Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm thinking of buying an Hyundai Accent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gyppo wrote:
    btw Colm, have you been away? :) You've been noticeable by your absence!

I'll take that as a compliment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

T'was meant as that, actually.

Yeah you'd think my mechanic would be able to get the part easy enough but no!!! On Tuesday I will be 4 week’s with no car and I am ****ing bulling about it as it's not very cool having to get lifts everywhere and my car was a vital part of my independence`!
    The mechanic is my dad's mate and has been his one for 30 year's so he's doing it very cheaply and he did a week and half diagnostics on the car before he found the problem also.
    A lot of the issue's people are bringing up here in relation to the Accent are well noted but not too important on my priority's in a car
    Look's wise I think the fact it's not a tiny girly car is great
    I'll let ya's know how I get on anyway
    I'm calling AXA to see if I can freeze my insurance for the mean while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

nope don't like them , i want bigger
    i was also looking at a 99 or 2000 focus saloon but havent seen many around in a 1.4
    If you're still looking for the accent PM me, I might have one for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tetsuo_83

If you want a nice car thats not dinky, and your willing to go up to 1.4 engines, hen id look at the following:

VW polo 1.4 16V (nice punch to acceleration and not as small as youd think)
    VW Golf mk IV 1.4 (hard to beat that car for the money you have)
    Ford Puma 1.4 (top gears car of the year when released)
    Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 (fairly large car, reliable too, not very stylish though)
    Mitsubishi Mirage 1.3 (sporty looking, but jap import so ins will go up)
    Mazda 323 1.4 (saloon or coupe, both very reliable)
    Honda Civic 1.4 (great car, but you'll have to live with the image of "girlracer")

Theres loads more out there that are so much nicer, more reliable, better built,etc etc than the accent...it the BLANDEST (is that a word?) car ever made!!! EVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You all keep saying it look's uncool

I think these look grand
    My wheelie bin also looks 'grand'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oral-b

lads lads wat the f,,,k ar u's talkin about leave the lady along wit all u's ar car talk
    hi coolsmile i have a hundy acc
    great car ermm do yea wanna go 4 a drink

hehe:D :p

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I've an Accent. Bought it from new in 2000. Had trouble with the driver side window, got it repeatedly repaired by Hyundai, although once I had to go through Hyundai Head Office. Got it properly fixed in Modo about 3 years ago. A great A to B car. Much cheaper to get your hands on than any of the alternatives offered. I never thought it ugly but beauty as they say is in the eyes of the beholder.
    I intend driving mine until it expires and I don't see it dying any time soon.
    Couldn't put anyone off it as an A to B motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Accent waiting to happen, I reckon. Saw a muppet in a FX Coupe loose it in just at the lucan start of the N4 on Sunday morning. Weird looking in the rear view as the car slid along through the host of lovely daffodils. Geezer was very, very, luckey to hold it and even more so to miss the bridge, the other side of the N4 and all others around him. He had pulled a swift lane change, obligatory spotlights on at 12.00 noon, and lost control. Would be wary of light weight hyundais for that reason alone.

A quick scout on carzone for 2000 to 2002 at 5 to 5.5k, 1 to 1.4L shows up quite a lot. Aside from the ford fiascos and high mile alfas there is quite a few good spec astras, focus, 206's and Meganes. No excuse for a bad accent. Also,the Yaris is a star of a car.

My 2cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Or go mad altogether, there is a nice WH reg MG ZR on carzone at 5,500. Bound to have had one careful owner. The snug fit of the bonnet gives it away.... (-:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

keep the Ka until you can afford something better than an Accent.

Ok admittedly i got sidetracked with the whole car buying lark when i got my KA fixed running perfectly now thank god
    A mate of mine bought a 5 door 98 Hyundai accent with 80000 on it never even got a license and her mother and father drove it when they were ever stuck
    NCT'ed until next august all together 1750 all the extra's

Good deal
    Anything to watch out for, known problems etc?
    i won't have it in my hands until i sell my car so I’m glad I’m buying it from a mate

98 is yucky old model. not worth that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I used to own a 97 3-door Accent many moons ago. It's a cheap reliable motor which counts for something I guess. However, the 1.3l motor is a bit of a trasher, the car feels quite tinny and I wouldn't like to be in it in an accident. The one thing I remember is the tracking got knocked out easily by our crappy roads. Check for uneven front tyre wear and that the car doesn't pull to one side on a straight level road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Ok admittedly i got sidetracked with the whole car buying lark when i got my KA fixed running perfectly now thank god
    A mate of mine bought a 5 door 98 Hyundai accent with 80000 on it never even got a license and her mother and father drove it when they were ever stuck
    NCT'ed until next august all together 1750 all the extra's

Good deal
    Anything to watch out for, known problems etc?
    i won't have it in my hands until i sell my car so I’m glad I’m buying it from a mate

How did you get on? I am thinking of buying Accent 00 reg

I got more money and bought a 00 ford focus saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

00 ford focus saloon

Saved by Jesus! Hallelujah! She saw the light!

but a saloon? (well wear by the way)

what do you mean well wear??
    its a lot better to and easier to drive and its a 1.6 my ins went down by 400 anyway , not sure why?
    well better than a ford ka anyway

'well wear' is something us country people say when someone ets a new car, suppose it means congratulations and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

I drove an accent for a month (rental car). It was an absolute pile of sh1te of a car, noisy, really tinny with crap brakes. Everything about it screams cost saving :-)
    To be honest if you’re ok with that, it will prob run forever and you should go for it. It will get you from a to b reliably and cheaply which may be all you need.
    I personally wouldn’t drive one. Good luck and hope you get a good one. Don’t forget to barter at least 10% of the price privately. Drive some more cars first there’s a lot more out there than accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

its a 1.6 my ins went down by 400 anyway
    Do not understnad why insurance went down on newer more expensive car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do not understnad why insurance went down on newer more expensive car?

She is older, 1 year extra no claims and insurance cost have come down slightly the past few years.

Advertisement