Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates

Options
  • 05-02-2007 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

The house is nearly finished - at last after 14 months. But I want to make provision for electric gates for further down the road. My father in law is making gates for me and what I want to know is -

What provisions do I need to allow now on the gates and in the ground to make these gates into electric opening?

Do I buy a kit or how does it happen?

Thanks,

Dummy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I guess it depends on what system you use. You will need ar least a 2.5mmsq electrical feed and a cat 5 feed from your house as well

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

http://www.suirwayautomation.com

You might get some useful information from this website, they sent out a brochure to all RECI members recently.
    I know nothing about them but their prices seem to be keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah, typically what Mr. FX said

a 3x2.5.sq.mm SWA cable for power from the motor site of the gate to your switch board, a six core control cable from the gate keypad/call point to your house so you can have an intercom / answer facility. That would sort out 90% of your average domestic gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

as already said a supply cable and a cat5 or a poly-poly (suitable for burying) .maybe an extension cable from the door for an intercom upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

depending on the run, a 3 X 1.5 SWA is all that is needed. The FAAC underground system as sold by Electro Automation and National Automation uses 24V DC motors only. There is very little current draw. I would back up the 3 X 1.5 with a 10A RCBO in your main consumer unit.

If you want any additional functionality from the system, like your garden lights switching on with the gates opening at night, put in a 4 core and connect the spare core to the switchwire for the lights.

Cat 5 will do for the comms, but I always use 10 pair poly poly fed back to a central point within the house and 6 core alarm cable from there to each intercom unit. A common mistake is to wire for the intercom at the front door, cable it to whatever room you use most.

If you are considering video a co axial is not required as most systems are two wire now, so a 4 X 1.5 NYMJ will do for a 2 wire video intercom.

If your driveway is being finished at this stage make sure that you put a duct in now between your two piers.

The best way of setting up the system now for later is to buy the underground "Cans" that the motors will be in and install them now with your gates on them. That way you just have to install the motors and control panel later on without any digging or welding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you everyone.

I ran 2 * cat5 cables (to be sure to be sure) and an electrical feed from the house to where the gates will be at 7am this morning. The builder left me some piping yesterday evening to run the cables through in the ground.

I secured both ends of the cables very well to protect them as gates will not be going in for a while.

Thank you all again.

The Dummy

Advertisement