Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing Questions - Rent a room?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I am in the process of buying an apartment on the Affordable Housing Scheme from Dublin City Council. At the viewing I asked if I could rent a room to which no was the answer. This seems absurd and my cousin recently bought on the Fingal scheme and was told that she could. Another friend is getting a 3 bed house on the Fingal scheme and was told he could rent up to two of the rooms.

Some other quesions for anyone that has completed the process :

1. how long does the process take from handing in all your documentaton - ie
    loan approval etc, to getting your keys? ...i was told by the council that it would take about 3 - 4 months? it had to go to the monthly council meeting to be approved and then to the council's legal department for 8 weeks or so

2. how long must you live in the property - the full 20 years?

3. what documentation is signed when you actually get your keys?

...any views on this would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The Rent-a-room scheme is an arrangement between you and the Revenue Commissioners, not the Council. Providing you are not relying on rent-a-room scheme income as reckoning towards your approved mortgage, there is no reason that the council need ever know about it. The Rent-a-room scheme is not considered to be a tenancy and does not confer any rights on the person who rents a room- so the interest of the Council in the property is not impinged on.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Doctorious

thanks for that....i never mentioned it to the building society when interviewed.i have already received my loan offer letter and certificate of loan approval although one of the conditions stated on the loan offer letter is that i write a letter stating that it is my intention to rent a room to augment my income....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

"Officially" you're not meant to rent a room out with the Dublin City Council scheme. If your partner moved in and contributed something to the mortgage then that would be ok as it would be an agreement between yourself and your partner.

Advertisement