Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housemates issue

• 05-02-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I moved into a house with a few months ago. There is a couple and another single person in the house. I had no problem paying the rent advertised. It's pretty normal for the area. I just pay into another housemate's account and they pay the landlord. I didn't know how much the whole house rent was until recently and I was a bit miffed when I did find out. I'm paying 36% of the rent. My room is a decent size with a double bed. It's not ensuite. The other single person has a smaller room but I don't know how much they're paying. Even if they're paying quite a small amount it still means the couple are paying very little each. I know they should be paying less per person than me but they have a very big ensuite room and they cram the utility rooms and kitchen presses with their stuff and use things like the washing machine excessively. They generally hog most of the house. They've been living here quite a while and really think of it as their home I suppose.

I'm a fairly placid person but it's beginning to irk me. One half of the couple would be quite difficult was I to get on the wrong side of them so I don't want to rock the boat.

I suppose it's not the biggest problem in the world but I was just wondering what others thought of:

a) How would you broach the subject with the housemates
    b)What would be a reasonable amount to pay each (I think I should pay 32%, other person 26% and the couple 42% - They'd still be paying nearly 180 less than me each).

All other bills are split 4 ways so there's no way I should be paying more than 1/3 of the rent with 4 people living here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Hi all,

I moved into a house with a few months ago. There is a couple and another single person in the house. I had no problem paying the rent advertised. It's pretty normal for the area. I just pay into another housemate's account and they pay the landlord. I didn't know how much the whole house rent was until recently and I was a bit miffed when I did find out. I'm paying 36% of the rent. My room is a decent size with a double bed. It's not ensuite. The other single person has a smaller room but I don't know how much they're paying. Even if they're paying quite a small amount it still means the couple are paying very little each. I know they should be paying less per person than me but they have a very big ensuite room and they cram the utility rooms and kitchen presses with their stuff and use things like the washing machine excessively. They generally hog most of the house. They've been living here quite a while and really think of it as their home I suppose.

I'm a fairly placid person but it's beginning to irk me. One half of the couple would be quite difficult was I to get on the wrong side of them so I don't want to rock the boat.

I suppose it's not the biggest problem in the world but I was just wondering what others thought of:

b)What would be a reasonable amount to pay each (I think I should pay 32%, other person 26% and the couple 42% - They'd still be paying nearly 180 less than me each).

All other bills are split 4 ways so there's no way I should be paying more than 1/3 of the rent with 4 people living here.

Who set the rent? The landlord or the couple, if its the landlord then don't be irked with the couple. However, get a rota established for access to the utilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    Who set the rent? The landlord or the couple, if its the landlord then don't be irked with the couple. However, get a rota established for access to the utilities

They worked it out themselves last year I believe. It's not split by the landlord. He just gets the lumpsum. Doesn't care how it's divided in the house. The utilities issue doesn't bother me too much as long as they're paying their fair share.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hi all,

If the bills are split evenly between all occupants in the house, then all is fair as far as I can see. It's not like the rent arrangement has actually changed, has it? No.

You got what you considered a fair deal. So what's changed except that you now think you're entitled to the same as you have now, for less? That somehow they should agree to pay more rent to reduce yours? What planet do you come from?

I live in a shared house where I'm the primary tenant (here for a few years longer than anyone else). My landlord wants a certain amount of rent per month for our house - Who pays what share isn't of any concern to him, just that he gets paid. Sometimes I've paid more rent to keep a room empty for a while, and sometimes I've paid less, depending on what the market rates are at the time someone's moving into a room. That's the way it works. And anyone who lives here and decides afterwards they don't like paying as much rent as they agreed to pay, can FO as far as I'm concerned.

You agreed a certain rent for your room - Pay it or move out. Really, if you don't like it, move out. Go share a house with friends or strangers and decide how to split the rent yourselves. But don't act like anyone else has a responsibility to cut your rent - They don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other posters. While I can see your position and would be a bit pissed off myself if I found I was paying more than my fair share in the house, you did agree to the rent and therefore have no real comeback against them.

They have been there longer and have probably been lowering their rent every time they have to get a new tenant in. It's not really fair, but then again when is the rental market ever fair?

I'm in a similar situation in work. I know that I am being paid less than someone in my company who does the exact same work as me (and dare I say it - I do it better!). However they have been there longer and I have accepted that I just have to work up to that pay scale. It's not fair at the moment but that's life.

'
    Hi all,

I think the situation is ridiculous. That's totally unfair on you.
    It will be difficult to approach the subjects with them.... especially looking at some peoples views here who seem to think it's somehow fair, as they've been there longer+ you agreed to pay what you were asked. Perhaps ask the other single person what they think as they live there+ would have some understanding of the situation...
    Then again... the couple aren't going to want to pay more than they are already, + as they have been there longer... what happens if they just say 'no'... it's unfair... but there might not be much you can do about it. They'd probably just find someone else that would fill your room+ make sure that person never finds out the overall rent..'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

'

They worked it out themselves last year I believe. It's not split by the landlord. He just gets the lumpsum. Doesn't care how it's divided in the house. The utilities issue doesn't bother me too much as long as they're paying their fair share.'

Ouch! In industry when apportioning cost this is usually done on a weighted matrix that includes floor space and functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Have you agreed to pay extra in the event of the other person in the house leaving and not being replaced for a couple of months?

Maybe the original couple are weighting the rent paid by them with the fact that a few times a year they have to pay extra to make up for the non payment of people leaving.

That being said if you are unhappy - Walk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yes it is unfair on you.
    However, they advertised a room and you took it at the price agreed.
    Your option is to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I have to agree with gill_dub, you agreed to pay a certain rent for the room and if you don't like it now, all you can do is leave.

In the house I rent the rent is split evenly between all rooms, whoever has been there the longest gets the biggest room, which is more than twice as big as the smallest room. At the moment I've been there longest and get the big room, but when I moved in I was in the small room and had no problem paying the same as everyone else.

For the utilities issue, from the way you describe it, it is something small that you probably wouldn't notice if you weren't already a bit pissed off about something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 summerwine

Well, if you ask me, I have never been in that situation. I would be raging with my housemates for doing this to me! They!!! are wrong for not telling you how much they are paying exactly. That is dishonest from the start and as housemates, they are supposed to be trustworthy. You put your trust in people you are going to live with, when the first thing you settle with them is dishonest! Thats really nice!!! And incidently, that is prob why they are loosing housemates all the time!

Thats stinks of selfishness from your housemates and I don't know of anyone in this situation. Non of my friends have been put into this situation and I certainly have never been.

On the flip side, I don't know why you moved in in the first place, I would def have not moved in when I knew I was to be paying into the accounts of a housemate and not the landlord.

Someone suggested that they do that in work. People these days have to fight for wages, now people have to fight for rent!!! When can people put down their guard???? When you feel you have your back to the wall. when can you sit down and relax knowing people wont take advantage of you????

Sorry folks, I'm usually an extremely relaxed and laid back guy but the fact that most people agree with the rent that Unreg567844 is paying.

I totally disagree, moral of the story, find a few friends and move in with them!!!! They don't take advantage of you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

summerwine wrote:
    Well, if you ask me, I have never been in that situation. I would be raging with my housemates for doing this to me! They!!! are wrong for not telling you how much they are paying exactly. That is dishonest from the start and as housemates, they are supposed to be trustworthy. You put your trust in people you are going to live with, when the first thing you settle with them is dishonest! Thats really nice!!! And incidently, that is prob why they are loosing housemates all the time!

Thats stinks of selfishness from your housemates and I don't know of anyone in this situation. Non of my friends have been put into this situation and I certainly have never been.

On the flip side, I don't know why you moved in in the first place, I would def have not moved in when I knew I was to be paying into the accounts of a housemate and not the landlord.

Someone suggested that they do that in work. People these days have to fight for wages, now people have to fight for rent!!! When can people put down their guard???? When you feel you have your back to the wall. when can you sit down and relax knowing people wont take advantage of you????

Sorry folks, I'm usually an extremely relaxed and laid back guy but the fact that most people agree with the rent that Unreg567844 is paying.

I totally disagree, moral of the story, find a few friends and move in with them!!!! They don't take advantage of you!!

Its not selfish - they are not his friends, its a business transaction.

OP, have you signed a lease? If you are paying into another house mates account you are effectively sub letting. You are not tied down to a lease. You have freedom to move and its only fair that you should pay more.

As Baraboo said, would you have to pay more if someone moved out?

But forget all that. If you think its a fair price that your paying, why rock the boat? You don't know what agreements are in place to keep the rent low (mowing lawns, house always occupied, work done on house).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

oh for god sake. Why does it really matter. They are SHARING the room hence the drop in rent. If your miffed get your self a room mate to share the cost.
    Does it relly matter? if you decide not to bothered by it then you wont you are focusing on it too much.
    Love life and each other.

Linoge wrote:
    Its not selfish - they are not his friends, its a business transaction......You don't know what agreements are in place to keep the rent low (mowing lawns, house always occupied, work done on house).

That's exactly how it is in our house. I take care of the routine maintenance, collecting and returning deposits for the landlord, advertising rooms, meeting people, paying all the bills etc, looking after communal areas, redecorating rooms etc.

Everything in the kitchen is mine (delph, cutlery, appliances etc.), the TV & DVD player are mine, half the furniture etc, hoover etc. It's all there for the other guys to use, but as far as I'm concerned, they're not getting all that and having me pay more rent too.

OP, you need to wise up. Summerwhine, a rant about having your back against the wall and not a break in sight yadda yadda is completely irrelevant. None of this is personal. They owe the OP absolutely nothing. This is all business. If you can't see that, you're both in line for a few hard knocks along the way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Welcome to capitalism, OP, there's always some greasy little profiteer around.

luckat wrote:
    Welcome to capitalism, OP, there's always some greasy little profiteer around.

.....always a few steps ahead of those who think they're entitled to something for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭roastie

do you claim tax relief on the rent you pay? if you don't the fact that you pay money into your housemates account and they pay the land lord , they may be in fact using your money to claim this tax relief. this happened to my cousin before.

roastie wrote:
    do you claim tax relief on the rent you pay? if you don't the fact that you pay money into your housemates account and they pay the land lord , they may be in fact using your money to claim this tax relief. this happened to my cousin before.

As a single person you're entitled to your own tax relief at the prevailing rate. One single person CAN NOT use another persons tax credit. Your cousin is mistaken, or you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You agreed that rate OP, that's the long and short of it. I am in the exact same position as Gil_Dub, I don't pay any more or less than anyone else, but I have the best room in the house. I've interviewed and sublet to many many housemates while I've been where I am.

You agreed to the price you are paying and considered it reasonable for the room. All that's changed is you've found out that someone else has what you consider a better deal, and you've turned into a jealous spoilt brat.

You were happy wiht the deal in the first place, the terms haven't changed. End. Of. Story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Im in agreement as well. Get over it. Every day you are probably fuming inside thinking of this. Let it go. You will feel better. If you cant let it go move house and find somewhere else to live. As you get older it gets harder and harder to rent with other human beings. You are probably reaching the age where you need your own place but caught in the fact it will cost you too much. Why do you think people pay 1300 for a one bed in town. They like privacy. I lived with my bro and sis for a while and we nearly killed each other. It was fine at first and then we all got older. We all have our own places now and get on much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭roastie

if the OP is paying into someone other than the landlords account , the person who is paying the rent for them can then claim they are paying all the money.

example

person A pays 400 rent
    person B pays 400 rent to person A

So person A pays 800 rent to landlord and then claims that they pay 800 in rent and claims it as a tax relief as they can prove they are paying 800 in rent.

this is what happened to my cousin , i admit that she was really foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

they are probably paying less as they only use one room

If you are paying 36%, perhaps they are paying 40%. it just happens to be that there are two in their room so it costs them 20%

tough basically, you agreed to it.

roastie wrote:
    if the OP is paying into someone other than the landlords account , the person who is paying the rent for them can then claim they are paying all the money.

example

person A pays 400 rent
    person B pays 400 rent to person A

So person A pays 800 rent to landlord and then claims that they pay 800 in rent and claims it as a tax relief as they can prove they are paying 800 in rent.

this is what happened to my cousin , i admit that she was really foolish.
    #

No no no. I know this is going off topic, but if people believe what you're saying, they might lose out on a benefit.

I just claimed 4 years rent relief in arrears. I didn't supply a single receipt. I declared my proportion of the rent, but would have received the exact same even if I'd told them I paid the entire rent - My entitlement/credits are based on my status as a single PAYE contributor. The fact is, and I was told this directly by the staff in Revenue, I'm entitled to it so they'll pay it. All they wanted was the address and the landlords name.

So, that's the way it is. Sorry to go OT, but it's important people don't think they've lost a tax credit entitlement just because someone's being a sh1t. Even your cousin can claim her tax credit as a refund in retrospect. Tell her to call the Revenue and submit a RENT 1 form. It's incredibly easy.....

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I tend to think the OP is stuck, they knew the price they were paying - put up with it or move.

However the OP may be able to use the potential tax issue to force a renegotiation on the rent splits. Just don't expect the other flatmates to be best pleased about it!

'My my, what a storm in a tea cup I seem to have induced - even moving into the far flung pastures of tax relief.

My basic arguement seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way. The crux of the matter is that there are 4 people living and sharing all of the facilities of the house equally regardless of room size. If there are four people then it does not make a huge amount of sense that 1 person alone can pay more than 1/3 of the rent. Yes it is a business transaction and yes someone else has signed the lease but at the end of the day everyone in a shared situation should treat everyone else in the house with respect. I get on very well with all of them and I don't think it was intentional for one person to pay that much. It probably happened over manys the tenant turnover.

I would find it quite reasonable to pay 32% of the rent, almost 1/3, considering the size of my room but more than that is not justifiable.

Thanks for the comments from everyone.

By the way - Rent relief is tax credit based and only amounts to about 20 euro extra max on your gross salary per week no matter what rent you pay.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Your basic argument isn't lost. It has been answered several times.

But your attitude is unchanged and so its settled, you're going to confront your flat mates or move out.

Let us all know the outcome!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Whine......whine.....whine....whine

Life's not fair - get over it.

Im puzzled as to what more you expect here? Are you just looking for a shoulder to cry on or are you actually going to decide on doing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My basic arguement seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way. The crux of the matter is that there are 4 people living and sharing all of the facilities of the house equally regardless of room size. If there are four people then it does not make a huge amount of sense that 1 person alone can pay more than 1/3 of the rent. Yes it is a business transaction and yes someone else has signed the lease but at the end of the day everyone in a shared situation should treat everyone else in the house with respect.

It doesn't seem to me that your original point was lost by anybody. You agreed to pay a price, if you don't like it, move. And if you do move, who do you think will have to pay your rent? If the other single person moves, who do you think will have to pay their rent. Who's tv is in the livingroom? Who's plates and pans and cutlery do you use? You pay more because you don't have any responsiblity for the house. They pay less because they do.

I pay £900pm for my mortgage. If I rented out my 3 spare rooms for £350pm which is the going rate in my area, I'd be making £150pm instead of paying anything. Would that be fair? Maybe not in the grand scheme of things. But I don't think anyone would say lets all pay £225pm. That's just the way life is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 iarlaoha

OP, If this is bothering you or you're thinking about it at all, move out.

If there is any undercurrent of injustice in how you view your living situation then it will make your life far more stressful than it needs to be. Every single thing will set you off, there being a wash in the machine when you want to wash your clothes, a dirty pot in the sink, every bill that gets divided, it's all going to be amplified by the sense of injustice about the rent issue. Whether it's fair or not. Whether you're right or not.

Ask yourself, in this situation, what action can you take to remove the stress from your life. What's the action that you can take alone, not involving or depending on your other housemates, and it's to move out.

If you're at a stage financially where you can rent a small place of your own, even a bedsit, do it. If you're not, figure the lowest amount of people you can share with and do that. Get one good flatmate and share a 2 bedroom. At least then, you can deal with any issues head on by confronting them, and you don't have to do **** by committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

'My my, what a storm in a tea cup I seem to have induced - even moving into the far flung pastures of tax relief.

My basic arguement seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way. The crux of the matter is that there are 4 people living and sharing all of the facilities of the house equally regardless of room size. If there are four people then it does not make a huge amount of sense that 1 person alone can pay more than 1/3 of the rent. Yes it is a business transaction and yes someone else has signed the lease but at the end of the day everyone in a shared situation should treat everyone else in the house with respect. I get on very well with all of them and I don't think it was intentional for one person to pay that much. It probably happened over manys the tenant turnover.

I would find it quite reasonable to pay 32% of the rent, almost 1/3, considering the size of my room but more than that is not justifiable.

Thanks for the comments from everyone.

By the way - Rent relief is tax credit based and only amounts to about 20 euro extra max on your gross salary per week no matter what rent you pay.'

The fact that there are 4 of you is kind of irrelevant given that there are 3 rooms. Room A Is bigger then room B which in turn is bigger then room C. It just makes sense that you and the couple would pay slightly more then a 3rd so the guy in room C can pay less then a 3rd as thats fair based on room sizes. The fact theres 2 of them in the room means nothing, it halves their rent for the 1 room. Would you be happy, say if your girlfriend stayed in your room with you and you had to pay extra rent, even if she added to the other bills anyway?

Most importantly though, as everyone else has said, you agreed to the deal so thats it really. They haven't raised your rent or anything, you've probably have been happy out if you never found out so really you have no cause to complain to them, or anyone on any official sense..

• Advertisement
Advertisement