Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from FC5 to FC6

• 06-02-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Im thinking about upgrading from Fedora core 5 to 6. Just wondering how easy it will it be to upgrade? I have downloaded fc6 and burnt it to dvd. Will FC6 simply install over FC5 or will i have to remove FC5 and all my settings first?

Im fairly new to linux, and it took me a while to setup FC5 on my laptop. Getting the wireless network card and screen resolution (amoung other things) setup correctly was a pain, so it would be great if the upgrade would include all these settings... somehow i doubt if it is that simple :rolleyes:
    any help would be great ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

When you run the installer, FC6 should detect your FC5 installation and offer you an upgrade path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

great stuff... shall try that tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I had FC5 on my laptop and decided to upgrade using the upgrade feature on the FC6 dvd. It upgraded but a lot of the stuff was not working correctly so I went for a brand new FC6 install. Most people on the fedora forum also recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade. Try the upgrade first but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

With regard to getting your wireless and screen resolution working, you should write down (or save in a file) the things you had to do so that the next time around its simply a matter of following your own instructions again. Usually something that took you a few hours to figure out will only take a few minutes to replicate if you have a how to written by yourself in front of you.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Your mileage may vary, if for example you got a separate "/home" partition then I'd probably wipe everything else (except it) and do a complete reinstall. However another route i've taken once or twice is to modify "/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo" to specify that it's fc6 and thus do an update using YUM, however to do that ye need plenty of bandwidth (helps having a fibre optic connection in office!) and your more likely to get package conflicts etc.

Advertisement