Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 custom build , any suggestions?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i have 7-800 quid to spend on a build. any recommendations? i plan dual boot linux with windows ? how do people rate the komplett customs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Far be it from me to suggest this is the best money can buy and it it a little out of date now, but I did a wee jobbie for a mate recently enough and this is what I got. Turned out to be about €860 in the end (never considered shipping costs)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055019888

It's missing some componentes he had already; HDD's, DVD's etc but the bare bones of a system are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

try this

Motherboard:Abit IL9 Pro
    CPU : Intel core 2 duo e6300
    CPU Cooler : stock
    HardDisk : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB
    DVD/CDRW : Samsung SH-S182D 18x18 DVD±RW
    Memory: Corsair 1GB DDR2 Value Select PC5300
    Graphics : Leadtek GeForce 7600 GS SILENT
    case:Antec SLK3800BUK Black-400W SmartPower PSU

Total:750 from overclcokers.co.uk including shipping
    from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055031560

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Look at my ankermann thread. The lower spec PC was under €800 and was far superior to ocuk build.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52733524&postcount=10
    At most you should get a better PSU from Komplett or somewhere. They did not offer any of the more expensive PSU's for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

cheers some nice options there ... more welcome :D

how do ypu rate this ?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.asp?sku=10093 with options above?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

What you have on that page looks good except the graphics card is a little crummy. Want to upgrade that to at least a 7600 if you want to play games.

• Advertisement

A 7900 would be better... or if you cant afford an 8800 then try an ATI 1950 as they are cheap and pretty good too as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

An 8800 would be lost on that machine, and it would cost about half the outlay. Better to buy good quality mobo, hdd and ram that could be used in an upgrade.

I know it would be lost.. hence the reason i did not suggest he got it.. but suggested a cheaper alternative thats better than what he was thinking about int he first place :D

I still read your previous post as "if you can afford it get it... if not get the 7900 instead". Not sure why you are bothering to mention the 8800 if you are not recommending it :rolleyes:

Personally I'd go with the complete build over the Ankermann and certainly the OC.

Why? Well, the Ankermann mobo is kinda crap. As afar as i can tell, it doesn't support SATAII. This despite the fat that the HDD is SATAII. Also the HDD has a good bit less capacity then the one offered with the komplett build. Finally, the Ankermann doesn't come with an OS, so you would have to factor that cost in. However, if you are going down the Vista route then this may not be a bad thing.

Conversely, the graphics card is far superior on the Ankermann then the Komplett build.

Personally, I think you should just build the thing yourself.

Jaysus... I said if you "cant afford it" becuase quite clearly he cant on a budget of €800. I mentioned it as a point of reference. 8800 being the best you can get so the 7900 is just below. I also mention the 1950 because again... its about the best of the ATI offering without paying the 8800 price. Maybe you did not understand what i meant but i did since i said it :D

Oh and on the asus website and pretty much every website that mentions the board it says it has SATA supporting speeds of 3Gb/s which is clearly SATA II since I believe SATA is half that.
    In fact none of the Asus mention SATA II and they are not the only motherboards i have noticed that while they are SATA II they are only reffered to as Serial ATA 3Gb/s as opposed to 1.5 GB/s
    In actual fact that motherboard gets superb reviews. There is a delux version thats even better! Its not as good as the one im getting on my rig though. Also the one i posted had an E6400 as opposed to E6300 as well as higher bandwidth memory.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! Good for you and your SATA II mobo :D Just in case you think I was taking the piss out out your system, I wasn't. I still think the best option is to build from scratch.

An X1950pro would be a good improvement over the 7600GT, but may be a little expensive for your budget. However, this is all assuming the OP is into gaming. If your are no into gaming then money would be better spent on other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

nope, not looking at gaming, just doing some development, loading mysql, apache, email server the usual, might use it for recording tv and other bits and bobs :D

Advertisement