Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Podge And Rodge - anyone else had their fill?!

• 06-02-2007 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong.. Podge and Rodge are still the freshest funniest thing to come outta RTÉ since well.... ever!

But is it me or are they starting to wear a bit thin? Getting a bit more miss than hit in interviews? They're constantly either in radio jingles / TV license advertisements / award shows.

Might be just me though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

yup.
    Couldn't be arsed watching them now.
    Their live show was an awful let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I didnt see the live show but I still really enjoy the show. Thought it was fairly good tonight, "what do you think Bisto?" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

No one actually finds podge & rodge funny. They just think everyone else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

really enjoyed a scare at bedtime, but this prime time show they have is just utter ****e tbh, never liked it from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I used to watch Podge and Rodge when they were on after Father Ted and thats where it ended for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

They're milking it for all it's worth just like they did when they were Zig & Zag it's old hat now typical RTE of course trying to please the "young people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Cremo wrote:
    really enjoyed a scare at bedtime, but this prime time show they have is just utter ****e tbh, never liked it from the start.

Ditto. The interviews on it got old very, very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

over-exposure? sure thats what RTE is all about, most of they're acts are actually not overly bad if they were fitted into the 5minute slot that podge and rodge had previously (id prob be able to watch kenny if he was just on for 5minutes!!) i fully expect to see podge and rodge get another show to add to they're twice a week slot!!
    to be honest i never found the current format show that entertaining, but watch from lack of anything else on!!which is why rte get so many viewers for many of they're shows methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

A Scare at Bedtime was one of the funnniest programs RTÉ have ever produced and was excellent overall.

The new show isn't all that bad (not incredibly funny) but it has become tired and needs a spot of re-invention.

I'd be happy to see them try something else as the characters probably still have plenty of mileage if given a fresh angle and a free hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I loved the first few seasons but am a wee bit jaded by it now. still watch it because there is nothing else on but last night was more tempted to pick up a book. I defo think there is more mileage in them but the format needs changing.

• Advertisement

I never really saw the appeal of Podge and Rodge. I watched their talk show and thought it was atrociously unfunny.

I've always found them to be a second rate Muppets, using shock tactics to appear fresh and funny.

As far as I'm cocnerned you really only need one show starring puppets and that is the far superior Greg the Bunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

eamon234 wrote:
    typical RTE of course trying to please the "young people"

and the advertisers, afterall money doesnt grow on trees

what kind of viewing figures are Podge & Rodge getting these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've lost interest completely. Not worth staying up for. I think they've run out of people to interview. Not to mention the interviews arent half as funny anymore either.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My interest has waned also. Should have been axed ages ago and not allowed to run out of steam, like it has done.

As said earlier, the Podge and Rodge thing is best suited to a 5 minute show, like Scare at Bedtime, which was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Nightwish wrote:
    Not to mention the interviews arent half as funny anymore either.

True. They seem to have decided to stop taking the piss out of people altogether.
    Niall Toibin was on tonight and it was all, "you're a legend" and "ladies and gentlemen, a true Irish legend blah blah".
    I was never a huge fan, even of scare at bedtime, so will only be tuning in the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Stale and juvenile. Has come to the end, saw five mins of their NYE show and it was as bad as any other NYE show I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

you people love everything and then you hate everything, Think this forum has turned into one big British Tabloid

lol, thats one way of putting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

fade2black wrote:
    you people love everything and then you hate everything, Think this forum has turned into one big British Tabloid

id like to think we slightly more intelligent....but good call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the show in it's current format has run it's course. It's strange, I was only just thinking that the other night when watching it and was talking to a mate last night and he said the same.
    I think the problem with shows like theirs, and with most guest orientated shows on RTE is that they run out of guests too quickly. Sure the Late Late Show had Johnny Logan on it promoting his new McDonald's ad. :rolleyes: Actually, did anybody see that show? And in particular the bit where he was performing "Hold Me Now" where during an instrumental bit he decided to say, "Twisty Fries anybody?" **cringe**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They've run their course. Bring back Bronx Bunny!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Actually, did anybody see that show? And in particular the bit where he was performing "Hold Me Now" where during an instrumental bit he decided to say, "Twisty Fries anybody?" **cringe**

yes i saw it. i liked the look on his face the second he said that and realised that nobody laughed at it. i think it was pity that this poor bastard had to stoop so low as to do that ad. he is Irelands David Hasselhoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

BaZmO* wrote:
    And in particular the bit where he was performing "Hold Me Now" where during an instrumental bit he decided to say, "Twisty Fries anybody?" **cringe**

I saw that and thought it was shocking, pure cringe.

Back on topic, I never saw the appeal in Podge & Rodge, I've laughed a few times, but never really followed the show, too many z list celebrities and purile humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

humanji wrote:
    They've run their course. Bring back Bronx Bunny!

that show was excellent. always had a good set of personalities to interview.. pity it never got shown on RTE2, think i was on E4 but at a ludicrous hour iirc

oh and yeah, P+D had their couple of months fame, bringing it back to a one show per week format might help them put together one really good show per week as opposed to 2 mediocre shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the show was always shakey, but funny, I don't know they the interviews are too short, they don't actually really embarrass the guest that much, there too respectful. They stick to their script and just do look to audiences too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

That Podge & Rodge talk show was never good. And there's that nauseating ladette they have as co-presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

that show was excellent. always had a good set of personalities to interview.. pity it never got shown on RTE2, think i was on E4 but at a ludicrous hour iirc

oh and yeah, P+D had their couple of months fame, bringing it back to a one show per week format might help them put together one really good show per week as opposed to 2 mediocre shows.

For those of us who don't know. The Bronx Bunny Show is produced by the people behind Rodge and Podge etc etc.

I think R+P have done quite well as far as guests are concerned, Z list yes but then what talk show isn't doing Z list Celebs etc etc. And its not like the R+P Show pretends to be anything but that.

It was never on one night a week, It always went out on Monday's and Tuesday's.

Don't expect so much from this show. It's light entertainment and remains quite enjoyable. But like any show it will run out of steam and that's the way it should be.

I beleive that the Bronx Bunny Show is going to be produced for an american audience very soon. :)

I have to say I don't watch R+P as much anymore but I do still enjoy them when I do see them.

The Miss. Ireland Interview was very good, and the sixty seconds of fame was also very funny. However I think that Neil Tobin was a wasted guest.

As for Ms. Kennedy, I like her vox pop's.

Also most of the guest don't come from RTE that often, but I am sure I will be told how many RTE stars have appeared on the show.

Even Rodge and Podge has stated that RTE are milking it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

And there's that ladette they have

That word sums her up perfectly. Was she not told acting like was fine a few years ago but that doesn't impress anyone anymore? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

The "interviews" are about 5 minutes long and the characters aren't as sharp as they used to be.

The talent things are always unfunny, they should just extend the interviews, I don't see the point of bringing some of the guests in given that they don't talk to anyone for longer than 8 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Jason Byrne on Monday night was just dire. P & R seemed to be almost false laughing at any sh*te he was coming out with. I couldn't change channel fast enough.

but will whiskeyman go back for more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

whiskeyman wrote:
    Jason Byrne on Monday night was just dire. P & R seemed to be almost false laughing at any sh*te he was coming out with. I couldn't change channel fast enough.

Yeah that was actually pathetic! Fake laughing to the highest degree, throwing their heads back laughing at Jason Byrne! They are puppets!!!.

Although anyone throwing their heads back laughing at Jason Byrne would surely be fake laughing?

STRANGE

Was watching Scannal! this week and the Little boy who was terrified of all the bad English Hooligans in Landsdown road in 1995, is now providing the Music to the US version of the Bronx Bunny show. :)

The Jason Byrne Interview was ****, but Jason Byrne can be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

its gone to the dogs. that Lucy girl.... ughhhh dont know how they let her on the telly she makes my skin crawl everytime she speaks and awfully introduces something new. she is a terrible host. and the whole thing with them being hilarious has died off as its the same old crap repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've yet to watch an episode from this series, even though I get free tickets to the shows...I'm just not arsed any more, its kind of lost its touch and gotten old quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

less **** talk bout games nd more cheeky talkin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

evad_lhorg wrote:
    its gone to the dogs. that Lucy girl.... ughhhh dont know how they let her on the telly she makes my skin crawl everytime she speaks and awfully introduces something new. she is a terrible host. and the whole thing with them being hilarious has died off as its the same old crap repeated.

Agreed.

That Lucy one is very, very annoying while P+D seem to be spouting the same sh1te every week.

Also some of the interviews are lame, to say the least. Earlier this week, they were interviewing some old lad (Mailbag, I think) - Jesus it was cringe-worthy.

A show that has gotten very old, very fast IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Mossy Monk wrote:
    yes i saw it. i liked the look on his face the second he said that and realised that nobody laughed at it. i think it was pity that this poor bastard had to stoop so low as to do that ad. he is Irelands David Hasselhoff
    Please do not use the 'Hoffs' name in vain.

Oh yes and 'Podge and Rodge' were always crap from day one. They are an unintelligent response to the 'Lambert' families success of 'Zig and Zag' a little bit of 90's kitcsh. Oh for the days of Chris Evans, Johnny Vaugn, and Denise Van houten on the BB.
    Not to mention Paula Yates on the bed with Hutchence, iconic stuff. Nothing compares.

Oh yes and 'Podge and Rodge' were always crap from day one. They are an unintelligent response to the 'Lambert' families success of 'Zig and Zag' a little bit of 90's kitcsh. Oh for the days of Chris Evans, Johnny Vaugn, and Denise Van houten on the BB.
    Not to mention Paula Yates on the bed with Hutchence, iconic stuff. Nothing compares.

The Lambert Family have absolutely nothing to do with Zig & Zag.

Zig & Zag where created by two Graphic Design Students as part of their final year project for college, their lecturer asked them to put their creations forward for Dempsey's Den in it's second year, the first year was only presented by Ian and then eventually both puppets appeared together. It was then that Bob Geldof asked them to appear on The Big Breakfast which they pre-recorded while traveling between RTE and C4 for both shows.

Dustin, Soky, Rodge, Podge, Bronx Bunny etc all come from Double Z.

IMO a little bit of Irish Begrugery :)

• Advertisement

Hmm guess I was wrong, I was always convinced that P+D were connected to Zig and Zag the voices are very similar. I was sure that P+D were some kind of spin of creation from the younger members of the lambert family.

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Podge_and_Rodge

Yep no lambert family connections according to the link above but P+D did come from Zig and Zag.

Fair enough. No begrudgery though, I just think that Zig and Zag were funny and P+D aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Are the voices of P+R the same voices from Z+Z?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Did anyone else see sinead o'connor on it on Mon night? She seemed so outta it, seemed like she didn't get half their jokes. Worst guest ever

Yep no lambert family connections according to the link above but P+D did come from Zig and Zag.

Sorry, I amn't disputting that R&P are the same guys that do Z&Z and the Bronx Bunny and his co-presenting Panda.

NOTHING TO DO WITH TOAST :)
    Are the voices of P+R the same voices from Z+Z?

YES

Both rodge and podge first appeared on the den in the early 1990's. Initally podge was Zag's evil vantriaquism (sp?) puppet that could only talk to zig.

Yes I realise I know way to much about Zig and Zag and Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Elmo wrote:
    Yes I realise I know way to much about Zig and Zag and Co.
    I wouldn't call that knowing too much. Most Irish people would know that the guys behind P&R are the same guys behind Z&Z

I wouldn't call that knowing too much. Most Irish people would know that the guys behind P&R are the same guys behind Z&Z

I could go on if you really want :) did u read my previous posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Baz99

That Podge & Rodge talk show was never good. And there's that nauseating ladette they have as co-presenter.

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

My feelings also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's stupid. If they are the characters Podge and Rodge they shouldn't be doing false laughing at in jokes with Maxwell or Jason Byrne, and when they move the puppets heads to fein the laughing it looks even worse.

The canned laughter is awful. It's an awful show, take it off the air now.

It is an awfull show they won't last, hopefully. The show is full of dumb cliches and obvious pervy jokes that are meant to shock but only leave a feeling of nausea to anyone over 13 with a brain. RTE obviously do not understand their target audience not a good sign really.

To be honest the P+R show makes me feel that RTE is run by old fogies with walking sticks and big safe bank balances. Old school, unsophisicated muppets, maybe they are just expressing their shortcomings through P+R?

I am actually shocked to think that the great Zig and Zag sold themselves out in the short term for this rubbish show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement