Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal book to bring travelling

Options
  • 05-02-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

I'm going somewhere where there are going to be very few bookshops for a month and I'm curious to know what people would recommend to bring along. I'm thinking something dense that I won't fly through or else something that i could dip in and out of.
    Classics are probably best for that - Moby Dick is the best I can come up with - any ideas on what else might be good?

I'm going to bring another one or perhaps leave that if anyone has a better idea. Oh, it doesn't have to be about travel.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think that Roald Dahl's Unexpected Tales is a great book for dipping in and out of, though there is the temptation to read it all in one go.

It would certainly be a book I would dip in and out of while tackling a bigger novel. The stories are absolutely amazing and the twists are typically Dahlish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I brought Ulysses on a 3 week trip and it was perfect, it's the kind of book that deserves the sort of attention you can only give on a 6 hour train journey. Plus it will definitely last a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

War and Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

How about The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek? From Amazon "Hasek's most important work was centered around the deeply funny story of a hapless Czech soldier in the Austro-Hungarian army -- dismissed for incompetence only to be pressed into service by the Russians in World War I (where he is captured by his own troops). A mischief-maker, bohemian and drunk, Hasek demonstrated his wit in this classic novel of the Czech character and preposterous nature of war". Heller once said that he would never have wrote Catch 22 if he hadn't read this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well, first, what are your favourite five books? Knowing your taste would give you an idea of what to bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jonathon Norrell and Mr. Strange by Susanna Clarke.

Over 1,000 pages, written in Dickensian-like style and utterly absorbing (for me anyway :)).

Only problem is that if you have a lot of time on your hands you won't want to put it down and will keep reading.

The Pickwick papers by Charles Dickens is also very good. Complete works of Oscar Wilde is brilliant too. There are a lot of poems but if you don't like poetry there are also the plays, essays, letters and the novella, "The picture of Dorian Gray".

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

The Good Soldier - Nah, I was really disappointed by that book. You can really tell he got paid by the word for writing it. War and Peace - A mate of mine brought that to south america last year and has said its perfect - good but certainly not something you'd want to read in a few sittings. As for Uylsseus - It is perhaps a bit too dense and an irish traveller struggling through it wont impress anyone.

My favourite type of books are historical novels - J.G. Farrells empire triology are my absolute favourite i suppose. Feck it, war and peace and roald dahl some like a good combo. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

I meant Ulysses by the way - Oh, and apart from Farell, my next favourite two are The Heart of the Matter By Graham Greem and Hawksmoor by ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

A Notebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Reginald Perrin Omnibus 1,000 pages of nosensical comedy!

A Bill Bryson book

Chronicles of Narnia Omnibus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dianetics - l ron hubbard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Well considering you're travelling Jack Kerouac's "on the Road" is perfect. It celebrates the joys of travelling and as Kerouac says "the ragged and ecstatic joy of pure being" (?) and it's a classic. I brought it with me for a long trip and it just made me enjoy the experience more. It's that good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

How about A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth? Tis reeeally long, so you won't finish it too soon, but also quite easy to read (a little lighter than Ulysees anyway ;) )
    and has a really gripping storyline, so you shouldn't get bored.

Advertisement