Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRSA:"It is endemic in every hospital."

Options
  • 05-02-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

A close family member of mine got MRSA in a top Irish hospital about 8 years ago and that time nobody in the media was talking about and very few people knew what it was or how patients were getting it.

At that time I remember reading an article from Australia which stated that when hospital's there had MRSA infections they closed down the hospital's level by level until they were confident that the MRSA threat was gone, the thinking was you couldn't have a hospital being used by patients and get rid of the infection at the same time.

We are 8 years on and we are trying to get rid of MRSA from hospitals that are badly overcrowded and Harney was at cabinet for all of those 8 years, changing Ministers doesn't mean that the Government can excuse the issues, FF and PD's have had 10 years to make an impact on Health and Crime and they have FAILED.

BreakingNews.ie has the article below which Dr Maureen Lynch, a consultant microbiologist at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, said: “It is endemic in every hospital.” when she was talking about MRSA.

Full article:
    A father of five died from a deadly strain of the MRSA superbug which a medical expert today told an inquest is endemic in hospitals here.

Thomas Murdiff, 52, from Athboy in Co Meath, died on December 14, 2004 after he contracted the infection while in one of three hospitals.

Dr Maureen Lynch, a consultant microbiologist at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, said: “It is endemic in every hospital.”

MRSA is an antibiotic resistant superbug often acquired in hospitals and it can, if it gets into the bloodstream, prove fatal.

Almost 600 patients tested positive for MRSA bloodstream infections in Irish hospitals in 2005.

The inquest at Dublin City Coroner’s Court heard Mr Murdiff had been in three hospitals – the Mater Public Hospital, the Mater Private and Our Lady’s Hospital in Navan, Co Meath – in the eight months before his death for treatment for heart problems and diabetes.

The coroner said on the balance of probabilities it was likely he contracted MRSA while in hospital.

Dr Lynch said it was first detected when he was an outpatient and the hospital acquired strain can also be contracted in the community.

She said Mr Murdiff, an Evening Herald sports journalist, was a high risk patient due to his diabetes which left him with broken skin areas and his repeated admittance to hospitals.

The inquest heard 86% of people with it fit the case definition of acquiring it in hospital.

Dr Lynch also said MRSA was extremely common with about 30% of people carrying it in their nose or skin.

But she said 60% to 70% of people found to carry MRSA respond well to decolonisation treatment including baths and creams.

Mr Murdiff was tested for MRSA on four occasions after being admitted to the Mater public hospital in May 2004. All the swabs proved negative.

In July, a month after he was discharged, he tested positive and was treated successfully.

Mr Murdiff developed problems with another toe which had to be amputated by surgeons at the Mater private hospital. Prior to this further tests at the diabetes clinic at the public hospital showed MRSA had returned to the heel of his foot.

Ross Maguire, the family’s lawyer, said there was a genuine issue of public interest for a patient’s charts to be transferred when they move hospital.

“It is virtually impossible to eradicate MRSA from broken skin in people with underlying skin problems,” Dr Lynch said.

Dr Lynch also said the facilities for isolation were not there, and the Coroner Dr Brian Farrell agreed it was a question of resources.

The inquest heard he was discharged on December 2 and was admitted seven days later to Our Lady’s Hospital in Navan with a suspected chest infection. He was found to have MRSA and was transferred to the Mater where he died shortly before Christmas.

The coroner said he needed time to consider the verdict, adjourning the inquest until February 28.

Shame on FF and the PD's they have blood on their hands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My father had a stroke in April 2005, it was a serious one and he clung onto life for the following 8.5 months. During that time he contracted MRSA twice, considering lung infections and pneumonia took his life eventually; I think MRSA had a major hand in ending his life.

The hospital ward(s) were filthy, there weren't enough nurses to take care of the patients and the cleaners only could give the wards a quick once over because the wards were all full so couldn't be emptied.

This governments inaction has led to peoples death, unnecessary suffering for alot of others and additional strain on loved ones and family due to their incompetence & inability to deliver a service at a time when they had resources other Governments could only have dreamt of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Sorry hear about that, it is important for people, and indeed politicians also to remember that there are families on the end of this topic who have lost family members before they come out denying or avoiding the significance of this disease. We have the highest levels of MRSA in Europe, endemic is exactly the word.

There's a major RCSI study starting on in Beaumont at the moment using rapid tests for new admittances and a new method of cleaning the wards which is looking very good for reducing MRSA and VRE incidence. It will be interesting to see what happens with it.

Obviously this is of little comfort to anyone who has already been subjected to the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cross-infection has been a major issue for a lot of Irish hospitals since World War II. It's really only become a major issue now because of increased education (people are more confident to question consultants) and MRSA's resitance to drugs.

In the past, people would become infected, but the consultants would say nothing and prescribe antibiotics to clear it up. People didn't question the doctor's orders.

My maternal grandmother died when my mother was a child. The hospital informed my mother's family that she had died of complications arising out of childbirth, and that was it. The child had died in birth.
    It was only after my mum did some digging that it turned out her mother wasn't all that unwell after the birth, but was placed into a ward where three other post-natal women were dying after contracting dysentry after having their child. She contracted the disease and died too.

My girlfriend's grandfather died in the 90's. He contracted septicaemia after undergoing a routine operation.

I would hazard a guess that infections arising after after arriving into hospital are the biggest contributing factor to most deaths within the hospital system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well my parent got a relapse of MRSA again late last year and was admitted to Waterford General Hospital which was digustingly filthy I ended up cleaning the room and emptying bins when I visited and when I highlighted this to the staff I was fobbed off. I also highlighted that I had seen nurses attend to my parent and not wash their hands this was meant with a very angry response so after a lot of phone calls they were transferred to Cappagh where the care was much better and the room was a lot cleaner. There was an MRSA ward and everyone uses capes and washed their hands.(The ambulance cost €900!)

Its the basic things that we need addressed here, it doesn't take billions to clean hospitals or highlight the threat to patients, visitors and staff to ensure hand washing etc.

We do need overcrowding to be addressed and that will cost money but we have the money and I know there is more complex issues than simply building new beds but we have less beds now than we had in the 80's and we have a bigger population.

10 Years FF and the PD's have had to address these issues and MRSA is more of an issue now than it was then. 10 Years people and this government has failed to even contain the threat of MRSA, many people are coming out of hospitals worse off than they went in because of MRSA and if you ask a Government Minister why they haven't done something they will just waffle off figures about spending and increases in spending.

I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH THE GOVERNMENT HAS SPENT, THEY HAVE FAILED MY FAMILY AND MANY OTHERS.

Irish1 my mum died in a fully private hospital largely as a result of MRSA which she contracted whilst in there.
    I won't name the hospital,except to say you'd be surprised.
    There were several other patients in the same hospital that we were aware of that also had MRSA.
    My Dad also died of MRSA also in a private hospital.

I can't blame Mrs Harney for either.I can only wholy blame incompetent,almost wreckless staff members who didnt bother washing their hands,only half cleaned floors and used the same utensils to clean MRSA patients rooms as those who apparently didnt have it.
    This was not a resource issue, it was a pure "couldn't be bothered" attitude in my opinion.
    Ok the Doctors and the nurses did their very best medically but whats the point of that when basic rules that I can look up on the interweb were not followed.
    The care ,love and attention by the staff was mostly good with some exceptions,I won't fault that too much.

I fully accept that the situation (must be) much worse in public hospitals and I know from experience it is.
    BUT I reckon myself whats needed is a good kick in the arsé to those not doing their jobs properly.
    However, you have to get through the union garbage to sort that out as they would go mad at the very suggestion(I reckon ) of any fault for MRSA lying at their doorstep.
    And they do have the blame for much of it in my opinion.

That said,contract cleaning and corner cutting in hygene is an absolute bloody disgrace and that part should be where Mrs Harney is hauled over the coals.
    I doubt you'll ever get a nurses union to recognise that some hospital medical staff are lax when it comes to hygene,which creates a difficulty in policing the need for hygene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tristrame, you're actually wrong, as the acting head of the Health Service and Department of Health the buck stops with Mary Harney. She obviously cannot handle or fathom this department and she should have relinquished the Department when she realised she didn't have what it took to lead the PD's.

Oh I'm not disputing who the buck stops with,I'm just outlining how its not simple.I'm not making excuses for Mrs Harney either.
    I've no faith in any T.D from any party having the Gumption to tackle this issue properly.
    They'd upset a too cosy situation from what I can see.
    Politicians are all very good at talking about something but when they get into power,thats it, their salaries are secured for another 4.5 years and then they'll try to fool us into thinking they care for the 6 months prior to the election.

I've seen it all before.

*edit* In case I'm misunderstood-
    When I said that I can't blame Mrs Harney for either of my parents deaths,I meant that they died in hospitals run by the private sector with little or no public involvement and hospitals that had the best of facilities.
    The MRSA issue there was one of a total break down in the priority of clinical hygene.
    They had the place looking like the four seasons alright but thats no use if clinical hygene is not looked after.

Anyway I've made the point I wanted to make here and it wasnt a strictly political one.
    It was to do with the coal face problem of that shur it will do attitude that pervades hospital management.
    If I go on any further I'll only go into a rant and I'm not going there-besides ... etc.

Well after 10 years of failure I think someone else deserves a chance they can't be any worse for sure.

Oh I don't dispute your sentiments there.
    It's just that from experience,I think you could have 10 years of an alternative government and then be looking ironically back to this lot for to cure the next lots failures.

Call me cynical but personally I've long since rejected the possibility that we can attain utopia by musical political chairs.
    The only point I'd make on that is ,in my view it isn't healthy not to have change every now and again.

Mind you on the MRSA issue,I wouldn't call it failure,I'd call it a complete and total nothing done.
    Thats the problem-politicians that are in power are of the view that votes have to be bought and that these votes can't be bought by spending time on a creaking health service.
    They seem to be stuck on that record.

Well stop paying minimum wages to contract cleaners is one place to start, when it comes to MRSA the cleaners are more important than the doctors imo.

• Advertisement

Agreed.You'd have to train them too though and instill the importance in the cleaners and the rest of the medical staff(many already have this but it only takes one or two to make the mess) of clinical cleanliness.

You also need serious sanctions for shortcomings.I don't believe that there is or ever will be the political will to do this as it ruffles too many feathers.

There was a piece on the Late late show a forthnight ago and someone made a very good point and that was that there is more clinical cleaning procedures for visitors entering pig farms than Irish hospitals.It's crazy.

I would love to hear Mary Harney explain why hospitals are so dirty, I think the HSE need to recruit from outside the public sector for certain managment jobs, if the HSE was a company the managers would have their P45's by now including Harney.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tristrame wrote:
    I doubt you'll ever get a nurses union to recognise that some hospital medical staff are lax when it comes to hygene,which creates a difficulty in policing the need for hygene.

This, unfortunately, very true. There is a reality that if someone does go into hospital they will have a risk of contracting some other illness, I don't believe that this is avoidable in ward situtions there is always going to be a certain level of cross-infection due to the nature of the place (I've a friend who works in a hospital who recently contracted TB for instance). The thing is as much as we might whine about Mary Harney, the HSE etc, the people directly responsible for a lot of this are the front line staff in hospitals.

I would agree with Tristrame in that I don't believe that political musical chairs will magically solve this issue, and quite a few others in the health service, the change will have to come from those working in the health service and attitudes there will have to be shifted. If every nurse scrubbed their hands after touching a patient this would help but I know from both being in hospital and visiting others at them that this definitely does not happen. Some change can come from the top but I believe with the strenght of the unions that it would have limited effect in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't think the government can be made complete scapegoats for this. Sure, they're not responding to this fast enough, but this epidemic isn't confined to Ireland. It's also important to understand that MRSA is still a relatively new phenomenon. Not only that, but the rate of infection is increasing on a worldwide scale. It's highly infectous, can be carried without showing symptoms, can be transmitted by animals, can survive for days outside of a host, often completely resistant to anti-biotics, is borne over air, touch and fluids, etc. It's an extremely virulent infection, not only that though, it has already developed into even deadlier mutations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

nesf wrote:
    The thing is as much as we might whine about Mary Harney, the HSE etc, the people directly responsible for a lot of this are the front line staff in hospitals.

If every nurse scrubbed their hands after touching a patient this would help but I know from both being in hospital and visiting others at them that this definitely does not happen. Some change can come from the top but I believe with the strenght of the unions that it would have limited effect in practice.

Many people are blaming nurses and doctors for the MRSA problem. IN Nesf's post, it's the nurses getting it. I'm a doctor.I would argue that the hand hygiene of nurses is by and large excellent. Doctors' hand hygiene is also excellent. I have said before on a similiar thread that I have rageingly inflammed cracked skin all over my hands from washing them with the rough, cheap crappy soap that is provided in hospitals for us to use. However, I'll continue to observe stricy hand hygiene. The national hygiene audit of hospitals also agrees in it's conclusions that medical and nursing staff are very good at washing their hands, and are not the root of this problem.

Before you have a go at nurses bear in mind the following:

1) MANY MANY people have MRSA before they come into hospital, but it becomes problematic for them in hospital as they are ill. They don't all catch it within our 4 walls.

2) Nurses are worked to the bone as it is. It adds a tremendous time burden to your day when you wash your hands between every single patient. However, they do it. They rarely get thanked. They just get blamed for MRSA. There are many more bigger issues here than handwashing.

I don't think the government can be made complete scapegoats for this. Sure, they're not responding to this fast enough, but this epidemic isn't confined to Ireland. It's also important to understand that MRSA is still a relatively new phenomenon. Not only that, but the rate of infection is increasing on a worldwide scale. It's highly infectous, can be carried without showing symptoms, can be transmitted by animals, can survive for days outside of a host, often completely resistant to anti-biotics, is borne over air, touch and fluids, etc. It's an extremely virulent infection, not only that though, it has already developed into even deadlier mutations.

Its not new, I know Beaumount confessed to having it in their hospital 8 years ago and I'm sure it was there long before that. Other countries are controlling the virus a lot better than us, our stats on the issue are a total disgrace, we are the second richest country in the EU and we have one of the worst records for MRSA.

So when you say "not responding fast enough" I think you are underestimating the slowness of the Government to respond, I was in an MRSA ward in 1999 and I was in one 2006 and things were worse not better, we'r not even moving in the right direction. Our Government have failed to control MRSA.

There is some issues I might discuss on here and slate the Government over that I don't know enough about but this is not one, I have seen what this bug does first hand and I have seen how hospitals deal with it over a period of 8 years and I can assure you the Government have failed here. They manage the system the book stops with them, they have to be accountable.

irish1 wrote:
    Our Government have failed to control the virus.

Also, it's not a virus :p

Well if you want to get technical no I guess its not, but sorry if I don't appreciate your smiley on this issue when I almost lost a parent to it.

and I don't appreciate u trying to dubiously steal the high moral ground here, by relating my smiley to somebody's illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

tallaght01 wrote:
    Also, it's not a virus :p
    I was going to say that too. :P

People talk about cleanliness in hospitals being a factor, this is only partially true. The MRSA bacteria can lay dormant for long periods of time on clean dry surfaces. A hospital could "look" absolutely spotless but still be riddled with MRSA. Likewise, a hospital could be absolutely filthy and not have a trace of MRSA. Also, as Tallaght said, there is a serious problem with people coming into hospital with the disease and spreading it and as I mentioned, people are able to carry the bacteria and spread it without realising it. Not only that, but it's finding it's way into the food chain (through pigs in Holland). Because it's often untreatable, people can carry it for life, becoming infectous when the disease flares up.

The most effective solution is to completely isolate infected MRSA patients. This is extremely costly though, as the Dutch have found out.

• Advertisement

You can have the high moral ground I just thought a smiley wasn't needed thats all.

Anyway back on topic

People talk about cleanliness in hospitals being a factor, this is only partially true. The MRSA bacteria can lay dormant for long periods of time on clean dry surfaces. A hospital could "look" absolutely spotless but still be riddled with MRSA. Likewise, a hospital could be absolutely filthy and not have a trace of MRSA. Also, as Tallaght said, there is a serious problem with people coming into hospital with the disease and spreading it and as I mentioned, people are able to carry the bacteria and spread it without realising it. Not only that, but it's finding it's way into the food chain (through pigs in Holland). Because it's often untreatable, people can carry it for life, becoming infectous when the disease flares up.

The most effective solution is to completely isolate infected MRSA patients. This is extremely costly though, as the Dutch have found out.

I work in the UK, and we try to isolate patients with MRSA, or any infectious disease. You're right though, it's a real drain on resources. We would very rarely have an MRSA patient on an open ward, but we still have reasonably high levels of the bug. However, as I've said ad nauseum before, it's not as big a health issue as smoking, drugs, our booze culture and our poor diets....but hey we can't blame other people for those, so lets focus all our energies on MRSA.

Cynical, moi? :p

3 days is the max it can survive on a surface AFAIK, when you talk about looking cleaning you are right but its hard to accept that a hospital can be dirty looking and believe that it doesn't help the spread of MRSA.

People may well bring it into hospitals but I know for a fact that my parent contracted it in a Beaumount operating theatre, I have seen nurses and doctors at first hand fail to wash their hands between MRSA patients, there is no one issue that is causing the rise in the spread but not enough is been done.

The HSE should also be looking at alternative treatments like Manuka Honey which has proved very effective on wound dressings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Tristrame wrote:
    BUT I reckon myself whats needed is a good kick in the arsé to those not doing their jobs properly.
    However, you have to get through the union garbage to sort that out as they would go mad at the very suggestion(I reckon ) of any fault for MRSA lying at their doorstep.
    And they do have the blame for much of it in my opinion.

In fairness, while most people do not relate to this problem at a level that you guys would, we should not sperate ourselves from the facts. One of my own lecturers Hilary Humphries has been on the national radio in recent weeks reiterating that improvements in medical practices are not tackling MRSA.

A much more effective way of controlling this bug is in catching it at the front entrance, and that seems to be the way forward. To do this, hospitals and GPs and community health clinics need diagnostic resources and lab infrastructure and that is where politics does come into it.

If particular isolation was afforded to post-op and wound patients (and the other guys who are at increased risk of contraction), this would be an additional benefit, but the infrastructure is not there.

Nobody is saying doctors and nurses shouldn't wash their hands at all, but lets be reasonable about it. To assume that this is the fault of medical staff who need a kick up the ass as you put it, is far too simplistic.
    You can have a patient picking up MRSA in work, bringing it into a hospital, and giving it to another patient in the canteen, or from sitting on the bed chatting to them, or other means of transmission which are quite simply practically unavoidable in large hospitals.

The generally accepted opinion is that if you can tackle MRSA as close to admission as is possible, and isolate patients, you will put a dent in the figures.
    Medical staff standing under washbasins all day whilst patients roam around the corridoors and visitors come and go is going to do precious little in solving the problem. Should doctors wash after every time they touch a door handle? Pick up the stethoscope? Answer the telephone? Turn on a machine? Scratch their heads? Lets be realistic about it.

Also, before everybody starts blaming medical staff, lets point out the massive underuse of preventitive gels amongst visitors. This is one of the most frustrating thing that any doctor, nurse or other medical workers witness on a daily basis on behalf of patients who often demand that its the medics who are causing this problem.

The point I'm making isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but throwing the election rubbish out the window for a minute, there does need to be greater poltical leadership and action, there does need to be early intervention and diagnoses, there needs to greater action on behalf of visitors, and there does need to be vigilance on behalf of medics and cleaners. But simply heaping this problem on the latter group is going to mean one thing, and that is the perpetuation of this awful and unnecessary situation, and more grief for more people.

tallaght01 wrote:
    However, as I've said ad nauseum before, it's not as big a health issue as smoking, drugs, our booze culture and our poor diets....but hey we can't blame other people for those, so lets focus all our energies on MRSA.

Cynical, moi? :p

Well my father's health problems were the direct result of MRSA not smoking, drink, drugs or poor diet so forgive me if I concentrate on blaming what did cause it.

tallaght01 wrote:
    Many people are blaming nurses and doctors for the MRSA problem. IN Nesf's post, it's the nurses getting it. I'm a doctor.I would argue that the hand hygiene of nurses is by and large excellent. Doctors' hand hygiene is also excellent. I have said before on a similiar thread that I have rageingly inflammed cracked skin all over my hands from washing them with the rough, cheap crappy soap that is provided in hospitals for us to use. However, I'll continue to observe stricy hand hygiene. The national hygiene audit of hospitals also agrees in it's conclusions that medical and nursing staff are very good at washing their hands, and are not the root of this problem.

Are you working here or in the NHS? The problem is that there are a lot of doctors and nurses who are very good at their jobs, fastidious about hygene and work very hard. The reason why this is a problem is because of the small percentage who aren't. When I say that there are issues with hygene at the front lines with nurses and doctors it instantly brings a response such as yours where you interpret it as me saying that all of them are at fault and you list out how hard you work etc. This is why there is such an issue with the unions, if one of you is critisised you all get up in arms about it. Or at least the vocal ones anyways.

The reality is that it only takes a small fraction of the nurses and doctors to not have good hygene practices to spread diseases in hospitals, it doesn't matter that the majority might scrubbing the skin off the bone in their hands. As a doctor you know this.
    Before you have a go at nurses bear in mind the following:

1) MANY MANY people have MRSA before they come into hospital, but it becomes problematic for them in hospital as they are ill. They don't all catch it within our 4 walls.

2) Nurses are worked to the bone as it is. It adds a tremendous time burden to your day when you wash your hands between every single patient. However, they do it. They rarely get thanked. They just get blamed for MRSA. There are many more bigger issues here than handwashing.

You'll have to excluse me if I ignore your posturing here.

Hygene is a problem in hospitals, and since you work in them I assume you've met and seen staff who seem to have no regard for it. A minority sure, but they do exist unfortunately. All professions and vocations attract some of them.

Diseases can and will be brought in from the outside and there isn't a whole lot that you can do to stop this, but cross-infection within hospitals is something that can be limited to some degree by staff. I'm not arguing that nurses, or doctors, are the cause or should take the blame for MRSA, I'm saying that there are hygene problems in hospitals amoung a minority of staff and that this is contributing to the problem (and not just with MRSA but with pneumonia etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My wife is a nurse and was talking about this last week. She was saying about some of the efforts that take place when they get a case of mrsa where she works. But she says, while they might steam clean the beds, have the floors and walls washed down, wear gowns etc, they get cross-contamination from members of the public who totally ignore the signs and don't bother to even wash their hands.

nesf wrote:
    Are you working here or in the NHS? The problem is that there are a lot of doctors and nurses who are very good at their jobs, fastidious about hygene and work very hard. The reason why this is a problem is because of the small percentage who aren't. When I say that there are issues with hygene at the front lines with nurses and doctors it instantly brings a response such as yours where you interpret it as me saying that all of them are at fault and you list out how hard you work etc. This is why there is such an issue with the unions, if one of you is critisised you all get up in arms about it. Or at least the vocal ones anyways.

The reality is that it only takes a small fraction of the nurses and doctors to not have good hygene practices to spread diseases in hospitals, it doesn't matter that the majority might scrubbing the skin off the bone in their hands. As a doctor you know this.

You'll have to excluse me if I ignore your posturing here.

Hygene is a problem in hospitals, and since you work in them I assume you've met and seen staff who seem to have no regard for it. A minority sure, but they do exist unfortunately. All professions and vocations attract some of them.

Diseases can and will be brought in from the outside and there isn't a whole lot that you can do to stop this, but cross-infection within hospitals is something that can be limited to some degree by staff. I'm not arguing that nurses, or doctors, are the cause or should take the blame for MRSA, I'm saying that there are hygene problems in hospitals amoung a minority of staff and that this is contributing to the problem (and not just with MRSA but with pneumonia etc).

So we can accept that only "a minority" of hospital staff have poor handwashing hygiene? Fair enough. If you believe that a tiny minority of hospital staff not washing their hands is responsible for this endemic, rather than huge problems of infrastructure, then you are seriously seriously misinformed.
    I work in the NHS, but it's the same bug. It's a huge multifactorial problem.

tallaght01 wrote:
    So we can accept that only "a minority" of hospital staff have poor handwashing hygiene? Fair enough. If you believe that a tiny minority of hospital staff not washing their hands is responsible for this endemic, rather than huge problems of infrastructure, then you are seriously seriously misinformed.

As I said earlier, I didn't think it was the cause or anything, I believe that it's contributory and that it would be generally a good thing to improve in any case and it would reduce to some extent the spread of diseases (not just MRSA) within hospitals, which we can all agree is a good thing.
    I work in the NHS, but it's the same bug. It's a huge multifactorial problem.

I was just curious really, I appreciate that it's a big issue over there too, I've friends who work in the NHS. But as you said it's a huge multifactorial problem and there are many ways to reduce, if only in small ways, the problem. Attitude shifts in the unions allowing for some realisation that criticism of a minority of their membership is not a criticism of the profession might go some way towards helping matters.

The depressing thing is that MRSA is only the headline grabber and is only the tip of the iceberg regarding the whole issue of cross-infection in hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...members of the public who totally ignore the signs and don't bother to even wash their hands.
    I've mentioned before being in a hospital public toilet and seeing people walk from a cubicle straight out the door without washing their hands. Filthy pigs - it should be a criminal offence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement