Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys ST-WRTP54G-UK

Options
  • 06-02-2007 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi

I am a newbie to BB, VOIP and Networks, so any Help and Advice would be greatly appreciated with regards to the following:-

Will this item work in The Republic of Ireland:-

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports WRTP54G-UK

http://www.stuff-uk.net/?s=ST-WRTP54G-UK

If it will work, can I use it with Blueface. The reason I ask this question is that it mentions Vonage in marketing information and I am wondering if it is locked to Vonage.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and for any replies.

CADman

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It _appears_ to have RJ11 ports for phones which is what we use (the fat UK connnectors are RJ44) . It seems to me the UK would need an adapter in each port for their phone but that we can plug straight in.

Therefore it should work here, yes. Its a good price for a wireless router with built in ATA (a Voip to phone convertor) ....never mind two ATAs

You could log into 2 VoIp providers at the same time and have a phone for each .

Tell us how it goes for you... out of interest, its a new piece of Kit to me and there is also a Voip board here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only some of these gadgets allow per SIP / Phone port provider. Others have a separate page to configure SIP server, so only one provider can be used.

Dlink, Netgear, ZyXel and Fritz have similar boxes, they along with Linksys all work here. Very hard to find SIP equipment suppliers as most SIP gear is sold by Operators (esp. Cable) and most in USA. Skype is more popular here.

Unless you get VOIP from your own ISP, AND they have LLU, AND they implement a VOIP quality scheme, the audio will be poor at times and it will rarely support Fax/Phonewatch/Digibox/Dialup Modem.

3rd party operators like Blueface, Smart076, "One World Nework" and Vonage (or even Skype) can't implement any QOS at all. It can be worse at times than bad mobile or at other times fine.

Without QOS VOIP management by the ISP and a voice gateway on the ISP's own network and LLU, it is nearly impossible to have a quality equivalent to Packet Voice VOIP on Cable Operator's Modem, much less a regular phone line.

Thus the only VOIP that can even in theory deliver decent service is Digiweb Metro, UPC's NTL/Chorus (where fixed) and Smart & Magnet on their own LLU service or Fibre.

Unless it says it is locked for Vonage/sold by Vonage (avoid eBay on this one!) it probably is not locked. Some ATAs are easily unlocked and some claim they can't be. :)

Netgear have essentially the same NAT/Router/WiFi/dual SIP-Phone/4-ethernet in four versions:
    ADSL, Cable, WAN ethernet port and PCMCIA/PC-Card slot (for 3rd party RF Modem cards such as HSDPA/3G/GPRS, iBurst, Flash-OFDM, IPW, ZTE and RipWave in theory, though I don't know which of these have Netgear drivers).

dunno if that model will take dd-wrt , see here

its a very sophisticated OS for a wireless routermaYoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CADman

Thanks Sponge Bob for the input, I found your point about duel VoIP Provider very interesting, I must research it further

Thanks Watty, but you have me confused:-

***Unless you get VOIP from your own ISP, AND they have LLU, AND they implement a VOIP quality scheme, the audio will be poor at times and it will rarely support Fax/Phonewatch/Digibox/Dialup Modem. ***

Are you saying the only way I will obtain a viable VoIP service, is if it is supplied by my Internet Service Provider?
    Also what do the following, amongst others mean?
    SIP / Phone port provider, QOS VOIP management, LLU service, HSDPA/3G/GPRS, iBurst, Flash-OFDM, IPW, ZTE and RipWave

As previously stated I am a new to this area of computing, so any Help and Advice would be greatly appreciated.

To clarify my intentions

My BB, ISP is PermaNET via an ARRIS Touchstone CM450 Cable Modem, which as both a USB and Ethernet 10/100 Port.

I would like to set up a wireless net work, consisting of 2 desk top PC’s, a laptop and with the ability to connect to VoIP.

With the later possibility of expanding to include printers and plotters etc.

To enable me to do this, I am thinking of purchasing the following items of kit:

Linksys WRTP54G-UK Router.

Linksys WMP54G PCI Cards (non required for the laptop)

I propose using my existing analogue phones with Blueface or some other VoIP provider.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and for any replies.

CADman

CADman wrote:
    Are you saying the only way I will obtain a viable VoIP service, is if it is supplied by my Internet Service Provider?
    well thats a bit harsh, lets say that your own ISP could control the variables a bit more so it should be better. Having said that all the DSL providers such as BT and Digiweb and Eircom do provide good links. Therefore going with Blueface is not a big problem with any of them in my experience.
    Also what do the following, amongst others mean?
    SIP / Phone port provider, QOS VOIP management,
    Voip :p
    LLU service
    DSL:p
    HSDPA/3G/GPRS
    BB from mobile companies like Voda.
    iBurst, Flash-OFDM, IPW, ZTE and RipWave
    BB from non mobile wireless companies like IBB
    To enable me to do this, I am thinking of purchasing the following items of kit:

Linksys WRTP54G-UK Router.

Linksys WMP54G PCI Cards (non required for the laptop)
    You should be grand so. that router should work with permanet with one proviso, can you ask permanet if they assign a public IP to one pc from their unit or if their unit does DHCP instead (meaning the permanet box assigns 192.168.n.n IP addresses and settings for your entire network.

If they say its a public then its a bit harder to set up but not a horror , I would bring it into their office and pay then a few €€€s for 30 mins work if I were the nervous type.

Permanet are a good wireless provider and their service should support Voip like a good dsl service should.
    I propose using my existing analogue phones with Blueface or some other VoIP provider.
    and yes the phones should plug straight into the router.

blueface will give you a few settings (about 3 or 4) to put into the router so you log into them automatically .

for someone who is 'clueless' you sure found yourself the right all in one box, well done :D

tell us how it goes, those with IBB breeze would be very interested I am sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

Hi CADman

I was just wondering if you ordered the WRTP54G in the end? Have you been able to set it up etc. I'm looking at getting it myself and just wondering about it.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

iBurst - now there is a blast from the past - Did Kyrocera not stop makiing that recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nope. Still used in Hot places like Africa. But ZTE is mopping up there due to Chines government deals over resources with Governments. The World Bank is carefully watching how the money is getting spent on Wireless Broadband there. Maybe they funding part of it.

Advertisement