Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Do You Buy Your Books?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Apart from the obvious answer of "a bookshop", I was wondering where people purchase their books. I use Play.com and Amazom.com myself. Any other sites people could direct me to?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have only ever bought one two books online. Got them from Amazon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I feel guilty about it, but I usually go to Amazon too. Otherwise when I am in Dublin I go to Read's in Nassau Street. The reason I feel guilty is that if I want to buy meat or fish I go to a real butcher or fishmonger, not Tesco or Dunne's or SuperValu because they sell ****e, and I feel I ought to go to a real bookshop for books. But I don't know of any. Eason's don't count, because they have been ripping us off for years and the sooner Amazon drives them into insolvency the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Amazon.co.uk Marketplace, theres a decent saving on some of the books when you get them through other sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

When I buy online I use http://www.find-book.co.uk/ to find the cheapest site for the book I'm after.

http://www.thebookpeople.ie is always worth a look too, small selection but great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Hodges & Figgis, Amazon.co.uk, ebay.ie and abebooks.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

www.biblio.com

good bargains sometimes!

Second hand book stores can be great too.. where abouts do you live in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Usually buy from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk but usually rely on reviews / further information from off-line shops mainly, and other websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Karoma wrote:
    Usually buy from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk but usually rely on reviews / further information from off-line shops mainly, and other websites.

I do too and find their selection brilliant and free postage too! Was able to get the complete reginald perrin omnibus and Jodi Picoult books that aren't published in Ireland yet, so it was a righ little gem. Wouldn't go beyond them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

http://www.thebookpeople.ie is always worth a look too, small selection but great prices.

Thanks for that. Just got some reference books and about 15 novels for €55 with free p&p. I don't know whether to hug you or smack me.

I normally buy my academic books on e-bay (although postage can be a stinger) or if they're not available there, Amazon. It's rare that I'd get a book for college in a shop since I got the credit card. However, I'll buy books anywhere I see them if I want them. I find Easons have a woeful selection at times. I love sales in Waterstones and H&F, I adore Chapters, O'Mahony's in Limerick is alright, I love book stalls. I nearly died when I was in London. I only allowed myself to go into two shops on Charing Cross Rd. and had to be dragged out If I hadn't had so little luggage space, I'd have taken half the road back with me. I'm a fiend for buying things. I got about 30 books over christmas this year, and I have a huge backlog from when I was an undergrad, I don't know where I can even store the books I have anymore, about 20 of them are in bags, I have boxes full at home... mental. I love them all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In Ireland I always liked Chapters for a good bargain :)

If any of you are ever in Cambridge you MUST visit Galloway and Porter.

They have one shop and a warehouse. The shop is absolutely amazing. The books are not second-hand or used. I bought my copy of Jonathon Norrell and Mr. Strange there for £2.95, two months after the book was released. I got Stephen Kings Cell in Hardback for £1 and a signed copy of Bill Cullens 'It's a long way from Penny Apples for £1.

It's just a pity that they don't have an online shop but as I say if you are ever in Cambridge it's well worth a visit.

I generally just buy used books from Charity shops these days unless it's a special occassion such as Christmas and my Birthday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Anywhere that I spot a book that I want. I have zero loyalty. :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    If any of you are ever in Cambridge you MUST visit Galloway and Porter.

I might be over there for training. Bookmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I usually just go to Hodges Figgis or Waterstones, they're the best bookshops in town and right beside each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Thank you in particular for that link to the Book Depository, I shall be using that site in future! :)

I also find H&F on Dawson Street to be a great place to browse entire sections and for sampling books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Amazon if I want something that's not available easy and fast in Ireland. Otherwise Dubray, Hodges Figgis, Rathgar Bookshop, Read's, Green's Library in Clare Street, the Oxfam bookshop (if it's still there, haven't been in Parliament Street in a bit), Eason's, Chapters, the secondhand bookshop that used to be a bank and turned into a Polish food shop so moved two doors up and upstairs in Rathmines beside the Stella, Books Upstairs. Used to go to the Winding Stair but I think it may be gone now (?) and loved Webb's, which is long gone. Oh, and the Secret Bookstore in Wicklow/Exchequer Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When I'm not buying cheap paperbacks in the usual spots I'm augmenting my library with fine books from The Folio Society

nesf wrote:

Me neither! :o

I don't particularly like Easons though myself.. I would prefer HF or a book store with some character. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dubray books, recently adverts.ie as I got 6 on friday and want 5 more off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I have recently discovered the joys of Ebay for buying rare academic books (specially ones from Italy...). Normally I buy books from just about anywhere really. Bookshops in any city I am in, Amazon, Amazon marketplace, publishers' websites... anywhere I find a book I want/need :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

nesf wrote:
    Ditto! :D

I have recently discovered the joys of Ebay for buying rare academic books (specially ones from Italy...). Normally I buy books from just about anywhere really. Bookshops in any city I am in, Amazon, Amazon marketplace, publishers' websites... anywhere I find a book I want/need :D
    Why do you mention Italy? Just curious! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Why do you mention Italy? Just curious! :p
    Oh yeah, that'd be because I am researching Italian history for my PhD... forgot that might have sounded a little strange :o

Oh yeah, that'd be because I am researching Italian history for my PhD... forgot that might have sounded a little strange :o

:D lol no no, I fretted I might have been asking a silly question!
    Cool! Sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Slow coach wrote:
    When I'm not buying cheap paperbacks in the usual spots I'm augmenting my library with fine books from The Folio Society

Yeah I've been staring at them for ages. They do very nice editions of books and there's usually something in their catalogues that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

John wrote:
    Hodges & Figgis, Amazon.co.uk, ebay.ie and abebooks.com

www.Abebooks.com for me as well; just received a shipment of 17 books I managed to sneak into the house before the better half spotted me.

The shipping is a pain - generally $3 or $4 per book, but at $1 it sort of works out OK. Obviously it's only a good site when you know what you're looking for, but I managed to get a load of books I lost over the years, and also used the "10 books" sticky to get some inspiration. The books are generally in very used condition, and probably ex-library books, but once it's legible and intact, it really doesn't bother me at all.

Failing that, if I'm passing Blackrock market on a weekend, I'll drop in and see what's in stock in the stall near the entrance.

I got some rare neuroscience books from the twenties and forties from abebooks recently. My next target for my collection is unfortunately well over €350 for the cheapest copy and I just got outbid on it on ebay for only £50! :mad:

eoin_s wrote:
    www.Abebooks.com for me as well; just received a shipment of 17 books I managed to sneak into the house before the better half spotted me.

The shipping is a pain - generally $3 or $4 per book, but at $1 it sort of works out OK. Obviously it's only a good site when you know what you're looking for.......

For shipping that's really good. On biblio.com I pay $9 per book shipping, so it can add up. I'm going to add abebooks.com to my favourites. Will check it out over the next few days. Biblio.com is still good value compared to buying new sometimes though too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

amazon, litriocht.com, Waterstone's and Vibes and Scribes in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Amazon, Waterstones, Easons.

Advertisement