Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson = good phones?

• 05-02-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a new phone, and I don't want a flip top as my current one is, and after about 6 months it developed a loose connection, so it is very frustrating.

The phones I have been looking at mostly are the Sony Ericsson phones, they look nice and easy to use. I was looking at getting the k750i. Would anyone reccomend it, or have you any reasons not to buy this phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sony ericsson make great phones, buying any one of the current range and you'll be happy.

the only thing that's wrong - if you can say wrong - about the k750i is that's at this stage it's fairly oldish. the k610i phone (think that's the name) is it's replacement and it's also a great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I went from nokias to 6 series sony then 750 then w800 and now w810. excellent phones (cept the buggy w800) but when that worked it was great just crashed a lot. W810 is an excellent phone altho i paid $30 for mine its 240 or so on o2.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I would have no hesitation in recommending any of the SE range. I have the K800i and its a super phone with fantastic camera. Very easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

whats the verdict on the k8ooi ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Grand lump of a phone!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have had a lot of phones and the SE are my favourite.

I had a K750i, V630i (K600 from voda) and K800i and all are great phones.
    The K610/V630 from o2/voda are great value

Mik

K800i ftw:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Beware any Sony-Ericcson phone. The joysticks for scrolling up &down will go wonky after a while. I threw mine away:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well i have a V800 and it takes about 2 seconds to response sometimes.Is this happening to any current Sony Ericsson models?Also can someone tell me whats soo good about the K800 apart from the camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

well the v800 is a bad example cos it was crippled with vodafone software,put a z800 firmware into it and it will scream!
    after a long lines of nokia s60's,xda's and a palm treo...the k800i is the best ever..i was so suprised of whats it capable of!its fast,can multitask and some features that are so handy,a rss reader for example.it looks savage and has a lovely keypad with good feedback,se have changed the joystick design so touchwood it will hold up.
    the camera blows everything away,the flash actually works as a flash,one slight niggle is the vid recording resolution..its a bit small..well hey you cant have everything!
    i recommend this phone to anyone!hope this helps..by the way this post was written from a K800i running opera mini...a marriage made in heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Beware any Sony-Ericcson phone. The joysticks for scrolling up &down will go wonky after a while. I threw mine away:(

That's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of the K610im from O2: it does away with the flakey joystick. It's also a great phone, especially for the price.

As long as you stay away from Motorola you'll be grand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got a w810i myself, great features but I'm finding the call quality not as good as my old 6230 and at times, the UI is slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Got a K750i had for almost a year now - great phone has it all as long as you're not looking for gimmicky 3G sh1te - hoping to upgrade to the K800i soon for the 3.2mp camera - until the iPhone shows up that is - then all my loyalties go flying out the door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

KdjaCL wrote:
    I went from nokias to 6 series sony then 750 then w800 and now w810. excellent phones (cept the buggy w800) but when that worked it was great just crashed a lot. W810 is an excellent phone altho i paid $30 for mine its 240 or so on o2.

kdjac

I did a firmware update on my w800i and it has been flawless since then. I used to be a great fan of Nokias but I love the SE now as a fantastic all-in-one device. I even got a flash for it for the photos and connect it to my car steroe to play music from a 2gb card so I don't need to carry CD's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Take a look at this:-

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/sony-ericsson-k810i-same-32mp-cybershot-slimmer-form-234229.php

Sony are launching the K810i in Q2 this year. Wonder how long it will take any of the Irish mobile operators to make this available? Am thinking of getting a K800i in March when my contract is up. How long after launch does it typically take for phones to reach the Irish market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I love SE's but the joysticks as suspect. Get one without one such as the W810i or W850i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Got a K800i - amazing piece of kit, love it. Some bugs were ironed out after I did a firmware update.

Defo go for the K610i over the K750i though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I went from a 6680 to a K750i and its a great phone but I've now purchased a N73 cos I prefer Symbian.

If you're interested I might be putting my K750 up on adverts, but as people have said it's not really the 'current model'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

JDxtra wrote:
    Got a K800i - amazing piece of kit, love it. Some bugs were ironed out after I did a firmware update.

Defo go for the K610i over the K750i though...

not too sure about that, really depends on what you want from the phone.
    K750i has a better camera and has a light - very handy but had the joystick (never gave me any probs)
    V630/K610 software is a bit faster and it's newer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I have the w850i (i think its that one anyway), I absolutly love it. It never leaves my sight. It has absolutly everything I need and it came with a 1GB (yes, 1GB) memory card. I have had 4 SE phones, the only sh*te one i had was one I had about two years ago, F500i i think, but it was one of the first VGA cameras. They make great phones though.

Off-topic: If sony can put a 1GB memory card with the w850i, why did they only give a 32MB memory card with the PSP? Ah wel, no matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got the nokia 6280 myself cause of the video function and it doesnt have the one thing i hate about sony erricson phones. that bloody joystick! within a year the thing will give you jip, particularly if you play games on it (which i didnt by the way)

besides that theyre lovely phones and the only other model im interested in now besides the one ive got is the k800i. sony's video and picture function is the best out there, particularly the autofocus function. TBH its always been a toss for me between these two companies for my money cause theyre the best. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i love the k800i as far as im concerned its the best phone on the market at the moment,and its james bonds phone!
    the cameras great,the options and themes you can put on there are great,the ONLY gripe i have is that it should use sonys memory sticks that fit the k750i and psp because i have a 512mb one of those and i cant use it on the k800i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I will wholeheartedly recommend Sony Ericsson phones, they are rock-solid reliable and have fantastic call quality, even for their cheaper ones. I like the Nokia N-Series though, as I prefer the power and flexibility of Symbian for running loads of cool third-party apps like Opera and FExplorer. You can though, get Symbian based SE handsets, like the soon (hopefully) to be released SE W950i Walkman phone.

Advertisement