Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking the pill correctly... when would a pregnancy test be accurate (just in case)

• 06-02-2007 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi. I've been going out with my boyfriend for a while+ started taking the combined pill. According to the instructions... you take it day 1..etc etc.. + you are protected immediately. So I took the pill at the same time for 8 days..
    then had sex with out a condom.
    I've been taking the pill correctly+ decided to skip a period+ go straight onto the second packet without a break (it says you're allowed do this).
    Me+ my bf have sex about 2-3 times a week.. depending on when we get to see each other+ as I'm taking the pill correctly, we don't use a condom.
    I was seeing someone before+ we were both virgins at the time, so I went on the pill+ didn't use condoms.. + nothing bad happened. I hope this means that the dosage is correct+ I won't be one of those really really unlucky people who get pregnant while taking the pill.

So I was just wondering, when will a pregnancy test be accurate while on the pill?... I want to take one every now and again.. just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you don't get a period when you are on a break week then you should do a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You should also probably start using condoms unless you have a very good reason not to.
    Last I heard (I may not be up to date), the pill was only 97% effective. That's three women in every hundred who will get pregnant whether or not they use it properly. That's a big chance over the long term.
    (same goes for condoms on their own by the way. The only way to be sure to avoid pregnancy is not to have sex)

• You should also probably start using condoms unless you have a very good reason not to.
    Last I heard (I may not be up to date), the pill was only 97% effective. That's three women in every hundred who will get pregnant whether or not they use it properly. That's a big chance over the long term.
    (same goes for condoms on their own by the way. The only way to be sure to avoid pregnancy is not to have sex)

As far as I'm aware, the failure rate is 3/100 over one year, not with each encounter, so it IS the long term. Still if OP is worried they should also use condoms - there is a very very small risk of pregnancy if both are used correctly.

Advertisement