Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket 939 upgrade - what to go for?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Coming from a Athlon64 3000+, what is the best processor I should go for? Im looking at the following:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 + Socket 939, ManchesterCore, 2x 2.0GHz, 1MBCache
    £89

- AMD Opteron 165, 1.8GHz, Socket 939, 2MB, BOXED w/fan
    €160

- AMD Opteron 148, 2.2GHz, Socket 939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
    €95

I know the opteron overclocks well and Im up for giving that a go, but I have never tried it before, and Im not sure how well my motherboard will overclock (MSI K8N platinum). Is there a big difference between the 148 and 165? Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 165 is dual core so if you are planning on overclocking is probably the best choice. You can see some info on overclocking it here, the mobo should be okay for overclocking MSI removed the 250Mhz cap allegedly in a bios update so it goes up to 300Mhz.

Advertisement