Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Letterkenny???

Options
  • 05-02-2007 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've been in the States (deepest Mississippi) for the past seven years or so and my wife (who got her Irish citizenship recently) and I are pretty much decided on moving back to Ireland. We're thinking of Letterkenny as a possibility. I'm originally from County Down but the way things are going there it looks like it might be First Minister Paisley :eek: before too long which is just too horrible a thought to contemplate living with.

Any pros or cons for Letterkenny as a potential place to move to? House rental prices seem pretty good. How's the job situation there? Bear in mind we'll do pretty much anything - neither of us are exactly high powered executives. My wife is keen on care work (that's what she does over here) while I've experience in Admin and Customer Service positions.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

yours, dreaming of proper pints :D and summer days below 35C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

letterkenny is thriving at the moment. its a nice town (- sataurday nights) there is lots of jobs and it should meet all your consumer needs. check out the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a couple of older threads here which may help THIS and THIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

It has to be the Twin-Towns of Ballybofey & Stranorlar for you. Simple as that.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jimmybob

Have A look at www.letterkennyguide.com. Plenty of info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Vivaldian wrote:
    it looks like it might be First Minister Paisley :eek: before too long which is just too horrible a thought to contemplate living with
    It gets worse - Martin McGuinness may be Deputy First Minister! :eek:

Vivaldian wrote:
    dreaming of summer days below 35C
    Or even below 15c. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

Letterkenny is alright, but you would be better off looking towards Rathmullan or Ramelton way. Or depending on your job look out towards Manorcunningham, Newtowncunningham, St Johnston or carrigans, you'll get much better value for your money in relation to houses and property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

Hi did something similar - myself and my wife came back to Ireland after 4 years in Australia. Originally from Co. Derry but had been living in Dublin before Australia and really didn't want to go back there. But for job reasons we ended up back in Dublin, spent a year there and then moved to Donegal. We were lucky in that we could both take our jobs with us. We're now waiting on solicitors to sort their game out and we'll be living near Rossnowlagh. It's been a good move and so far we haven't looked back.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rossnowlagh sure has a great beach. Plus you've the advantage of being near the great wee place that is Ballintra :D Best of luck with your move.

Anyway, back on topic, be it Letterkenny or any surrounding town like those mentioned by Gareth, there will be plenty of homes to choose from.

Just make sure where ever you choose, that it'll be possible to have broadband, as its availability is somewhat dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JimmyD

I wouldn't move to Letterkenny <SNIP> there are a lot of nicer areas north of Letterkenny beside the coast only half an hours drive away which offer a lot more than the tip letterkenny has turned into. Work in Letterkenny, use the place, but don't live there, its an overdeveloped, over rated, over-priced town, just read the weekly newspaper.

JimmyD wrote:
    but don't live there, its an overdeveloped, over rated, over-priced town, just read the weekly newspaper.
    No different than any other large town.

Oh, JimmyD just be careful with the content of your posts as other people can take offense to certain comments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vivaldian

Thanks for all the info everybody.

I know larger towns have their faults, and I'm sure Letterkenny's no exception, but after seven years over here in a very rural area (and no bloody pubs) I'm more than prepared to put up with them.

Speaking of pubs - any Letterkenny recommendations? Nothing too noisy mind. We're fast approaching the age when they say life begins, so we're a bit past that sort of stuff. :)

There are a couple of threads already posted here about pubs/night clubs etc if you want to scroll back a page or 2. They might be listed under a title like weekend in Letterkenny or stag night or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Letterkenny is a great vibrant town. Its very easy to look at the negative headlines or posts and these are what stick in the mind.

There's quite a good employment scene and enterprise is shaping up for those who try it.

Socially, Letterkenny has loads to offer. I'm in my thirties and out at least four nights a week. Granted I see plenty in the papers but in real life I'm lucky to avoid it. Keeping to yourself and not stragling about the streets helps to all hours. Lets face it, O'Connell street or any main street is not that safe.

I think opportunities and shopping etc is great here now. Driving through the Twin Towns is no picnic in terms of congestion either.

On the face of it no matter where you settle in Donegal, you want to be near Letterkenny or be prepared to travel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

you will have to check out the drum bar in lower main street :p you will be starred out

Advertisement