheard of, lacks the essential connections in the ents world to get stuff done.

Funnily enough the "utter disaster of an Ents officer we had this year" was sitting at Quinlivan's table the other night. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

mloc wrote:
    I know Viv (Rath) personally, and he's my class rep.
    Viv is a class rep?:eek: .
    I've seen at council once or twice, but I thought that he had just tagged along, because he used to be Disability Officer. I nevver realised that he was meant to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I've seen at council once or twice, but I thought that he had just tagged along, because he used to be Disability Officer. I nevver realised that he was meant to be there.

He's been my class rep for the last 2 if not 3 years, and AFAIK sits on the science programme board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Seems Minister has never met anyone from 4th year Science. You'd understand why he's so rarely at council if you knew how snowed under with work those guys are!!

Also I'd like to hear reasons from those who have offered their voting preferences. Some of ye have given them but could those that haven't please indulge my curiousity a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If we're talking about people who dont go to council running for elections then surely Carol Anne Rushe is the main offender.
    Not one report from or sighting of the womens officer till the week before the election nominations (how suprising) and It was just some crappy piece of A4 paper with two events on it.

Does anyone know when the hustings are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I think I'm going to make the effort to vote despite not being around next year just to vote RON. I have no problem with Barry Colfer per se, I just think it's ridiculous he's running unopposed. Same goes for Ciara Brennan but not to the same extent!

I'n undecided for the order I'll put people in for others, apart from RON going first, though I may not put any other preferences. RON all the way. I wish someone had run a proper vote RON campaign. It would've been kind of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Are hustings over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Vainglory wrote:
    Are hustings over?

Nah there on tommorow in arts at one I fink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

panda100 wrote:
    Nah there on tommorow in arts at one I fink.

There's no hustings this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Scraggs wrote:
    Has anybody else noticed how much obvious photoshopping of the candidates posters there is?
    Theres definite teeth whitening, mole removing, blemish removal, eye size increased [15% if my sourses are correct] and all sorts going on [and then of course theres the blatant photo recycling form last years elections] you'd swear it was some sort of shallow popularity contest or something.
    I think I'm going to vote for whoever is the hottest...

Was in the forum bar today and Laura Greene was dropping around flyers soliciting votes - one of my friends looked at the flyer and then at Laura and asked was she campaigning for her friend :rolleyes:

Was chatting with her for a bit, as she asked why I wouldn't be voting for her, and she seemed really nice and is certainly the person putting the most effort into the advertising etc... however, my opinion of her as wholly incapable for the ents position hasn't changed since the belfield FM interview up on youtube. Pity, as she seems a lot more approachable than Holly. Quinlavins getting my vote in any case, his experience and the fact that he's a year ahead of the other two being the deciding factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ElCapitano

mloc wrote:

Steve is the best candidate out there but dont fool yourself, he also associates himself with "he utter disaster of an Ents officer we had this year."

They ran some Xmas exam parties together are constantly seen together. He played more of a role in Ents this year than you know.

Sick of hearing,"Steve brought in Erol Alkin and Justice with just a society budget, imagine what he'll do with the Ents budget".

At the end of the day, he did have access to the Ents budget for both of these events, and while they may have "shared the cost" as he says Id be pretty sure that if you look where the revenue went from these nights, it went into the BnL account.

Also by doing a joint event with Ents he would have run all the VAT through the students union account saving another 21%, which societies normally have to pay.

At the end of the day it shows extreme weakness from the Ents office to rely on doing so many events with the BnL. Surely they should be able to pull these off on their own without the help of a relatively small society.

Its ridiculous, I mean what are we going to see next, the Ents / BnL UCD Ball? (if there'll even be one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

dajaffa wrote:
    There's no hustings this year...

Nah I think Panda is right! I'm pretty certain I saw a poster saying hustings is on at 1pm Tuesday in one of Arts lecture theatres... think it was ThM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Nah I think Panda is right! I'm pretty certain I saw a poster saying hustings is on at 1pm Tuesday in one of Arts lecture theatres... think it was ThM.

I'm afraid thats not happening. Basically the Returning Officer isn't a fan of hustings. He said if the candidates really wanted there' be one, most didn't want them so there was to be none. Dave Curran tried to organise them (thats the posters you would have seen) but constitutionally the Returning Officer has to chair them + he wasn't willing to do so after most candidates said they didn't want them.

Personally I'd love them to be on, a great way to grill candidates about the BS in their manifestos, oh welll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

http://ctn.buildontech.com/content/view/44/32/

here is some of ctn's coverage of the elections. but not all are up yet. dont know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

dajaffa wrote:
    I'm afraid thats not happening. Basically the Returning Officer isn't a fan of hustings. He said if the candidates really wanted there' be one, most didn't want them so there was to be none.

What a load of bs. Who cares about what the canditates want. Shouldn't what's best for the electorate be on the agenda?

Essentially we're choosing people for jobs. Why should we give someone a job without interviewing them first? Because it's too much hassle for Shelley to sit there for an hour? I understand it's a very busy day, but I don't accept that the candidates should be allowed to pick and choose which parts of the process suit them. As far as I'm concerned, Hustings is as much a part of the election process as the canvassing they're allowed to do. Why should we have to listen to what they want to tell us without the opportunity to question them in the presence of their peers? Utter cóck.

For what it's worth, in light of Quinlivan's treatment of his peers on the campaign I have very little respect for him and he definitely will not get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ok, I'm no expert on hustings, as a matter of fact I really even dislike the word, hustings, but I can't imagine it being anything other than a big(small) hackfest.

• Advertisement

Hackfest or not, I was going to contemplate going and then stay in bed instead (that's the Arts student way! ;)), as it'll be my last one in UCD. I've never been before and now it's not on. :(

Advertisement