Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken wrist :(

Options
  • 05-02-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hey guys, I think I'm after breaking a bone in my wrist, I got it x-rayed and put in a cast but because of the bone they think is broken, they cant be sure if its actually broken till about 1-2 weeks after the accident...

But basically if I have broken that bone (scaphoid bone) I might still be in a cast during the lc. I've been googling the break and have seen that it can take 6-12 months to heal (and thus take off the cast)...

So what happens if I'm still in a cast and cant write for my lc? also if I get a writer or something like that, what happens with things like music/art practical???

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Omigod, thats terrible! i dont actually know what ul have to do, i kno u definately can get someone to do the writing for you, but as for practical subjects go i have no idea. surely, there must be something, this must have happened to people in the past before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

*Resists temptation to ask how you broke it...*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

most broken wrists heal within 6-8 weeks. (although it may be different for you)
    the state exams commission have a very good system for accomodation for people like yourself. the most likely thing to happen will be:
    1. you may be given an extra 20 minutes to complete your exam. these 20 minutes allow you to rest your wrist and leave the centre(under supervision) to rest.

2. a scribe may be given to you. im not sure how this works but basically they do all the writing for you

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

2. a scribe may be given to you. im not sure how this works but basically they do all the writing for you
    It would only be humane to do this. It would be the easiest solution tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

hey thanks guys!

was speaking with the principal today and he didnt know what to say! but he's finding out for our meeting tomorrow!

as for the healing end of it, i didn't just break my wrist, its a tiny bone that all you blood vessels flow through and its designed not to be broken lol... it actually takes twice the force to break this one than it does your forearm! and thus, takes longer than the normal 6-8 weeks...

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw021.htm

that shows how its a little different from breaking the main wrist bone... lol *worried now*

• Advertisement

Would be handy if tiny bones that all your blood vessels in your wrist flow through came up in Biology though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Get practicing with your weak hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

sickner for your about missing the pres............
    but im in jc so i would love this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 diamonds&cream

A scribe can be assigned to you or a break of 20 minutes to allow you to rest can be applied for (if you don not take a break you can't work for the extra 20 minutes - as it is a rest period it cannot be used as extra time)

If you take any of the reasonable accomodations you can opt to sit your exam in a supervised room alone or with others in similar circumstances to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

So....how'd you do it? :p

• Advertisement

Cool- I think a scribe would be my best bet... Do you get them for art practicals too? lol... An NCAD student-scribe maybe?... if only!

I was at the hospital today and they told me its deffo broken :( I'm in a fibreglass cast now, which has to stay on till its fully healed, which can take anything from 8-16 weeks... And if it's still not healed after 16 weeks then I have to have some sort of operation to get a pin put into it :(

Lol, I broke it last saturday night, acting like a prat... But basically I just tripped backwards and it snapped when I put my had out to save me!!

Dr.Louis wrote:
    Cool- I think a scribe would be my best bet... Do you get them for art practicals too? lol... An NCAD student-scribe maybe?... if only!

I was at the hospital today and they told me its deffo broken :( I'm in a fibreglass cast now, which has to stay on till its fully healed, which can take anything from 8-16 weeks... And if it's still not healed after 16 weeks then I have to have some sort of operation to get a pin put into it :(

Lol, I broke it last saturday night, acting like a prat... But basically I just tripped backwards and it snapped when I put my had out to save me!!
    Sure. That's what they all say.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

<moon>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

<moon>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

my friend fell and broke her arm during the exams when we were doin the junior cert and she ended up doin her last ones on tape and the teacher or whoever was supervisin did all the diagrams for her!

lol, crazy- do you think they'd let my art teacher paint my design paper for me lol? i could just tell him what to paint, like id tell a scribe what to write? ...if only

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A scribe (if you can be assigned one) is better than the tape.

With a scribe you can look over what they have written but it is not permitted to play back the tape.

I have corrected taped exams and they are a pain in the neck to be honest.

Advertisement